Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
S/o diet changes for 10 year old

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:54 pm
My 10 year old son has been going through some difficult phases, and I am sure that it is diet connected. He has insomnia, eczema in the winter, asthma in the summer, gets dehydrated easily, and has a very sensitive personality that's crossed over into moodiness over the last year. He is terribly picky about both food and clothing, and complains loudly about both.
Part of it is our relationship, which I need to work on. But I believe that part is food sensitivity. Any idea for getting him on board with changes?

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:57 pm
Appointment with a nutritionist? They can stress the importance of making those changes and it won't be coming from "you"

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 1:03 pm
I don't like the nutritionists who take my insurance, I don't believe in making nutrition for kids into a behavioral issue. And paying privately is out of the question, even for one session.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 1:16 pm
If he is sensitive about his foods and the relationship is an issue, I wouldn't stress the food angle. I would go in from the side. I would check with your pediatrician whether he (or anyone else in the practice) would sit down with you to discuss foods. And then I would make the positive foods available in the house in appealing ways.

Other avenue: Have you seen an allergist? With the eczema and asthma, there could be some actual allergies in play that are manifesting in unconventional ways.. Plus, since they deal with food, they may have other insights. A gastro could be good if he has a lot of stomachaches.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 2:04 pm
OP as someone who has had to do this. It is going to be extremely difficult. Ime the only effective angle to come at this from is one of authority. This is what we decided is necessary for your health right now. Best would be if it’s coming from a doctor and not from you. But you will have to find a doctor that is on board, mainstream medicine is still not supporting diet changes other then what’s a blatant classic Ige allergy or similar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)