Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How much food to send to a couple for shabbos?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:55 pm
How many challos to last for all meals, how much chicken etc?

Thanks

singleagain

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:57 pm
You need four rolls so that way you can have three meals.

as for how much chicken and such really depends on how much those people eat. I mean me and my parents will eat maybe two pieces of chicken between us. It is better to probably just ask them directly.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:59 pm
If your doing dark meat I would do one full leg and thigh per person. For bone in chicken breast, I would do one per person.

weasley

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:00 pm
I would give 2 mini challos and 2 rolls

I would give a quarter chicken per adult. Although many adults wont eat all of it you dont want to go less incase they do eat more and by asking how much they eat it can sound like your rationing the portions.

ETA for quarter chicken I mean a leg and a thigh per person

singleagain

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:11 pm
You might still want to ask. Bc for instance I don't like thighs. I maybe eat a leg... But that's It.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:22 pm
singleagain wrote:
You might still want to ask. Bc for instance I don't like thighs. I maybe eat a leg... But that's It.

And I can easily eat two thighs and a polka. But I won't touch white meat.
DH eats tons of challah, 2 small challot and 2 rolls wouldn't be enough for us for Shabbat.
We'd both be starving.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:36 pm
Thanks all!

@amother Blonde, how many medium sized challahs would you go through over shabbos? (I usually make a 2lb batch and divide into 4 challahs, so that's the size I'm referring to.)

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks all!

@amother Blonde, how many medium sized challahs would you go through over shabbos? (I usually make a 2lb batch and divide into 4 challahs, so that's the size I'm referring to.)

2lbs of dough or 2lbs of flour?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:40 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
2lbs of dough or 2lbs of flour?

Flour!

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:40 pm
2 small challos, 2 rolls.
1 chicken cut in 8ths.

They can use the leftovers.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Thanks

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks all!

Send 3 portions of chicken. Always good to send 1 extra in case someone is hungry.
For the size challahs you mention, I'd send 3-4.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Flour!

Probably three loaves of that size.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:47 pm
And I usually err on this. I add more portions so they should have more and not less.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:55 pm
I think it depends if you're sending more food or not.

Traditional chassidish meal would be:
Friday night
One small/medium challah
2 slices of fish
2 small container of dips
2 lb container of chicken soup
2 generous slices of kugel
2 portions of chicken

Morning meal
1 small/medium challah
2 slices of fish
3-4 eggs
2 lb container of cholent
Maybe dessert

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:18 pm
weasley wrote:
I would give 2 mini challos and 2 rolls

I would give a quarter chicken per adult. Although many adults wont eat all of it you dont want to go less incase they do eat more and by asking how much they eat it can sound like your rationing the portions.

ETA for quarter chicken I mean a leg and a thigh per person

This is not enough for two adults for all the shabbos meals. Once you agree to do this for someone, don't be skimpy please.

OP, send a whole chicken, a kugel (not a few slices), at least a quart of soup and/or fish, a salad, a cooked veg, one of these: deli/shnitzel/cholent, and at least one whole challah and a few small ones. Its nice to add fruit or dessert also.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Thanks

2 large challahs and a couple rolls, 4 pieces chicken, 6 pieces fish, sides, kugel, cole slaw, dessert

singleagain wrote:
You need four rolls so that way you can have three meals.

as for how much chicken and such really depends on how much those people eat. I mean me and my parents will eat maybe two pieces of chicken between us. It is better to probably just ask them directly.

Four rolls? That’s it for challah? Huh?

mha3484 wrote:
If your doing dark meat I would do one full leg and thigh per person. For bone in chicken breast, I would do one per person.

That’s cheap, most people need a little more.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:21 pm
Delete

singleagain

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:32 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Four rolls? That’s it for challah? Huh?.

Apologies I was doing voice to text and the phone didn't know the Hebrew word for the bread we eat. So I just said four rolls I didn't literally mean rolls I should have clarified.

However, as I said you should check with the people because some people just don't eat a lot in some people eating way much so check with them what they need what they want what they like.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:36 pm
I serve my husband a leg and thigh plus a starch, a veggie, fish, challah, dips, soup in the winter. I dont always eat the chicken late at night if I do its usually just a thigh. How much do people eat if a full leg/thigh is cheap?

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:38 pm
singleagain wrote:
Apologies I was doing voice to text and the phone didn't know the Hebrew word for the bread we eat. So I just said four rolls I didn't literally mean rolls I should have clarified.

However, as I said you should check with the people because some people just don't eat a lot in some people eating way much so check with them what they need what they want what they like.

I wouldn’t ask. Do you think they’ll feel comfortable asking for more than what she’s offering? It’s always better to send extra. They can always use it during the week.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note