Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Can you see pictures in your mind? A poll...
1  2  Next

Can you visualize an apple?
Totally! With it's color and everything! It's so real.  
 63%  [ 83 ]
Basically. I can see it more or less.  
 23%  [ 31 ]
Nope, nothing at all.  
 12%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 131

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:03 am
Close your eyes. Block everything out. Picture an apple in your mind. Can you see it?

I just realized today that I can't.

It's called aphantasia. I can picture ideas, like an idea of an apple. I didn't realize people can actually SEE an apple. I thought like people can see - like as in theoretically, like a phrase like "see what I mean" but you can't see what someone means since they are talking about something not physical.

Anyone else experience this?

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:06 am
You mean see it as in theoretically literally being in front of you or imagining it?
I can only imagine it. So interesting.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:11 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
You mean see it as in theoretically literally being in front of you or imagining it?
I can only imagine it. So interesting.

Not sure - I know I can't see it in my mind, hold a photo of an apple in there. I know theoretically how an apple looks...

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:12 am
I've got no problem visualizing things in color and with details. Was just mentally flipping through red apples, green ones, yellow ones with spots, dew wet ones on the tree, cut up ones and so on.

But I am suffering from a different condition, called prosopagnosia. I am almost unable to identify people by face or to remember faces. It makes for a socially awkward life.
I just tried, inspired by your question, to visualize the faces of my children in my mind. It doesn't work. I can only visualize bits of them, the eyes, the chin, the hair. But not the whole face in one piece.
Apples are much easier.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not sure - I know I can't see it in my mind, hold a photo of an apple in there. I know theoretically how an apple looks...

Cant see a thing

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Close your eyes. Block everything out. Picture an apple in your mind. Can you see it?

It's called aphantasia. I can picture ideas, like an idea of an apple. I didn't realize people can actually SEE an apple. I thought like people can see - like as in theoretically, like a phrase like "see what I mean" but you can't see what someone means since they are talking about something not physical.

You have too much time on your hands. Very Happy

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:25 am
I have no problem visualizing pictures in my mind and sometimes even going on to create the image with my camera (I'm a photographer) but like another azure I have a really hard time with human faces. It makes for a lot of awkward moments.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:27 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
You have too much time on your hands. Very Happy

No I don't - someone told me about the condition today, and I was like wait - people can visualize things in their brain? People don't actually do that, it's just a phrase...

EsG

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:28 am
I am a very visual thinker. I think in pictures rather than words. I can totally imagine an apple. But, and I think this is weird, only in black and white!

glamourmom

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:31 am
I see it in my brain but not with my eyes. my eyes just see black with other colors phasing in and out. and I tried hard to see it.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:40 am
EsG wrote:
I am a very visual thinker. I think in pictures rather than words. I can totally imagine an apple. But, and I think this is weird, only in black and white!

I am a visual thinker too but not with actually seeing it in front of me
I think better through screens, cartoons, pictures, charts.
When I read I imagine the scene in my head with colors but not "actually seeing it in front of me"

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:42 am
I’ve heard that for some people it’s caused by trauma. Not every case, but sometimes

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:53 am
Ok this is weird. I thought that was normal. Everyone doesn't see pictures in their brain?
I don't remember faces though. Yes, socially awkward. Sad

avocado7

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:02 pm
It's not easy to visualize an apple

behappy2

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:14 pm
It's visual memory. When you see something it's not your eyes seeing it, it's your brain.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:19 pm
delete

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:50 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I’ve heard that for some people it’s caused by trauma. Not every case, but sometimes

Correct. I was told about this by a friend who is recovering and has PTSD.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Nope. I can’t visualise a thing. Any type of “mindfulness” idea has my eyes rolling when it starts with “visualise a lake...” or “visualise your happy place...” They lose me at “visualise” in those scenarios. The only way I can visualise an apple is if I see one right in front of me in the fruit bowl. 🍎 🍏

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:14 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Nope. I can’t visualise a thing. Any type of “mindfulness” idea has my eyes rolling when it starts with “visualise a lake...” or “visualise your happy place...” They lose me at “visualise” in those scenarios. The only way I can visualise an apple is if I see one right in front of me in the fruit bowl. 🍎 🍏

I like meditation and I think of the idea of the ocean. Meditation is nice with a video or just sounds. I can't imagine the ocean but I can remember the last time I was there and remember the feeling of the sun on my body, and sound of the waves.

Frumme

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Correct. I was told about this by a friend who is recovering and has PTSD.

Apparently it's common in people with dyslexia or ADHD.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics