Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Getting Toddler to Cooperate With Sensory Diet
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:05 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
you have to go cold turkey otherwise kid will keep craving the real stuff and not want to try the alternatives

Yeah, that makes sense.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:06 pm
Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:19 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Good luck!

Pale
Thanks. I think I'll try to find a bunch of replacements and see how it goes...
Ugh.... If it helps it'll be worth it though.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Pale
Thanks. I think I'll try to find a bunch of replacements and see how it goes...
Ugh.... If it helps it'll be worth it though.
good luck! If you want to know more about diet and neurology you can read the gaps book. And watch the magic pill like Andrea levy suggested.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:25 pm
Also, give it a good 3 months to see if you really see a difference

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:25 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
good luck! If you want to know more about diet and neurology you can read the gaps book. And watch the magic pill like Andrea levy suggested.

Oh - I didn't know what that meant - I thought I was meant to look out for something food-related. embarrassed Thanks for clarifying, I will check it out.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:26 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Watch the magic pill. The right foods can totally help with this.

Thanks, will check it out.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh - I didn't know what that meant - I thought I was meant to look out for something food-related. embarrassed Thanks for clarifying, I will check it out.
its a documentary about the benefits of the ketogenic diet. One part has a family of a severely autistic child going keto, the kid previously lives on cheetohs, mac n cheese and goldfish crackers. For 3 days after they remove those foods the kid literally starved herself but after that her palate magically expands and she’s eating all kinds of healthy Whole Foods. Slowly she loses a lot of her autistic symptoms. Very compelling.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How did you know what to try? It would be a MAJOR challenge to take her off those things.

Watch the magic pill. If she gets hungry, she will eat. You’ll be stunned.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:44 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
its a documentary about the benefits of the ketogenic diet. One part has a family of a severely autistic child going keto, the kid previously lives on cheetohs, mac n cheese and goldfish crackers. For 3 days after they remove those foods the kid literally starved herself but after that her palate magically expands and she’s eating all kinds of healthy Whole Foods. Slowly she loses a lot of her autistic symptoms. Very compelling.

And the 12 year old boy also... but the girl was like a wild animal before....it was incredible!

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:44 pm
andrea levy wrote:
And the 12 year old boy also... but the girl was like a wild animal before....it was incredible!
why don’t I remember the boy?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:45 pm
Also totally off topic but a frum woman who had breast cancer. Very interesting lady. What she does and what I do are not the same but it’s pretty clear to me from that doc that I and my family are not the only ones affected by what we eat.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:47 pm
andrea levy wrote:

Wow. I see it’s on Netflix, I don’t have that. Is there any other way to view it?

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 7:42 am
andrea levy wrote:
Also totally off topic but a frum woman who had breast cancer. Very interesting lady. What she does and what I do are not the same but it’s pretty clear to me from that doc that I and my family are not the only ones affected by what we eat.

Watch this. It’s fascinating https://youtu.be/S395qX6G6HM

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 9:11 am
Wheat and dairy are the WORST!

Once I got my kiddo used to eating things like baked salmon and steamed broccoli, I could see a huge improvement on a global level.

I'm the same way. If I have a grilled cheese sandwich (yum!) I feel bloated and terrible for the next two to three days. Sad

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:00 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Wheat and dairy are the WORST!

Once I got my kiddo used to eating things like baked salmon and steamed broccoli, I could see a huge improvement on a global level.

I'm the same way. If I have a grilled cheese sandwich (yum!) I feel bloated and terrible for the next two to three days. Sad

Oh, I have no doubt we’d all be better off eating that way. Unfortunately it’s going to be a very uphill climb. I do use whole wheat and serve lots of veggies but gluten- and dairy free is a whole other level. And there are bigger kids at home so I can’t just shift everyone over. But obviously if it’s worthwhile- and it sounds like it is- I will have to find a way. I really appreciate everyone’s input.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:01 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Watch this. It’s fascinating https://youtu.be/S395qX6G6HM

Thanks, I will take a look.

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks, I will take a look.

I posted this in reference to Andreas post because it references diet- specifically keto & cancer.
But in regards to changing a toddler’s diet, we just did. The key is not to have the stuff in the house. My toddler is on a modified keto diet, it’s not easy peasy but much much better & easier then expected. Was harder during “quarantine” when all the kids were home & challenging once the ice pop season started- but we figured out what works & things are much smoother now bh.
A word of caution in regards to gluten free- gf doesn’t mean healthy. It just means no gluten & often other very processed junk instead. Also, I recommend you work with a nutritionist to make sure his/her diet remains balanced.

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:52 pm
Another thing- in regards to sensory diet. You mentioned you have older kids. Get them to do it with toddler. Because then it’s a game, fun & not threatening.

Even a 4-5 yr old can help you with it. We got a body sock for one of the kids who needed more input & another activity to ‘let off steam’ when we were stuck home in a tiny apt for months & it became a full family activity playing games in it, crawling in the tunnel...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 1:43 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
I posted this in reference to Andreas post because it references diet- specifically keto & cancer.
But in regards to changing a toddler’s diet, we just did. The key is not to have the stuff in the house. My toddler is on a modified keto diet, it’s not easy peasy but much much better & easier then expected. Was harder during “quarantine” when all the kids were home & challenging once the ice pop season started- but we figured out what works & things are much smoother now bh.
A word of caution in regards to gluten free- gf doesn’t mean healthy. It just means no gluten & often other very processed junk instead. Also, I recommend you work with a nutritionist to make sure his/her diet remains balanced.

There’s no way I can not have regular pasta and bread around, some of the other kids are much bigger and will not just switch diets unfortunately. But we’ll have to store things in a way that the little one won’t realize there are other options.
I’ve actually tried gluten free before for a child with allergies and you’re right, there’s a lot of junk! I will definitely need a tutorial of some sort...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)