Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Texas hospitals overrun with Covid patients
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:22 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
If she's assuming 7000 cases per day, 500 new ICU admissions means only 2% ICU.

Hospitals do have some ability to shift regular beds to ICU. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Thank you...
I calculated 2% of the registered cases needing ICU indeed, but that might be much too low, the real figure might be around 7% or 10%...

The Texas hospitals already started converting regular hospital beds to ICU, they stopped non-essential interventions, etc...

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:24 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Many of the protestors come from a population that was already hit hard. The national guard members may have been more cautious.

You are making the assumption that national guard members are not from the same community as the protesters/rioters. The point being that tracers and places doing testing need to ask if the person they are testing were at the protests/riots. Why are you so afraid to know the truth?

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:25 pm
gold21 wrote:
There are no elderly people on KJ?

Or rather, are there so many young children KA"H that the mean age skews in that direction, despite many elderly people residing there as well.

I suppose both...

There are many children, which lowers the mean age, but I suppose that the percentage of old people in KJ is lower than in the average US district...

Meaning: the age pyramid in KJ is still a pyramid with a wide base and a small top... while it has become a cylinder or even a tree in other regions...

https://www.census.gov/quickfa.....00218

Here: Palmtree town, that's KJ, right?

People over 65: 2,1%

Total population: 26'886

so that would mean about 550 persons over 65 in the whole city...

So this would probably mean a maximum of 100 persons over 80 in KJ...

So I suppose 14 deaths from Covid or less is what you would expect...

Last edited by Ora in town on Mon, Jun 29 2020, 5:27 pm; edited 3 times in total

pause

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:29 pm
Amarante wrote:
If you are attempting to criticize me, I believe that science is apolitical.

Well, it isn't. It should be. But it isn't.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:31 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Many of the protestors come from a population that was already hit hard. The national guard members may have been more cautious.

With Covid-19 who knows?

Masks were worn by more of the protestors as the National Guard did not seem to be wearing masks.

However, it is really difficult since Covid did not rise in certain locations with a lot of protests - e.g. Minneapolis.

My initial point is that it is well documented that opening bars represents more of a risk to the general levels of infection because a mask CANNOT be worn while drinking or eating and conversely being outside seems to have a reduced risk.

Therefore there is a valid public health reason to close bars. I don't understand how anyone can eat in an inside restaurant either although those still remain open.

gold21

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:41 pm
Amarante wrote:
With Covid-19 who knows?

Masks were worn by more of the protestors as the National Guard did not seem to be wearing masks.

However, it is really difficult since Covid did not rise in certain locations with a lot of protests - e.g. Minneapolis.

My initial point is that it is well documented that opening bars represents more of a risk to the general levels of infection because a mask CANNOT be worn while drinking or eating and conversely being outside seems to have a reduced risk.

Therefore there is a valid public health reason to close bars. I don't understand how anyone can eat in an inside restaurant either although those still remain open.

I totally hear you about bars.

As for restaurants, I disagree. Social distancing is more effective than mask wearing. Place distance between tables. Waiter wears mask. Viola.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:43 pm
gold21 wrote:
I totally hear you about bars.

As for restaurants, I disagree. Social distancing is more effective than mask wearing. Place distance between tables. Waiter wears mask. Viola.

We each have our own risk levels.

I have seen the diagram of how the Covid virus circulated among tables at a restaurant in Hong Kong. One person was infected and people far from his table got infected because of how air conditioning sent the air around.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 5:52 pm
The air conditioning issue would apply to any place indoors.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 5:52 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
You are making the assumption that national guard members are not from the same community as the protesters/rioters. The point being that tracers and places doing testing need to ask if the person they are testing were at the protests/riots. Why are you so afraid to know the truth?

The concern is that people prefer not disclosing their political activism. The government asking people to reveal whether they participated in an anti-government protest can be seen as undemocratic.

Perhaps the benefit to public health should outweigh that concern. If there had been a major spike in places that had 1- major protests and 2 - test-and-trace initiatives that would probably become a more relevant debate.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 5:53 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:

The concern is specifically indoors where people don't wear masks because they're eating/drinking/singing.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 6:13 pm

youngishbear responded but I will add that I wasn’t focusing on air conditioning per se but that when one is in an indoor space, it generally requires some form of internal air circulating so any aerosolized virus will be wafted around the room.

One can protect themselves in enclosed areas by wearing a mask since social distancing by itself wouldn’t be fully protective since the air itself can be a source of infection even if one is more than six feet away.

That is why outdoors is safer than any indoor space especially in an environment that prevents one from wearing a mask. Masks also protect the person wearing the mask although some masks are more protective and nothing is foolproof.

However there are now diagrams showing how people get infected if they are in enclosed spaces even if they are more than six feet from the infected person.

It is why opening the economy up without having put into place strong preventative measures isn’t helping the economy because it will all be closed again with many people sick.

The EU and Asia have effectively flattened the curve versus the US which is surging. They had effective public health measures followed by their citizens versus the US failure to a great extent. There were some successes like NY which were hit hard but seem to have effectively flattened the curve like the EU.

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, Jun 29 2020, 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 6:37 pm
Right a surge two weeks after the protests/riots...

pretty sad that politics overrode the health need of all of us to track and prevent or prevent and trace

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 6:46 pm
Are you serious?

You do know that China hid the plague until it was spread all over the world right?

We saw videos of Chinese military forcibly chasing old people down and locking them into their homes with metal closures and barricades. People dropping dead in the street in China! The WHO and others fought every protective measure and kept pretending there was no pandemic for months!

B"H we do not live in a communist totalitarian country.

Interesting that this is what you admire...?

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 6:52 pm
Are you serious?

You do know that China hid the plague until it was spread all over the world right?

We saw videos of Chinese military forcibly chasing old people down and locking them into their homes with metal closures and barricades. People dropping dead in the street in China!

B"H we do not live in a communist totalitarian country.

Interesting that this is what you admire...?

South Korea did it.
Israel did it.
Singapore did it.
Japan did it.
Taiwan did it.

The only ones who are really, really bad at this are the USA, some european countries, and Brazil... oh, and Iran...

Why?

Do the Americans strive for the world record? World record in fatalities is not enough, they also want to surpass some very small countries in fatalities per capita????

Last edited by Ora in town on Mon, Jun 29 2020, 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 6:57 pm
I am assuming people here know enough geography.
You do realize you are comparing very small countries to a very large country right?

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 7:00 pm
You do realize you are comparing very small countries to a very large country right?

Right. If there had been border restrictions preventing movement between states it would have helped. But you can’t really do that, though they seem to be trying now.
The entire Europe is about the same size as the USA. But because the individual countries can be blocked off, it was possible to contain the virus.

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 7:35 pm

That's why I said China.
China is bigger.
China stopped at 3000 fatalities or so...
USA are over125'000 fatalities...

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 7:44 pm
Ora in town wrote:
That's why I said China.
China is bigger.
China stopped at 3000 fatalities or so...
USA are over125'000 fatalities...

I don’t for a second believe any numbers that China puts out.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 7:56 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I don’t for a second believe any numbers that China puts out.

That is what I've been hearing about the US. Many Western countries believe that there are serious inaccuracies in the reporting from the US.
There is a significant discrepancy between reported Covid fatalities and the excess deaths for the same time period.
There is also an incredibly high rate of positives, 1 out of every 12 tests comes up positive.
For comparison, the UK has administered more tests per capita and 1 out of 30 has been positive.
All the indicators point to a reality that is way worse than what is being reported.

The tone from some of the American leadership further exacerbates the feeling that American data can not be fully trusted. There is a reason why the Canada/US border is closed for the foreseeable future.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:20 pm
China LOL!
China should be paying reparations to the world for what their government did!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics