Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Szechwan-Style Eggplant

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 11:47 am
This is one of my favorite recipes.

Best result is to salt the eggplant to leach the excess water which is bitter. Dice the eggplant and put in a colander with a plate weighed down by a can. Place in the sink or over a bowl and let it drain for an hour or so. DO NOT FORGET to wash off the salt as I once did. Smile

It's very easy to prep the various ingredients ahead so cooking comes together quickly and easy when ready to sauté. I included it in salads and dips because I enjoy the leftovers cold or at room temperature. You may or may not of course.

Szechwan-Style Eggplant
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: CLBB
Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

1/4 cup vegetable oil - I use a MUCH small amount - maybe 1 tablespoon or so and cook in a large nonstick skillet
1 1/4 lb eggplant (peeled) cut into 1/2 inch cubes - about 6 cups)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 cup chicken (or vegetarian) broth
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced peeled ginger root
2-3 teaspoons Szechwan chili paste (or to taste - I recommend 2 as that's what I used and it was pretty spicy) - any hot sauce works. Srichcha is great
1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon Sherry
3 scallions sliced thin
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar packed
1 red bell pepper minced (or chopped in small chunks)
1/2 teaspoon oriental sesame oil to taste

Directions:

In wok or large skillet heat the veg. oil over high heat until it is hot but not smoking. Stir-fry eggplant over moderately high heat for 3-5 minutes or until tender and browned. Transfer to paper towel lined plate to drain.

In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the broth. To the wok add the garlic, the ginger root, the Chile paste, the hoisin sauce, the vinegar, and the sherry and stirfry mixture for 30 seconds. Add scallions and stir fry for 30 seconds.

Add soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch mixture (stirred), the bell pepper and the eggplant and stir fry for 1 minute until eggplant absorbs most liquid. Remove wok from heat, add sesame oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss mixture well.

Notes:

Mise en place is key. Putting all the sauces in little bowls is such a time saver as actual cooking time is very small.

exaustedmom

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 11:56 am
Thank you so much for posting. I love eggplant. Definitely want to try this one

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:12 pm
exaustedmom wrote:
Thank you so much for posting. I love eggplant. Definitely want to try this one

I just added my other favorite eggplant recipe - Eggplant Caponata - which is easy to make and delicious. It's a great dish because it only gets better when left in the refrigerator and makes a great dish for hot weather.

thriver

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 2:13 pm
Ha! This caught my eye because I just made a similar recipe with eggplant and tofu. It was delicious. Even some of my kids ate it 😆
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics