Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
In town and OOT kollel-purpose?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 5:38 pm
What does it mean to be in kollel? Or to be a kollel couple? What is the purpose of kollel out of town?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 5:43 pm
Kollel is like yeshiva, mostly for men to spend their day learning after they're married. They usually have some basic rules which you have to agree to when you sign up.
A lot of them offer small stipends. To be part of a kollel couple often means you agree to forgo certain luxuries (another income, financial stability/luxuries) in order for the spouse to be able to continue Torah learning.

Some communities out of town want to build the amount of families who value Torah learning and lead Torah lifestyles, and will therefore offer greater stipends than in town kollels that have more applicants.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 5:54 pm
Or they may have more responsibilities, interacting with members of the community, giving speeches, etc
So it's more like a salary than a stipend in those cases.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 5:54 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Kollel is like yeshiva, mostly for men to spend their day learning after they're married. They usually have some basic rules which you have to agree to when you sign up.
A lot of them offer small stipends. To be part of a kollel couple often means you agree to forgo certain luxuries (another income, financial stability/luxuries) in order for the spouse to be able to continue Torah learning.

Some communities out of town want to build the amount of families who value Torah learning and lead Torah lifestyles, and will therefore offer greater stipends than in town kollels that have more applicants.

Beautiful well explained post.

I'll just add that couples choose to stay in Kollel because they believe in the immense spiritual reward of intense Torah learning.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 5:56 pm
There is also night kollel for men who work during the day. Yes, they are sacrificing a relaxing night after a long day of work and precious time spent with their families to learn.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:54 pm
DH is in an OOT kollel. Two thirds of the day he learns with other men in the kollel (who are on an equal or higher learning level), and the rest is learning with different men from the community...a broad range from business men to single men etc
The men in this kollel give shiurim/chaburos, daven for the amud if they can, etc. I’m expected to socialize with women at the kiddush on shabbos (obviously not now during corona), we’re expected to have guests over...
This is being part of an OOT kollel everywhere I would think...

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 12:47 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
DH is in an OOT kollel. Two thirds of the day he learns with other men in the kollel (who are on an equal or higher learning level), and the rest is learning with different men from the community...a broad range from business men to single men etc
The men in this kollel give shiurim/chaburos, daven for the amud if they can, etc. I’m expected to socialize with women at the kiddush on shabbos (obviously not now during corona), we’re expected to have guests over...
This is being part of an OOT kollel everywhere I would think...

I never knew there were duties for the wife as well! Was that in the agreement or is that just a known part of it?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 7:11 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I never knew there were duties for the wife as well! Was that in the agreement or is that just a known part of it?

It was part of the agreement. They want us as a couple/family to be part of the kollel and shul/community. Come to shabbatonim, etc. Great salary, we knew it was part of it and we’re happy to do it as we wanted to be part of some sort of ‘kiruv kollel’ (this isn’t really outreach but to some extent it is)

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 7:20 am
My husband is in a kollel in nyc that is part of his Yeshiva.We get 6-10k a year depending on funding There's a system to get into it but its usually the natrual progression for a married guy. It has nothing to do with the community we live in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics