Home

Daycamps taking advantage of situation?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:34 pm
I'm sending to three different places, and each of them somehow shortened the hours each day and/or the amount of days of day camp.
Of course pricing stayed the same. At first I was too excited about the day camps opening that I didn't realize/overthink/ care. But now I kinda feel ripped off. Mad
Back to top

keym




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:40 pm
Ask the camps straight up- why.
I did.
Do you know the cost of Purell, handsoap, extra cleaning services, masks, gloves, more/larger classrooms, bringing entertainment and activities to camp, thermometers, individually packaged food and crafts, multiple sports equipment so groups don't share, busses with less kids allowed so hiring more.
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:42 pm
and many are able to take a fewer number of kids as well
Back to top

Blessing1




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:42 pm
My kids was the same price and same schedule as usual bh.
Back to top

keym




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:43 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
and many are able to take a fewer number of kids as well


And have to hire more staff for those fewer kids.
Back to top

amother




Slateblue
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 1:57 pm
I don't really know the logic. My kids started cheder classes a few weeks ago at reduced hours. We were fine with it as it was a bonus. Their cheder continues till end of July as do most chedarim here. But now that daycamp is allowed to be open why can't cheder go back to regular starting time at 9 or 9:30?
I'm not going to complain as I'm just happy they're getting structure in their day but it does make me wonder if they're just taking advantage of the status quo.
Back to top

amother




Coffee
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:01 pm
Probably due to regulations with how often occupied spaces need to be cleaned.
Back to top

notshanarishona




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:14 pm
Camp costs have nearly doubled by me also. I think smaller groups and frequent cleaning does add to the cost, now sure by how much. I am guessing it’s a combination of taking advantage and increased costs.
Back to top

amother




Coffee
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:26 pm
I meant to say, the shorter hours are probably due to required frequency of cleaning. Bathrooms, stair railings, door knobs, tables in common areas etc. Where I live, I think requirements are 1x an hour. So cutting back on hours for school or camp lessens the need as well as costs for the cleaning crew.
Back to top

amother




Yellow
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:41 pm
I would personally be suspicious if a camp didn’t reduce services and/or raise rates.

To operate with appropriate safety measures is expensive. I would imagine some are cutting corners because many camps ran the numbers and didn’t open because they couldn’t afford to.
Back to top

amother




Rose
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 2:53 pm
Idk, sounds funny to me too. Yes there are extra costs this year but camps are getting grants to help pay for them. But most importantly there are no trips this year! City day camps where I live do a full day trip at least once a week. Not possible for costs of prepackaged crafts to cost more than admission for a trip. I see what these things cost and if anything camps pay less cuz they buy in bulk.

What irks me most of all is the unfairness in pricing. Older kids cost almost $200 more than little ones most years, cuz they go on much more trips. This year, price for teens has not gone down at all...why??
Back to top

keym




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 3:03 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Idk, sounds funny to me too. Yes there are extra costs this year but camps are getting grants to help pay for them. But most importantly there are no trips this year! City day camps where I live do a full day trip at least once a week. Not possible for costs of prepackaged crafts to cost more than admission for a trip. I see what these things cost and if anything camps pay less cuz they buy in bulk.

What irks me most of all is the unfairness in pricing. Older kids cost almost $200 more than little ones most years, cuz they go on much more trips. This year, price for teens has not gone down at all...why??


My daughter is working in a camp. The director told them the grant to cover costs was a total of $2000 the whole summer. That's not very much in Purely, soap, cleaning, etc.
Also, they will be bringing in entertainment, instead of trips. Weekly magicians, twins from France, Uncle Moishy, Acrobats cost.
Renting "trips to you". Entrepreneurs are opening "bring the water park, bowling alley, mini golf, bouncy trip, amusement park rides, planetarium to you". That costs. And older grades will get more or better shows and on site trips.
Many of the lower cost options of inter-bunk or inter-camp sports are off the table.
And contact sports are not allowed.
And we can't forget that they lost hundreds of dollars in deposits to the water parks and amusement parks that they may or may not ever get back.

But like I said. Ask them.
I did, and boy was I surprised.
Back to top

amother




Rose
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 3:12 pm
keym wrote:
My daughter is working in a camp. The director told them the grant to cover costs was a total of $2000 the whole summer. That's not very much in Purely, soap, cleaning, etc.
Also, they will be bringing in entertainment, instead of trips. Weekly magicians, twins from France, Uncle Moishy, Acrobats cost.
Renting "trips to you". Entrepreneurs are opening "bring the water park, bowling alley, mini golf, bouncy trip, amusement park rides, planetarium to you". That costs. And older grades will get more or better shows and on site trips.
Many of the lower cost options of inter-bunk or inter-camp sports are off the table.
And contact sports are not allowed.
And we can't forget that they lost hundreds of dollars in deposits to the water parks and amusement parks that they may or may not ever get back.

But like I said. Ask them.
I did, and boy was I surprised.


Thanks, this explains a lot.

But how do you justify charging the same price for three weeks and for 4? (first and second half) Is there a reason for that? Even transportation costs the same.
Back to top

amother




Slateblue
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 3:57 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Thanks, this explains a lot.

But how do you justify charging the same price for three weeks and for 4? (first and second half) Is there a reason for that? Even transportation costs the same.


Because they can.
Back to top

amother




Coffee
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:30 pm
Look, obviously they are doing this for profit. Supply and demand. They have the upper hand, so, yes, they can charge more than is technically needed. If they had very few applicants, they'd lower the prices.
Just like seminaries. I wonder if a long term effect of the pandemic will result in lower seminary fees. Despite what all the "experts" are quoted as saying in the frum media, I think they will be forced to reopen at a greatly reduced capacity and probably fewer students. I strongly doubt they can open as usual in Elul, and if they have a delayed opening many people will likely opt out.
Back to top

amother




Green
 

Post  Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:34 pm
My kids have less hours and price went up a lot. I feel so taken advantage of. But couldn't deny my kids day camp.... They've been home for months....
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Taking off bangs from a sheitel
by amother
13 Fri, Jul 10 2020, 10:47 am View last post
What's your tuition situation this coming year?
by amother
6 Thu, Jul 02 2020, 3:01 am View last post
Are high-risk group Imas taking cabs, Ubers?
by amother
11 Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:21 pm View last post
Biden is taking PRE PLANNED, SCRIPTED questions!
by Cheiny
3 Tue, Jun 30 2020, 1:53 pm View last post
Has the fireworks situation improved where you are?
by Cheiny
1 Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:53 pm View last post

Jump to: