Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Ticket in israel

EPL

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 3:03 pm
My daughter , who is a new Oleh , was rushing to work and ran across the street after the light changed. She was shocked when a young female officer called her over and gave her a ticket for 100 shekalim. Even after explaining that she had just made aliyah, and wasn't aware of this law, and everyone does this in N.Y., the officer had no sympathy and still gave her the ticket. We are all surprised , since we thought Israelis are very warm and sympathetic towards new Olim.

Success10

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 3:07 pm
Welcome to Israel (to your daughter)! From what I understand, crossing on the light is illegal in NY too. I'm not fully understanding what shocked your daughter about getting the ticket.

Last edited by Success10 on Sun, Jun 28 2020, 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rappel

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 3:10 pm
That's a first. I've never heard of people getting tickets for jaywalking here. I'm sure it's illegal, but but I've never heard it being enforced.

Yalla, at least 100 shekels aren't the end of the world. She'll pay it, and probably cross more safely from now on. It would be more effort to fight it then to earn 100 shekels back.

Success10

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 3:11 pm
Rappel wrote:
That's a first. I've never heard of people getting tickets for jaywalking here. I'm sure it's illegal, but but I've never heard it being enforced.

Yalla, at least 100 shekels aren't the end of the world. She'll pay it, and probably cross more safely from now on.

It happens all the time. Not to me, but for sure I've heard of it happening.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 3:11 pm
If your daughter didn't understand a Hebrew sign, I can see the officer being lenient. But not crossing the street on red? That's the law all over the planet.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 3:22 pm
I once got a ticket for this.

I put it on my desk, meaning to get around to paying it, but by the time I did, penalties had been added, so it's best to pay it promptly.

shabbatiscoming

EPL wrote:
My daughter , who is a new Oleh , was rushing to work and ran across the street after the light changed. She was shocked when a young female officer called her over and gave her a ticket for 100 shekalim. Even after explaining that she had just made aliyah, and wasn't aware of this law, and everyone does this in N.Y., the officer had no sympathy and still gave her the ticket. We are all surprised , since we thought Israelis are very warm and sympathetic towards new Olim.
Just because everyone does something does not make it legal :/

Elfrida

The officer was lenient. They can give an on the spot fine of up to 500 NIS for crossing on a red light. While a police officer may have been sympathtic to an olah chadasha, drawing comparisons/arguing and saying that it is ok in NY probably wasnt the best way to go about winning her sympathy. The police officer probably had a quota to fill, anyway. Once they've written a ticket I don't know if they can cancel it.

Just because everyone does it in NY doesn't mean that it is legal there either. Here they just enforce that law more strictly.

Sometimes being meek rather than arguing can help. I once came out of the hospital, still in uniform, and got caught crossing on a red light. The police officer asked if I had seen the red light, and I agreed that I had.

He asked, in that case, why did I cross. I looked pathetic and mumbled something about a hard shift.

He looked sympathetic. And asked if someone had died. They hadn't on that shift, and I said something about not exactly... leaving blank the details of what had actually happened. He decided to let me off with a warning to be more careful in future.

Since then I have indeed been careful to make sure there are no police officers around when I choose to cross on a red light!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 3:55 pm
Congrats on her Aliyah! Israelis generally ARE very warm and welcoming, but they are also very interested in not scraping you off of the pavement.

Israeli drivers can be crazy, and come out of nowhere. Many of the streets are blind curves, and you can't assume anything.

Consider this a kappara, and she should be very careful crossing the streets from now on.

It's all from Hashem. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions