Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Black Lives Matter article in Baltimore Jewish Life
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

sequoia

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:50 am
I get the impression that Black America is not America. It’s sociologically Russia.

Women — competent, educated, hardworking, yet somehow unable to find men on their level. Infinitely hopeful. Frequently end up as single mothers

Men — un- or underemployed, abusive, entitled drunks.

Grandmothers — stepping in to fill in the parenting gap. The typical Soviet/Russian family is mom + grandma and kid(s).

Why don’t Black women date men of other races?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:58 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
Oy vey. It'll never get better. It's everyone else's fault.

When Blacks left the rural south and tried to find work in the cities, the jobs went to white people. The Black men were depressed and turned to alcohol and crime and many left their wives. The Democrat government responded with help for single mothers.
What would have happened if these men would have had an equal chance at employment?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:05 am
sequoia wrote:
I get the impression that Black America is not America. It’s sociologically Russia.

Women — competent, educated, hardworking, yet somehow unable to find men on their level. Infinitely hopeful. Frequently end up as single mothers

Grandmothers — stepping in to fill in the parenting gap. The typical Soviet/Russian family is mom + grandma and kid(s).

I think that many Blacks run in their own circles and colleges have tried to get students to mingle but they generally don't.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:14 am
[Political post removed - wrong forum - mod]

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:14 am
ora_43 wrote:
In the official statistics, the man who stole a cop's taser will be in the "armed" category.

Who is the "they" who is calling for cops to be hanged?

You really don’t know the answer to that question?

shoshanim999

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:15 am
southernbubby wrote:
When Blacks left the rural south and tried to find work in the cities, the jobs went to white people. The Black men were depressed and turned to alcohol and crime and many left their wives. The Democrat government responded with help for single mothers.
What would have happened if these men would have had an equal chance at employment?

It's been many decades since these events. At what point does the community and it's leaders say it's time to move forward and make things better?

If in 100 years blacks are still the leaders in illiteracy, unemployment, and crime, can they still talk about racism from 150 years previous?

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:16 am
sequoia wrote:

This is incredibly insightful.

What caused the dynamic in Russia? Is it true throughout the FSU?

sequoia

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:27 am
southernbubby wrote:
I think that many Blacks run in their own circles and colleges have tried to get students to mingle but they generally don't.

I have two Black female friends from school. Both went to Harvard and Harvard Law. One is married to a white man, and one is married to an Asian man.

Clearly it happens, and the higher up you go, the more likely it is.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:46 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
It's been many decades since these events. At what point does the community and it's leaders say it's time to move forward and make things better?

If in 100 years blacks are still the leaders in illiteracy, unemployment, and crime, can they still talk about racism from 150 years previous?

We know that shmaltz, kugel, and other Jewish foods contribute to heart disease and type 2 diabetes but we don't depart from our traditional foods or anything else that wrecks us physically or financially.
Blacks have their unfortunate traditions as well. After 3 generations, this is their culture. We have a hard time preventing our culture from harming us and they do too.
Everyone blames their culture on the past because that's what it is but their public schools need to be able to help them bridge the culture gap but it isn't happening.

shoshanim999

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:57 am
southernbubby wrote:
We know that shmaltz, kugel, and other Jewish foods contribute to heart disease and type 2 diabetes but we don't depart from our traditional foods or anything else that wrecks us physically or financially.
Blacks have their unfortunate traditions as well. After 3 generations, this is their culture. We have a hard time preventing our culture from harming us and they do too.
Everyone blames their culture on the past because that's what it is but their public schools need to be able to help them bridge the culture gap but it isn't happening.

The difference is that our culture of shnaps, kugel and kishke is not holding us back as a group. The black culture of dropouts, fatherless babies, and crime is a systemic problem. One culture needs to change and the other doesn't. Not all problems are equal.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:23 am
southernbubby wrote:

I just want to put in my two cents on the public schools issue. I work in a public school district that has a majority of black students and a small minority of white and other ethnicities. The people that live in the district range from the very poor/low class/inner city type to middle class. The district gets tremendous funding for their schools, more than other districts with higher income averages. The teachers are fabulous, put in so much for their students. The schools provide support and money for homelessness, food, clothing, transportation. Above and beyond any sort of expectations I would have from a mostly "inner city" or "bad" type of district. Does that solve black community problems? Are these kids becoming successful because of all this support? Not really. They still struggle the same way as most inner city black communities do.

I cannot speak for all districts but I do know what happens in mine. Fixing public schools and offering more funding is not the answer. Having a fancy chromebook for each student doesn't help if the students are coming from traumatic backgrounds (relatives killed before their eyes), fathers are absent or in jail, mothers struggle to balance working and taking care of the kids, they are brought up with an attitude (which is also heavily socially enforced) that caring about school and education is acting "so white" and they see so many examples of adults living off of government assistance or turning to criminal ways of making money. I think that the only way to turn it around is to allow the communities to figure it out themselves. You and I cannot force people to change. It never works.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:23 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
The difference is that our culture of shnaps, kugel and kishke is not holding us back as a group. The black culture of dropouts, fatherless babies, and crime is a systemic problem. One culture needs to change and the other doesn't. Not all problems are equal.

I think the point being made is 'change is hard'.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:28 am
PinkFridge wrote:
The idea behind everyone being involved in reparations, even if our ancestors weren't in the country then, is white privilege. When our ancestors did come, by virtue of being white (sorry, Imamothers of color, just saying, yes, Jews are seen as white) we slid into the whole white virtue advantaged community. So we're complicit too.

You could probably check this out: Two weeks ago, NPR's On Point program featured Michael Eric Dyson one day, and the next a politician who spoke about reparations. (And that program IIR also featured the Rosewood story. Chilling.)

Chinese and other Asians faced discrimination, are Non-White, didn't speak English, and they are from the MOST SUCCESSFUL racial group in America.

Fact: Anyone OF ANY RACE who does these four things will be successful (not poor) in USA:

1. Don't commit Crime.
2. Get HS Diploma
3. Work Full Time
4. Don't have children out of wedlock.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:57 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I just want to put in my two cents on the public schools issue. I work in a public school district that has a majority of black students and a small minority of white and other ethnicities. The people that live in the district range from the very poor/low class/inner city type to middle class. The district gets tremendous funding for their schools, more than other districts with higher income averages. The teachers are fabulous, put in so much for their students. The schools provide support and money for homelessness, food, clothing, transportation. Above and beyond any sort of expectations I would have from a mostly "inner city" or "bad" type of district. Does that solve black community problems? Are these kids becoming successful because of all this support? Not really. They still struggle the same way as most inner city black communities do.

I cannot speak for all districts but I do know what happens in mine. Fixing public schools and offering more funding is not the answer. Having a fancy chromebook for each student doesn't help if the students are coming from traumatic backgrounds (relatives killed before their eyes), fathers are absent or in jail, mothers struggle to balance working and taking care of the kids, they are brought up with an attitude (which is also heavily socially enforced) that caring about school and education is acting "so white" and they see so many examples of adults living off of government assistance or turning to criminal ways of making money. I think that the only way to turn it around is to allow the communities to figure it out themselves. You and I cannot force people to change. It never works.

But what would happen if half of each class was middle class students from stable families who valued education?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:03 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Chinese and other Asians faced discrimination, are Non-White, didn't speak English, and they are from the MOST SUCCESSFUL racial group in America.

Fact: Anyone OF ANY RACE who does these four things will be successful (not poor) in USA:

1. Don't commit Crime.
2. Get HS Diploma
3. Work Full Time
4. Don't have children out of wedlock.

Asian families stick together. Blacks have a more complicated ancestry.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:03 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I think the point being made is 'change is hard'.

You said it better than I could.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:07 pm
southernbubby wrote:
But what would happen if half of each class was middle class students from stable families who valued education?

I am not sure how this would practically play out. My district is an open enrollment district (so they accept everyone from any district) and also a district with many private schools. The inner city students choose to come to our district and the middle class students choose to go to private schools for religious or other reasons. We can't force middle class students to stay in public schools.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:18 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I am not sure how this would practically play out. My district is an open enrollment district (so they accept everyone from any district) and also a district with many private schools. The inner city students choose to come to our district and the middle class students choose to go to private schools for religious or other reasons. We can't force middle class students to stay in public schools.

I lived for 28 years in Detroit and I knew numerous frum public school teachers. Their biggest challenge was the fact that kids were badly neglected at home and most parents were not involved with the schools. One teacher had a drive every year to provide winter outerwear and socks. It was impossible, however for the teachers to change a culture that had little dilution from other students.

leah233

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:33 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

My mother and many family members of mine were public school teachers.

They say that one of the most destructive things done to the black community was the efforts made by liberals in the late 60s and on to purge the public school system from male and particularly white male teachers.

Some of these Jewish teachers who were replaced in the late 60s to have affirmative action educators instead,
really cared with their hearts and souls to see the black kids do better in life. Many of them grew up in the same inner city to immigrant parents who spoke no English and could have been such wonderful role models.

Instead they and the black children (particularly boys) were sacrificed for affirmative action.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 4:58 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I lived for 28 years in Detroit and I knew numerous frum public school teachers. Their biggest challenge was the fact that kids were badly neglected at home and most parents were not involved with the schools. One teacher had a drive every year to provide winter outerwear and socks. It was impossible, however for the teachers to change a culture that had little dilution from other students.

I completely agree that horrible neglect makes teaching very very challenging. However, I do not think that people/the law can somehow force people into equally (or just somewhat more equal)mixed upper, middle and lower class school environments. There will always be better and worse schools and poor and well off communities.

As a side note I just want to say that the city I live and work in used to be mostly white and the school district was quite strong and successful. Over time, the black community grew and the school district suffered. I am sure at some point there were somewhat more equal amounts of black and white students. Did that help or change anything? No....

That's why I feel pretty strongly that we can support the "disadvantaged" (ugh I hate that term) as kind hearted people but that is not going to change who people are. Everyone needs realize that they have agency in their own lives. Yes, it may be harder for some to make changes but I cannot force anyone to change their attitudes, values or mindset. And I don't believe anyone else can do so either.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics