Home

Aliya help RBS
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries and Aliyah Questions


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 12:29 am
My husband and I would like to make aliya. We have teenagers who are on board but we need to move to an anglo area to help them feel comfortable. We would most likely start out in RBS.

We are very concerned about job opportunities. Neither my husband or I have college degrees. My husband is a musician and gives music lessons. I am a gym teacher. Neither of us are currently fluent in hebrew. Are there realistic job prospects for us? Will my husband be able to make a living doing what he does here in the US? That earn enough money to support a family? Are there many people who are interested and willing to pay for private music lessons? My husband plays multiple instruments but he's not classically trained.

Would it be wise for one or both of us to get an online bachelors degree before we move?
Back to top

twizzlers1




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:33 am
Hi I live in RBS and I'm happy to help with other things but I'm not so sure that I'm the best person to help with the jobs. I know that schools hire gym teachers but I don't know without Hebrew that you can do that. I know that there are people who post about looking for music lessons and people posting that they give them. honestly with the economy the way it is I don't know if people are spending as much money on extracurriculars as they did before. I'm sure there are plenty of people that still do but the question is if it's enough to provide a good income. there are tons of people that speak English here but I really feel like if you know Hebrew that that would widen your job pool.

I do have teenagers though and I know that coming days are with them is not easy but it is true that our neighborhood probably is the one neighborhood that has tons of English and that they could integrate. Most of my kids schools are 90% English speaking. If they are on board the chances of success are probably much better. You can feel free to PM me if I can help you with anything else.
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:17 am
I don't think the schools will hire a teacher without a degree, unless you have some equivalent training and qualifications that is recognized in Israel. But really, the language is likely to be even more of a barrier. You could run private chugim (after school groups/activities) in English, but it may take time to build up.

If your husband is working privately the degree is less of an issue. I don't know what the market for private music lessons would be, but again it would take time to build up.

Learning Hebrew is the most important thing you can do. It would help your teenagers as well to have some command if the language before they try entering the school system.
Back to top

amother




Orchid
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:56 am
I hate to say it but I think finances will be difficult for you.
Sports teachers and music instructors don't make tons.
I do know a gentleman who runs a set of running chugim in BS/RBS and the Gush and several other places and probably does OK.
And a few ladies have started music schools. I have no idea how they do.
I don't believe those fields will support a family in RBS.
Also, RBS is quite expensive.
I'm sorry I don't have better news.

Getting an online degree would benefit your family but you'd need to do some research into the right degree.
Maybe technical writing?
Back to top

amother




Pink
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 3:07 am
Unless you have savings or at least own your home you won't be able to live on those salaries. An unqualified teacher gets paid very little and teaching gym and music is unlikely to be full time.
A random degree will also not help much. You need to study with a plan of what job it will lead to.
High tech is a field that you can work on English in. A course in Internet marketing, seo etc are more useful than a first degree in science or music.
Back to top

amother




Ginger
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 3:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My husband and I would like to make aliya. We have teenagers who are on board but we need to move to an anglo area to help them feel comfortable. We would most likely start out in RBS.

We are very concerned about job opportunities. Neither my husband or I have college degrees. My husband is a musician and gives music lessons. I am a gym teacher. Neither of us are currently fluent in hebrew. Are there realistic job prospects for us? Will my husband be able to make a living doing what he does here in the US? That earn enough money to support a family? Are there many people who are interested and willing to pay for private music lessons? My husband plays multiple instruments but he's not classically trained.

Would it be wise for one or both of us to get an online bachelors degree before we move?


First of all, a degree on its own won't necessarily help you much at all. In your fields, you would need a degree and a teaching diploma. If you both had one, and you found work in Israeli high schools, you could earn a decent wage (starting 8000 nis each). There are a few 'howevers' though.

First - it's hard to find a job as a gym teacher. It takes a while, and the first few years you usually need to split your position between a few schools.
It's even harder to find a job as a music teacher. Very few schools here teach music as a subject. (AS a side point, if you are both English speakers, teaching English is a field really in demand).

Second - before starting any online degree program, check to see it's recognized in Israel. A lot of these online things are not recognized here at all. You need to look up משרד החינוך's number, and they have a department that you email to ask if a degree will be recognized.

There are all kinds of chugim given in schools, like Keren Karev etc. I am not sure how much the teachers earn there, but I do know a music teacher who works pretty full time in these school chugim. It's enrichment during school hours, but it's not official teaching.

This same music teacher also earns money in the evening by running music events for kids (they all play drums for example) and at ganim etc.
Back to top

amother




Silver
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:15 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
(AS a side point, if you are both English speakers, teaching English is a field really in demand).


Just a side note, as an English teacher in Israel I must warn in advance that you need a very good command of HEBREW to teach English in Israeli schools. I stress this because I know of many who failed because their Hebrew was not up to par and they couldn't explain things to kids here.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:03 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Unless you have savings or at least own your home you won't be able to live on those salaries. An unqualified teacher gets paid very little and teaching gym and music is unlikely to be full time.
A random degree will also not help much. You need to study with a plan of what job it will lead to.
High tech is a field that you can work on English in. A course in Internet marketing, seo etc are more useful than a first degree in science or music.


Can you or someone else please elaborate on taking a course in internet marketing. What is seo?

Is this your field and you have first hand info?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:06 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Just a side note, as an English teacher in Israel I must warn in advance that you need a very good command of HEBREW to teach English in Israeli schools. I stress this because I know of many who failed because their Hebrew was not up to par and they couldn't explain things to kids here.


I have heard that.

Currently our hebrew is very weak. I am looking to explore our options for jobs we can do pretty much right away. Even after ulpan I don't know how strong our hebrew will be.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:14 am
Just to clarify, here in the US my husband does not teach music in school. He gives private lessons in people's homes. He also plays as a one man band. And he also started doing some studio recording but that is a new endeavor that he doesn't have much work yet.

Does any of that exist in RBS?

In any other english speaking area? Religious wise we are middle of the road. So while in the US we are in the black hat umbrella, we don't have to be in Israel. I think in some ways we would fit in better in a right wing DL community. My first choice was RBS because I have a close family member living there. I also assumed we would need a large community because my husband would need a larger pool of people to attract enough work.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:15 am
Thanks everyone for your insight! Much appreciated! Please keep it coming!
Back to top

amother




Gold
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:22 am
RBS definitely has a large RW DL community.
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:40 am
A one man band is often hired for low key weddings or bar Mitzvahs. He'd have to make sure he was up to date on the locally preferred songs, and it may take time to build up.a reputation, but its doable. I don't know if it would earn enough to live off, but it could be some income. Speaking hebrew would help, but it might be possible to manage without.

Classes in peoples homes aren't happening at the moment. I doubt that will resume in any serious way until next spring. Does he have any way to teach through the computer?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:50 am
Elfrida wrote:
A one man band is often hired for low key weddings or bar Mitzvahs. He'd have to make sure he was up to date on the locally preferred songs, and it may take time to build up.a reputation, but its doable. I don't know if it would earn enough to live off, but it could be some income. Speaking hebrew would help, but it might be possible to manage without.

Classes in peoples homes aren't happening at the moment. I doubt that will resume in any serious way until next spring. Does he have any way to teach through the computer?


He currently has students over zoom. He said he could keep his American students and teach over zoom from Israel. I thought it was a great idea but I'm nervous to rely only on that for two reasons:

1. The working hours are real killers. He teaches in the late afternoon- night in the US. That means working from midnight to 6 or 7 a.m.

2. What if people are only doing zoom now because they have no choice and when things are normal they will want an in person teacher? Truthfully, my husband's students have all said they have been really happy and haven't felt the difference but maybe new people won't be willing to start?

Thoughts?
Back to top

amother




Brown
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:02 am
My husband is also a music teacher and we would also like to move but not sure if we can make it financially. You two sound almost like me and my husband ! I’m a nutritionist. Maybe we both should start something together?? 😄 Maybe you could work at like a health/gym place. Your husband would have to do lots of private lessons because I’m not sure which school would hire without degree. Good luck!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:21 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
My husband is also a music teacher and we would also like to move but not sure if we can make it financially. You two sound almost like me and my husband ! I’m a nutritionist. Maybe we both should start something together?? 😄 Maybe you could work at like a health/gym place. Your husband would have to do lots of private lessons because I’m not sure which school would hire without degree. Good luck!


Sounds like a dream!!

But realistically, we don't have the money to start up a gym. And in todays climate I don't think it's a wise decision. In the best of times, it's really hard to turn a profit from owning a gym.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 9:23 am
I am open to retraining. I don't think I am eligible to be retrained through the aliya program because I'm too old (late 30's). Am I correct?

I am looking for options.
Back to top

amother




Linen
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:06 am
Elfrida wrote:
A one man band is often hired for low key weddings or bar Mitzvahs. He'd have to make sure he was up to date on the locally preferred songs, and it may take time to build up.a reputation, but its doable. I don't know if it would earn enough to live off, but it could be some income. Speaking hebrew would help, but it might be possible to manage without.

Classes in peoples homes aren't happening at the moment. I doubt that will resume in any serious way until next spring. Does he have any way to teach through the computer?


One man band can make 300-500 shekels an hour. So even at 300 shekels - a starter fee an event being 3 hours is 900 shekels. Have 6-7 events a month and you are doing quite decently.
Back to top

chanchy123




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just to clarify, here in the US my husband does not teach music in school. He gives private lessons in people's homes. He also plays as a one man band. And he also started doing some studio recording but that is a new endeavor that he doesn't have much work yet.

.

Those all exist in Israel, but as a previous poster wrote people are starting to cut back on things like that. Another thing for you to consider, in normal times, would be private sports after school classes. There usually is a market for private music teacher and one man bands but in this climate who knows. Online degrees as degrees don’t help much. It is better to learn a marketable skill.
Back to top

chanchy123




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 10:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He currently has students over zoom. He said he could keep his American students and teach over zoom from Israel. I thought it was a great idea but I'm nervous to rely only on that for two reasons:

1. The working hours are real killers. He teaches in the late afternoon- night in the US. That means working from midnight to 6 or 7 a.m.

2. What if people are only doing zoom now because they have no choice and when things are normal they will want an in person teacher? Truthfully, my husband's students have all said they have been really happy and haven't felt the difference but maybe new people won't be willing to start?

Thoughts?

Once people start having in person classes your husband can start recruiting local students.
Back to top
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries and Aliyah Questions

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Head Banging - Help!
by amother
44 Today at 10:47 pm View last post
Help!!! Smell of bowel movement all over my house
by amother
15 Today at 8:32 pm View last post
Please help me choose kitchen cabinets, counters andfloors
by amother
65 Today at 1:53 pm View last post
Experienced mothers help my sleep deprived child
by amother
0 Today at 1:30 pm View last post
Help me decide which refrigerator to buy
by amother
6 Today at 1:26 pm View last post

Jump to: