Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Manifestation?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 11:10 pm
I’ve been reading up on manifestation lately. You believe that you’re going to get something you want or need, and after you believe wholeheartedly for some time it comes to you.

I’m wondering how to view this from a torahdig perspective?

I remember reading something similar in one of the frum weeklies. It was a while ago. Someone believed that hashem would give her an extension that she couldn’t afford, and she got it a few months later in some crazy way.

But it doesn’t seem to match up with what I’ve been taught about tefillah, bitachon and that hashem sometimes says no.

I’m tempted to try it but I’m worried that it’s inappropriate. But the weekly didn’t get any bad feedback from the story.

Thoughts?

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 11:25 pm
Can you give a few examples of what you're referring to? Do you mean if I imagine hard and long enough that I'll find a million dollars, then I'll find a million dollars?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 11:35 pm
This is a basic lubavitch idea.
Tracht gut vezain gut.

“Think good and it will be good.”

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 11:52 pm
There is a book called the Secret to Miraculous Salvations. A life-transforming method of attaining Simcha and Bitachon which generates incredible yeshous. It says it is based on the Zohar, Ohr Ha Chaim, Sefire Ramchal Nefesh Ha Chaim and other reform.

It mentions the concept of manifestations.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 11:55 pm
Same with the "It's All In Your Mind" book and sequel by Sara Yosef.

There is some kind of zohar about positive thinking attracting positive forces, but it's all too deep for me. I think that assuming it's all gonna be okay is a much healthier frame of mind than worrying and having anxiety about things you can't control. (Shidduchim, health, etc).

Mothers

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 12:00 am
Just a quick search on a Google reveals that this “manifestation” is part of “The Law of Attraction,” which is is the belief that positive or negative thoughts bring positive or negative experiences into a person's life.

From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....tion_(New_Thought)

“ The Law of Attraction has no scientific basis and has been dubbed a pseudoscience. A number of researchers have criticized the misuse of scientific concepts by its proponents.” and “ There is zero empirical scientific evidence supporting the law of attraction, and it is widely considered a pseudoscience.” In addition, this philosophy appears to be heavily influenced by The Transcendentalist movement, Christianity, and Hinduism.

I would do a lot more research before getting involved with this philosophy, as it does not appear to be either effective or appropriate for a frum Jew . . .

cbsp

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 12:05 am
Rabbi Viener talks about this yesod in discussing the Dor Haflaga:

http://www.torahstream.org/shiurim/On_Chumash

It's the second part of shiur 33 and continues in shiur 34 (I have those shiurim on page 7, yours may vary).

The shiur is based on a Rav Dessler

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 1:41 am
I always believe in going by foot...

If you really want something, you can put the energy in to obtain it, so you obtain it.

Or it can be that it falls into your lap, then you will be specially happy, because you wanted it so badly...

You can express your wish in tefila, that is one of the things tefila is for...

However, it woulld be slightly infantile to base your relation to hashem on how many times he fullfills your wishes...

I don't understand why you need a new name for this process...

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 6:57 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Tracht gut vezain gut.

Vet zain

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:13 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
There is a book called the Secret to Miraculous Salvations. A life-transforming method of attaining Simcha and Bitachon which generates incredible yeshous. It says it is based on the Zohar, Ohr Ha Chaim, Sefire Ramchal Nefesh Ha Chaim and other reform.

It mentions the concept of manifestations.
Thank you! I will hunt it down.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:17 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Same with the "It's All In Your Mind" book and sequel by Sara Yosef.

There is some kind of zohar about positive thinking attracting positive forces, but it's all too deep for me. I think that assuming it's all gonna be okay is a much healthier frame of mind than worrying and having anxiety about things you can't control. (Shidduchim, health, etc).
Thanks! I’m going to look for that one too.

Honestly I’m by nature very deep. I’m the kind of person who knows when someone passes away before anyone else does. I can sense it. I can also sense when something overwhelming is about to happen.

I’ve struggled with anxiety a lot in the past because I didn’t understand where those feelings were coming from. I’m understanding now that they’re real for me but others don’t have them and don’t believe they exist at all.

If anyone has more resources on this sort of thing please share.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:19 am
Tracht gut vezain gut.

Thank you, I heard that before and I don’t think it’s only lubavitch. I didn’t understand the meaning though and thought it was just a way of lowering anxiety. It makes more sense now.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:19 am
Tracht gut vezain gut.

This is also the idea that bitachon can create your reality, as spoke about in Chovos HaLevavos and by the Rebbe multiple times.
The more you believe that something will be good, the bigger the possibility that it will be.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:21 am
cbsp wrote:
Rabbi Viener talks about this yesod in discussing the Dor Haflaga:

http://www.torahstream.org/shiurim/On_Chumash

It's the second part of shiur 33 and continues in shiur 34 (I have those shiurim on page 7, yours may vary).

The shiur is based on a Rav Dessler
Very cool. I guess it’s more mainstream than I thought. I don’t think I’ve seen Torah stream before but hopefully it’s easy to figure out.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:22 am
Tracht gut vezain gut.

Deleted

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:22 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
This is also the idea that bitachon can create your reality, as spoke about in Chovos HaLevavos and by the Rebbe multiple times.
The more you believe that something will be good, the bigger the possibility that it will be.

Deleted

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:25 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
This is a lovely idea but I view it as delusional. Reality bites.

You might want to rephrase that. I'm not going to stand by and watch the Lubavitcher Rebbe being called delusional.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:25 am
Mothers wrote:
Just a quick search on a Google reveals that this “manifestation” is part of “The Law of Attraction,” which is is the belief that positive or negative thoughts bring positive or negative experiences into a person's life.

From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....tion_(New_Thought)

“ The Law of Attraction has no scientific basis and has been dubbed a pseudoscience. A number of researchers have criticized the misuse of scientific concepts by its proponents.” and “ There is zero empirical scientific evidence supporting the law of attraction, and it is widely considered a pseudoscience.” In addition, this philosophy appears to be heavily influenced by The Transcendentalist movement, Christianity, and Hinduism.

I would do a lot more research before getting involved with this philosophy, as it does not appear to be either effective or appropriate for a frum Jew . . .
I would imagine they consider many yiddishe concepts to be pseudoscience as well. Othe religions have a lot in common with ours and often they have our concepts that we ourselves forgot in galus.

Like meditation for example. I only ever heard of meditation in the context of Buddhism. I wanted to try it so I did some research and found r aryeh Kaplan’s book. It was eye opening. All these concepts that we’ve lost. It’s like an entire dimension of life that we had last century and now we just don’t know about.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:29 am
People I’m not looking for arguments. You don’t like it don’t scroll the thread. I wanted to know if this is acceptable in yiddishkeit or if it’s apikorsus. Since the only arguments against it are from those who think it’s illogical I think I’m in the clear.

As I said earlier many people think yiddishkeit itself is illogical. We don’t live our lives based on logic.

As for the rebbe, I belong to a family of misnagdim. One thing everyone agrees with is that the rebbe was a genius. So calling the rebbe names is just you saying that you don’t understand.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:31 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
You might want to rephrase that. I'm not going to stand by and watch the Lubavitcher Rebbe being called delusional.

I have deleted the comment.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics