Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How would you organize this?

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:09 am
DH and I were having a discussion.

DD wanted a heating pad. I wasn't available to get it, nor was she, so she asked DH to bring her one, and he asked me where to get one.

I thought of our electric one, and told him to look on a shelf in our linen closet, but mistakenly said the shelf below where it was. On the lower shelf, he found some hot water bottles, and gave her one of those. Later, downstairs, he found some microwaveable ones.

He said he thought all three (electric, microwaveable, water bottle) should be in the same place.

Which maybe is a good idea, but I had a different idea. My reasoning was that the microwaveable pads should be downstairs near the microwave, the hot water bottles were with other medical supplies (ace bandages, etc), and the electric one was in a basket on the shelf above, because it kept falling over or getting tangled, and that's where I had room.

Would you group them all together like he said? If so, upstairs, with medical supplies, or downstairs, near cold packs for the freezer, and microwave?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:17 am
I would probably put them together. What's the most intuitive for the most amount of people who would be accessing them?

naomi2

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:25 am
I would put them together but that is irrelevant. There is no right or wrong place just decide together so you all know where to find them

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 3:57 pm
naomi2 wrote:
I would put them together but that is irrelevant. There is no right or wrong place just decide together so you all know where to find them

This.
Organization is not about what makes sense to an organizer but about what works for you.
But it may help to ask yourself and your household members: if I needed a hot compress, where would I look? (or, If I were a hot compress, where would I be?) and put it there.
To me it makes more sense to put them all together. When you want a hot compress, you want a hot compress. you don't want to have to stop and think "do I want a microwavable one, a water-fillable one or an electric one?" wander all over the house to find the type you want, discover it's unusable for some reason and then have to go wandering elsewhere to find the runner-up.

trixx

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 4:20 pm
Yeah I'd think them all with the first aid or period supplies, depending on the reason you even own them

ddmom

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 5:04 pm
I don't know how I would organize this but I'm pretty Impressed that you knew where all 3 of your items were!
If you're the one looking for it most of the time I would leave it the way it is!!
As long as you're able to tell family members where to find it, what's the problem? Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics