Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Are you going back to in - person EI Speech therapy/ Ot/Pt
1  2  Next

Eisheschayil123

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 7:46 am
As of today we are allowed to do in person sessions with our clients. Are you going back? Do you think parents are going to cooperate and allow you to take temps, sd,not bring in toys etc.? Do you wear a mask or a shield? Just want to get a sense of whether this is going to work.

happyone

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 7:47 am
I would think the client would want you to wear a mask and monitor your temp as you would be going from house to house.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 7:57 am
And additionally, preferably if you can get those hospital protective gowns (because that would be the most practical) kids often end up touching therapists, and possibly drooling or sharing snot...
I would of course check with the dr too, but I wouldn’t see an issue with ppe on. Doctors are also seeing multiple patients a day.

I would also check in with each family in the morning to see if anyone in the family had fever, symptoms etc.
I think I would trust the therapist to take her own temp.

Eisheschayil123

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:04 am
Yes, but we are required to take temps of household members and record them. They must wear masks (except child)

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:07 am
Where is this allowed?

Eisheschayil123

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:11 am
Monsey

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:15 am
Interesting. I don’t think it’s allowed yet in NYC.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:15 am
Also in Ohio. Therapists returned to work 2 months ago.
They started off taking our temperature each time, it lasted about 2-3 weeks 🤣. They still wear masks and gowns.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:25 am
Yes I am going back tomorrow

Eisheschayil123

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:32 am
Who pays / orders the gowns? I looked it up on Amazon and it’s way too expensive!

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 8:44 am
As a client- I would love in person with whatever precautions there are. There is no comparison so I would hope my sons therapists would agree to come. At this age, 3 months is so much time to be missing out which is what happened.

Eisheschayil123

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 9:05 am
I hope this is the sentiment by most people! If parents are cooperative ,even if it’s just because they are desperate that’s good enough for me. I just don’t want them to pressure me into bringing in toys, not wearing masks etc. as I still need to be careful! I didn’t get the virus or antibodies and I don’t want to start now!

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 10:27 am
In NJ we are not allowed back in yet. As a parent, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a therapist bringing in toys, especially with babies who mouth everything.
If the guidelines are social distancing, how do you do therapy staying 6 ft away from a child who is trying to come to you? Or a child who is running away but you can't chase? And how do you do speech therapy with a mask? Just some of the things that cross my mind about transitioning form teletherapy to in home sessions

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:59 am
Im an EI SLP and the plan is to go back 7/7. I really don't want to though because Im expecting and a little nervous. Also how can I wear a mask and gloves the whole time with these babies and parents/caregivers have to SD with us? Although the children dont have to SD with us or wear masks, we just have to properly SD with parents

But if I stay doing teletherapy the rate gets reduced and its already low enough as it is....

Any other SLPs here?

Im located in NY btw

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 12:01 pm
Eisheschayil123 wrote:
Who pays / orders the gowns? I looked it up on Amazon and it’s way too expensive!

I imagine the state but I don’t know.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 12:03 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I imagine the state but I don’t know.

totally not. my agency is making us pay for all this equipment

Eisheschayil123

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 12:13 pm
I don’t think my agency will pay either! Will you bring materials? Are you doing only face shields so kids can see your mouth? Btw didn’t hear that teletherapy would be @ a lower rate! Is that in nyc?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 12:21 pm
Eisheschayil123 wrote:
I don’t think my agency will pay either! Will you bring materials? Are you doing only face shields so kids can see your mouth? Btw didn’t hear that teletherapy would be @ a lower rate! Is that in nyc?

All of my clients are low SES. Half the time the mothers are non existent in therapy sessions I cant imagine they'll be receptive to buying some requested toys. Im very nervous to go into peoples houses now because no idea the risk it has on fetus....

I would have to get one of those clear face shields. Those 3 layer masks are pointless for therapy

YES!!! Im so upset. They don't know what the rate will be now... I dont know if its worth it for me to just stay home and pick up more cases to make up for the loss in revenue

Eisheschayil123

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 12:39 pm
I would ask your Dr. about increased risk to pregnant moms. I heard one study that it is an increased risk for pregnant moms. My daughter gave birth ( not in the us) and I was very worried the whole time as she had gestational diabetes making her high risk. I am going back to just a couple cases for now to test it and see how it works out. Hope it will work out for you!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 12:52 pm
Eisheschayil123 wrote:
I would ask your Dr. about increased risk to pregnant moms. I heard one study that it is an increased risk for pregnant moms. My daughter gave birth ( not in the us) and I was very worried the whole time as she had gestational diabetes making her high risk. I am going back to just a couple cases for now to test it and see how it works out. Hope it will work out for you!

Spoke to my OB today and she din't really answer the question. She told me doctors and nurses who are pregnant are working now and she could write me a note stating its best for me to work from home but I cant get disability...
Idk what she was really saying lol

Ah best of luck going back! What type of mask will you wear?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics