Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job and Career Ideas for my niece

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:53 am
My 21 yr old niece is a sweet young lady who needs a job. She was a B student at not the best school so probably average intelligence. She does not have the best work ethic and often does not complete what she starts. She can also become annoyed or bored with ppl. If she thinks she is being judged though she will work really hard to impress (but may eventually have enough and walk off). Perfect jobs for her would be like a nurse or real estate attorney but I think she'd not follow through educational wise and end up in a worse state.

Anyways I'm looking for career or job choices to push her through until she can be a house wife with a kid or two. I think a flight attendant would be good. What else?

Thanks so much.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:02 am
Did she ask you for advice about career choices?

I mean, she's an adult. You can't "push her through" in any field unless she asks you for help.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:04 am
Lolz.

This is satire, right?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:04 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Did she ask you for advice about career choices?

I mean, she's an adult. You can't "push her through" in any field unless she asks you for help.

Yes. I wouldn't ask if she hadn't asked me.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 21 yr old niece is a sweet young lady who needs a job. She was a B student at not the best school so probably average intelligence. She does not have the best work ethic and often does not complete what she starts. She can also become annoyed or bored with ppl. If she thinks she is being judged though she will work really hard to impress (but may eventually have enough and walk off). Perfect jobs for her would be like a nurse or real estate attorney but I think she'd not follow through educational wise and end up in a worse state.

Anyways I'm looking for career or job choices to push her through until she can be a house wife with a kid or two. I think a flight attendant would be good. What else?

Thanks so much.

This is a joke right? To be a nurse you need to have a strong work ethic and be able to complete what you started. Why a flight attendant? She needs to be on her feet for several hours, and attend to people's wants and needs.

Can she have an office job where she has little interaction with people and maybe does calls? Or medical billing?

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Thanks so much.

1) You list a whole bunch of negative attributes and almost nothing positive

2) Nurse? Real estate attorney? What do the two have to do with each other? Why do you think these would be good choices for her? The way you describe her, please don’t “let” her be a nurse or in any way responsible for peoples lives

3) “Push her through”? What? ....What?

If she just wants to be a housewife let her focus on attaining that goal.

4) Flight attendant? Really? Have you ever met a Frum flight attendant? And again, why do you think this would be good for her?

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:20 am
In addition to all of the above: Becoming a flight attendant is very competitive, requires an excellent work ethic, pays little at the start and the travel industry is in tatters.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Thanks so much.

First, she can get tested to see if she has ADD (inattentive type) since you describe some of the symptoms (struggle in school, not following through, getting bored, etc). The proper medication will help her focus in school if she does want to go for nursing or become a lawyer and it will def help her focus on the job so she can finish what she started.
Second, if she wants to just be a wife and mother then a good job would be working with individuals with special needs as a direct support counselor taking care of the individuals who need assistance (and she will be judged by supervisors so she will have to work hard to impress). If you are in NY then contact Hasc, Hamaspik, Ohel, etc to apply for these jobs.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:38 am
She wouldn't work in an office or with kids with special needs. The former would probably be too boring and the latter too demanding. I really don't think that she has ADD or anything like that and she never struggled in school - she was always awarded most respectful, devoted student, but those of us who know her know that in reality she just won those awards because she will do whatever she can for people to respect her image. In terms of not following through, I don't know if it is because she becomes bored, is overwhelmed, or was just not raised properly by her parents to follow through so it has become a learned behavior. In regard to salary - I don't think it is an issue if she is making very little. This is mostly because she needs to be occupied with some kind of a positive goal, but I don't see her working or supporting herself and a family long term.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She wouldn't work in an office or with kids with special needs. The former would probably be too boring and the latter too demanding. I really don't think that she has ADD or anything like that and she never struggled in school - she was always awarded most respectful, devoted student, but those of us who know her know that in reality she just won those awards because she will do whatever she can for people to respect her image. In terms of not following through, I don't know if it is because she becomes bored, is overwhelmed, or was just not raised properly by her parents to follow through so it has become a learned behavior.

Oh, gosh.

This keeps getting worse and worse.

Aunty, you really need to stay out of it. Refer her to a career center that can do some aptitude tests and help her figure out a good path for her. I don't see how she can possibly make any progress or grow up when surrounded by judgmental family members.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:44 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Oh, gosh.

This keeps getting worse and worse.

Aunty, you really need to stay out of it. Refer her to a career center that can do some aptitude tests and help her figure out a good path for her.

How is this worse and worse? I can say that many parents parent like that today lol. Why do you think there is an entire generation of kids still living at home in the secular world and trying to figure out what to do with their lives? I see it with frum ppl as well. I guess though in the frum community people just know they will marry and have kids so that is some sort of direction. I guess I can refer her to a career counselor.

Learning

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:50 am
Btw did you ask her or did she say what does SHE want to do career wise?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:50 am
Maybe work at a retail store if she wants an entry level job with no education, no long term growth, and doesn't want an office job. She is going to have to learn people skills and not answer back to customers. And she's gonna need a work ethic as there is a lot that goes on with restocking, reorganizing, etc. But she may take pride in being involved in let's say a clothing store and having everything look just right.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:53 am
OP, I'm sure you mean well, but this discussion is all about what she's not good at, not about her potential. A career counselor will be able to help your niece identify her strengths and find suitable options. If your niece went to college, there should be career services available even after graduation. Another good resource is community college. My local college offers career guidance prior to enrollment so students can choose the most appropriate course of study. As for aspiring to be a homemaker... everyone should have marketable skills. For a lot of reasons. Has she mentioned what sort of work/activity she enjoys, or is interested in?

monseymom25

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:55 am
Tell us some of her strengths and some positive things about her. Then we may be able to suggest appropriate ideas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics