Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I miss breastfeeding (for weight loss)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 6:53 pm
I know not everyone agrees that breastfeeding is great for weight loss but it seriously worked for me.I’ve been not nursing for the last 2.5 years and I gained a little over 20lbs!! It is so difficult now that I’m in my mid 30s, not running and taking care of babies anymore, or nursing. Yes, I love it that now I can sleep a whole night, not change diapers and be more “free” but I was skinnier when my kids were babies and when I was busy with them at home. Now I watch even more what I eat. I gained a few pounds during quarantine and it’s horrible.., I didn’t overeat. Every day I went out for long walks and of course that didn’t help.

Yesterday I decided to weigh myself after not doing it for a year! I can’t believe I gained over 20 pounds and now I’m considered “overweight “ according to BMI.... never had that before. I was at this weight when I was pregnant. I want to get pregnant one last time but first I want to lose some weight and it’s so much more difficult now! Should I just stick to drinking water and eating vegetables?? I’m trying to completely cut on sugary things but then Shabbat comes and it’s hard with all the good my husband wants me to make. I’m not really into doing exercise. I used to do some at home but now everyone is still home so I go for walks.

By the way, my husband says he likes me like this but I know I need to lose at least 10 pounds for now... to be healthier.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 7:30 pm
And I will only gain while breastfeeding Sad
My scale is in such a hurry... Can't Believe It

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 7:41 pm
Same story here. I gained 10 pounds for each year since I stopped nursing. Its been 3 year so do your math. I am blaming it on my birth control because I really dont overeat.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:14 pm
Hugs.
I wasn't in your situation but I was older when it's even harder to lose weight. I lost 20 lbs watching what I ate. Not torturing myself but eliminating the white junk - starches and sugars (yeah, brown too). I need to lose more than 20. But I've kept it off for a few years and that's good. I exercise too - long walks, exercise bike.

silverlining3

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:47 pm
I'm still waiting for the baby that will cause the losing weight while breastfeeding magic.

rae

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:49 pm
Me too. My weight melted off while breast feeding.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:51 pm
Hugs. I just went on the scale too and.....
1) the BMI scale is so overboard. Don't follow that. I'm morbidly obese according to it 🙄 and Noone would say that irl
2) what changes can you make to have a healthier overall lifestyle? (instead of "diet")

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:51 pm
I hate to say it but exercise is really the best way to lose weight, in combination with a reasonable food plan. Exercise increases your metabolism and helps you burn calories faster. Dieting to reduce calories is going to take a whole lot longer. Plus, exercise is excellent for your overall health.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:54 pm
My guess is this has much more to do with your age and life circumstances right now than actually nursing. I never nursed any of my kids and with the first two in my 20s I lost almost all the weight within 3 months of giving birth. With my 3ed and 4th, already in my 30s I had such a hard time losing weight. Now in my mid 30s I'm being so so careful with what I'm eating for the past few months and I'm just starting to lose some weight- but it is slow going

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 7:28 am
As we age our metabolism slows.
Definitely do not just drink water and eat vegetables.
Work on healthier choices. You can write down what you eat just to get a reality check of what's really going on.
Try not to pressure yourself, strict diets tend to backfire.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 7:31 am
Yes, it’s probably harder for me to lose weight in my 30s than 20s. I know exercise will help but weight gain is mostly due to the food I eat. The hardest for me is breakfast. I wake up and tend to want to drink coffee and eat two rice crackers with peanut butter. I love peanut butter and nuts, I know it’s fattening but that’s what keeps me energized and full in the morning. Any ideas what I should eat for breakfast?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 7:56 am
Married so slim I didn't even have a number on the bmi chart. Bh 7 pregnancies and I'm over 50 pounds more.. the WIC office told me I'm overweight I asked her if she can help me get approved for a gastric sleeve and she's like ur too skinny for that. So I told her then don't talk about my weight...

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, it’s probably harder for me to lose weight in my 30s than 20s. I know exercise will help but weight gain is mostly due to the food I eat. The hardest for me is breakfast. I wake up and tend to want to drink coffee and eat two rice crackers with peanut butter. I love peanut butter and nuts, I know it’s fattening but that’s what keeps me energized and full in the morning. Any ideas what I should eat for breakfast?

If you're going to focus on making good nutritious choices, that's a fine breakfast. But how filling is it? What do you do when you need a mid morning fix?
I don't count calories, I just focus on staying away from stuff I'll regret.

ETA: I hope the peanut butter's natural. Kroger, a midwest chain, makes pb that's just peanuts and salt, nothing else. Costs just a little more than regular.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Your not having an issue losing weight because of your peanut butter.
Rice cakes are empty food type. Not much in nutritional value and wont keep you full for very long.
Write down what you eat for a week. You'll find your challenges.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:27 am
I missed eating whatever I wanted and not gaining weight during breastfeeding but much happier now not eating like a maniac and having peace in my head and body.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise