Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Ethnic Food Recipes
Previous  1  2  3

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 11:28 am
I posted this recipe previously but might as well post here as well.

Per my long winded explanation, this is a super popular Korean food and restaurants serving it have popped up all over Los Angeles and are wildly popular. That and Nashville "Hot" Fried Chicken but that isn't an ethnic recipe. The recipe is essentially an excellent but somewhat novel schnitzel recipe.

I have been reading reviews of the trendy Korean fried chicken joints sprouting around Los Angeles so was happy to try this recipe.

Not more difficult than regular schnitzel but very good and I think would appeal to even less adventurous eaters.

You don't need a potato bun you do want a soft relatively bland bun - or no bun.

Notes are the cookbook author.

KOREAN FRIED CHICKEN SANDWICH WITH SPICY HONEY AND MISO AÏOLI

Excerpt From: Daphne Oz. - The Happy Cook

All over New York, Korean fried chicken chains have been cropping up. And the addictive spicy-sweet glaze and TV-commercial-ready crunch typically found on their wings makes the only question: Why did it take so long?

The miso aïoli and spicy honey glaze are my favorite backup dancers for the star act, chicken. Sometimes I’ll skip the buns entirely and just use a crisp lettuce shell—the better to taste it all, my dear!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

FRIED CHICKEN THIGHS

1 cup cornstarch (cake flour or Wondra flour also work great to provide a thin, crunchy, even coating, but cornstarch is the crunchiest)
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut crosswise into 3 strips
Peanut oil, for frying
4 potato buns
8 iceberg lettuce leaves

SPICY HONEY GLAZE

3 tablespoons honey
1½ tablespoons Sriracha sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar or lemon juice
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon kosher salt

MISO AÏOLI

¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon white or yellow miso
1 garlic clove, grated on a Microplane-style rasp
¼ teaspoon kosher salt

To make the chicken, in a medium bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, baking powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to taste. Add the chicken pieces and turn to coat them in the cornstarch mixture.

Pour 1½ inches of oil into a heavy-bottomed, straight-sided skillet and heat the oil until an instant-read thermometer reaches 375°F. Set a wire rack over a paper bag or paper towels (to absorb the oil) and have at the ready.

While the oil heats, make the spicy honey glaze. In a large bowl (big enough to hold the chicken), whisk together the honey, Sriracha, rice vinegar, soy sauce, chives, cayenne, and salt. Set the glaze aside.

To make the miso aïoli, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, miso, garlic, and salt. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Add a few pieces of chicken to the oil, dropping it in away from you, so the oil doesn’t splatter toward you. (Don’t overcrowd the skillet or the temperature of the oil will drop and the chicken will be greasy.) Fry the chicken, turning the pieces midway through cooking, until they are browned and crisp on both sides, about 6 minutes total. Use a slotted spoon or frying spider to transfer the chicken to the wire rack. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
While the chicken is hot, add it to the bowl with the glaze and toss to coat.

Divide the aïoli among the 4 buns and add 1 lettuce leaf to each bottom bun half. Top with a few pieces of fried chicken and a second lettuce leaf, then the top bun half, and serve. Any leftover chicken is great chopped up over a salad the next day, though I’ve never had this happen.

BREADING BREAKDOWN

Whenever you’re “breading” something, the traditional rule of thumb is that you want to follow the three steps of FEB: Flour. Eggs. Breadcrumbs. In this case, we are taking it down to just one step for a light and supercrispy coating of just seasoned cornstarch and baking powder. If you want a thicker, more traditional fried chicken, you can dip the cornstarch-coated chicken into whisked eggs, and then into a third bath of breadcrumbs (panko works great) or more of the cornstarch mixture.

jweiss

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 11:56 am
israelmama wrote:
Oooo... You definitely have a new follower now Smile

Yay!! Hope you try some of the recipes and enjoy them!

Momof14

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 10:23 am
Wow. These recipes are really super duper. Thanks! Keep em coming. Very not run of the mill!

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 10:56 am
Dajaaj ma’a Dibs Rummaan

Chicken with Pomegranate Molasses

Excerpt From: Habeeb Salloum, Leila Salloum Elias and Muna Salloum. “The Scent of Pomegranates and Rose Water: Reviving the Beautiful Food Traditions of Syria

Serve this over a bed of rice.

4 tbsp olive oil
3 lb (1.5 kg) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces - I used skinned chicken thighs. I always take off skin in braised chicken dishes
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp baharaat - this is a Spice blend. See simple directions below if you can’t get it blended
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 medium onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
4 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1/2 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
3 tbsp dibs rummaan - this is pomegranate molasses. You can actually use pomegranate juice if you want to boil down to thicken it until it is the consistency of molasses - or you can buy it :-)
2 cups (500 mL) stewed tomatoes, pureed - stewed tomatoes are sweetened. You can sub regular canned tomatoes and sweeten slightly if you find the results too acidic
3 cups (700 mL) water

In a pan* heat oil then add chicken and sprinkle with paprika, baharaat, salt, and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes, turning once, then stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender, stirring occasionally

I used my large Dutch oven with a cover because it has enough space to properly sear the chicken and enough capacity to hold all the other ingredients

Lebanese Baharaat Spice Blend:

Makes a scant ¼ cup

Ingredients:

* 2 teaspoons black pepper
* 1 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 teaspoon ground cloves

Method:

Grind any spices if you only have them in seed form.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:46 am
I am OBSESSED with Indian food! https://www.pinterest.com/rivk.....such/ I have made just about all of these at one time or another. Soy yogurt is essential if you are working with meat, and margarine can be subbed for butter or ghee.

There are some kitchen basics that I've really come to rely on.

Sriracha sauce is the fastest and best way to get some heat into your food. It works with every type of cuisine, and blends well with all kinds of spices without taking over.

Finely ground white pepper is a nice variation from coarse ground black pepper. It's more subtle and complex, and can really elevate a dish, especially cream sauces. A pinch of nutmeg in cream sauces is also a game changer. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

Miso in everything that calls for salt! Miso is so wonderfully complex, and the different types have different strengths and flavor profiles. It's not expensive, so play around with it. Miso chocolate truffles are a big "thing" right now, replacing the salted caramel craze of the past few years.

Lemongrass. Oh how I love lemongrass. Heart If you can find it fresh, and it sill has a little bit of the root end on, then grab a couple of packages. Cook with one package, and plant the other one. You'll have to baby the plants at first and make sure the roots don't dry out, and some of the plants won't take. That's OK. Once the strongest plants take root, they will thrive with minimal care.

When cooking with lemongrass, smash it well with a hammer first. That's how you release the oil from the tough fibers. Then wrap it in a cheesecloth with the ginger, peppers, and garlic, so you can lift it out of the soup before you serve. Nobody likes chomping on dry woody sticks!

Go out of your way to buy spices at a shuk, produce at farmer's markets, and dairy from a sheep or goat farm (cow cheeses are so bland and boring.) What will make your dishes amazing isn't always technique, or the amount of work involved, but the quality of the ingredients. I'm sorry to tell you, but there is NO substitute for saffron, so save up your shekels and splurge on a small vial. You'll be glad you did.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 1:27 pm
Amarante wrote:

Lebanese Baharaat Spice Blend:

Makes a scant ¼ cup

Ingredients:

* 2 teaspoons black pepper
* 1 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 teaspoon ground cloves

Method:

Grind any spices if you only have them in seed form.

This is crazy. Hpw did you know I've been looking just for this right now??

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 11:03 am
Classic Thai flavors. I have included a recipe for Green Curry Paste because it is impossible to find a kosher version and it is a basic ingredient for almost every Thai dish and many other South East Asian dishes.

The Curry Paste can be made well ahead and so cooking the dish is pretty fast and simple like most stir fries. Rice is the obvious accompaniment and Thai restaurants typically will have an option of a coconut rice.

You could add some other Thai dishes - Chicken Satay is delicious and would go well. Or Thai soup.

Quick Thai Coconut Beef Stir Fry

Excerpt From: Mary Berry. “One Step Ahead: Over 100 simple make-ahead recipes and tips to save you time and effort.

This dish is so quick to make and quite delicious. It’s on the chilli-hot side, so go steady with the Thai paste. It is very trendy to serve each person with a bowl of stir-fry alongside a bowl of rice.

SERVES 6

350g (12 oz) rump beef steak
2 tablespoons oil
1 bunch of spring onions, thinly sliced (keep the white parts and the green ends separate)
1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon green Thai paste - see recipe below
150g (5 oz) shiitake mushrooms, halved
225g can of bamboo shoots, drained
400 ml can of coconut milk
1 tablespoon brown sugar
grated zest and juice of 1 lime
150g (5 oz) mangetout, thinly sliced - these are snow peas. Snow peas are skinny so I just left them whole but took out that stringy part

All the ingredients can be prepared up to a day ahead and kept in the fridge. They are not suitable for freezing.

Trim any surplus fat from the steak and beat it out between two pieces of cling film, using a wooden rolling pin, until 1cm (½ inch) thick. Slice into thin strips. - Freezing the meat for about an hour makes it much easier to slice thin

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan. Brown the beef very quickly in two batches. Set aside. Add the remaining oil and the white parts from the spring onions, the red pepper and the Thai paste to the pan, and stir-fry for a few seconds.

Add the mushrooms, bamboo shoots, coconut milk, sugar and lime zest and juice. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Add the mangetout and return the beef to the pan, and then simmer for another 3 minutes. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. Sprinkle the green parts from the spring onions over the top.

Turn into warmed bowls and serve with boiled rice.

Green Curry Paste

* 1/2 tsp whole coriander seed (or powder)
* 1 tsp whole cumin seed (or powder)
* 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns (or ground pepper)
* 3 small green chilies (I used serrano - stems + most seeds removed) - most of the heat is in the seeds
* 1 medium green bell pepper* - stems and seeds removed - chopped
* 5 cloves garlic, peeled
* 2 stalks lemongrass (tips trimmed, halved, + chopped)
* 1 heaping Tbsp fresh sliced ginger or galangal (or 1 tsp ground ginger)
* 6 stalks green onions (sliced // or sub 1/2 cup diced shallot per 6 stalks green onion)
* 1 Tbsp fresh turmeric (or sub 1 tsp ground turmeric per 1 Tbsp fresh)
* 1/2 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
* 3 Tbsp lemon juice
* 1 medium lime, zested and juiced (yields ~3 Tbsp or 45 ml as original recipe is written)
* 2-3 Tbsp avocado or grape seed oil (or sub water if low fat)
* 1 Tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar (to balance heat)

Instructions

* If using whole coriander, cumin seeds, and black peppercorns, add to a small skillet and toast over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes, shaking / stirring occasionally, or until fragrant and slightly deeper in color. Be careful not to burn! If using powder, skip this step.

* Once seeds are toasted, add to a mortar and pestle and loosely crush. If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, slightly cool the seeds, add them to a sandwich bag, and crush with a rolling pin or a heavy pan. Set aside.

* To a food processor (or blender with a narrow base), add green chilies, bell pepper, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, green onions (or shallot), coriander, cumin, black pepper, turmeric, sea salt, lemon juice, lime zest + juice, oil / water, and maple syrup (or other sweetener). Blend / mix until a paste forms, scraping sides down as needed. The lemongrass can be difficult to grind at first, but give it time! It's fine.

* Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lime zest or juice for acidity, salt for saltiness, chilies for heat, maple syrup for sweetness, oil (or water) for creaminess, garlic for zing, ginger for brightness, or turmeric for more intense curry flavor.

* Store curry paste in a jar in the refrigerator up to 10 days or more. For longer storage, transfer paste to an ice cube tray, freeze, then store in a freezer-safe bag up to 1 month.

* This curry paste is ideal for curries, soups, sauces, salad dressings, and more!

Freezer Friendly 1 month
Does it keep? 10 Days

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:44 pm
I made a real winner last night (according to 1 person, my husband) and it's perfect for the nine days! It's called ashe reshteh and it's a Persian noodle soup made with herbs and legumes.

1. Chop the greens coarsely: 1 bunch parsley, 1 bunch cilantro, 2 scallions (green part), 1 leek, 1 large bunch spinach. Rinse and let dry. You can be flexible with the greens, if you want to adjust the amounts.
2. In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat 4 tbs oil. Add in 1 chopped yellow onion and cook until golden. Add 2 cloves minced garlic and cook another few minutes.
3. Add 1 can chickpeas and 1.5 cups brown lentils along with 1 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp pepper. You may also add about 1/4 cup of navy or kidney beans here - we don't like them so I left them out Smile Stir to mix up everything in the pot.
4. Next, add in all the greens along with approximately 10 cups of water. The pot will be EXTREMELY leafy but don't worry because the greens will wilt! Add a healthy sprinkle of salt.
5. Bring to a boil and then simmer covered for 1 hour, checking on it to stir.
6. Break 8oz fettuccine or linguine in half and add to the pot. Bring to a boil again and then simmer for 30 more minutes. In a perfect world you'd use actual reshteh noodles but the fettuccine was a good alternative.
7. While the noodles are cooking, make the caramelized onions: heat 2 tbs oil in a saucepan and add 1 thinly sliced yellow onion. Sprinkle in some salt and some sugar. Let cook for about 30 minutes, making sure you stir it around. Eventually it should become brown and caramelized.
8. Add in 1tbsp of dried mint to the caramelized onions and stir to coat. When everything is ready, ladle the soup into a bowl and spoon some of the onions on top as a garnish.

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 3:19 pm
This is Indian - obviously. A vegetable curry would be a good second dish. Or a biriyani rice

Bengum Bhurta Baked Eggplant Curry

Excerpt From: Joan Nathan - The New American Cooking.” Apple Books.

This is a classic dish served throughout India and in most Indian restaurants in the United States. I particularly like this version with peas and cream.

YIELD: 6–8 SERVINGS AS ONE OF A FEW MAIN COURSES

3 medium eggplants (about 1 pound each)
8–9 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon garam masala*
1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
1½ teaspoons salt, or to taste
1½ medium tomatoes, chopped
½ cup canned tomato purée
¼ cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1⁄3 cup green peas

* This combination of spices includes some or all of the following: black pepper, cumin, coriander, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, mace, cassia, caraway, cinnamon, and dried ginger. It is available in Indian markets or online.

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and cut the eggplants in half lengthwise. Place them cut side up on a foil-lined baking sheet and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the oil. Bake for about 30 minutes or until soft. Cool the eggplants, remove as many seeds as you can, and scoop the pulp from the skin, squeezing out the excess liquid. Chop the eggplant into 1-inch pieces.

2. Heat the remaining 5–6 tablespoons of oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat and sauté the onion and cumin seeds until the onion is translucent and soft, just a few minutes.

3. Add the chili powder, turmeric, coriander, ground cumin, and garam masala to the skillet and stir quickly to blend everything. Then add the chopped eggplant, fenugreek leaves, and salt. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and tomato purée. Bring to a simmer and cook gently, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.

4. Just before serving, add the cream and heat, then stir in 2 tablespoons of the cilantro and the green peas. Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of cilantro and serve over rice.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Aug 05 2020, 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 4:09 pm
All "Taste of Asia" brand products are kosher under the London Beis Din. This includes Thai curry pastes, seaweeds, and miso varieties.

For Indian products, "Rami" brand is under the KSA, all spices and sauce blends. For other items, you need to check. I don't think their ghee is covered, but the tamarind paste is fine.

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 4:14 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
All "Taste of Asia" brand products are kosher under the London Beis Din. This includes Thai curry pastes, seaweeds, and miso varieties.

For Indian products, "Rami" brand is under the KSA, all spices and sauce blends. For other items, you need to check. I don't think their ghee is covered, but the tamarind paste is fine.

As you probably know, ghee is easy to make as its just clarified butter.

Is there kosher fish sauce?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 4:20 pm
Amarante wrote:
Is there kosher fish sauce?

Sure! It's in the aisle with the unicorn puree and fried elephant wings. You can't miss it. Tongue Out

Sorry, no such thing. Fish sauce needs shrimp paste, and assorted fishes, and then it needs to ferment for a long time. There's just not enough of a market for people to try and figure out a kosher version.

I suppose you could come up with your own recipe, but then you'd have to dig a pit in your back yard, put the sauce in a clay pot, and then bury it for at least 10 years. Seems like too much of a patchke to me.

A Philippina friend of mine converted to Judaism, and she hasn't stopped moaning about the loss of fish sauce in her life. Oh how the Jews have suffered!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics