Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Spinoff- burntoff from cooking, wwyd picky dh
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:44 pm
What do you do if you're tired of cooking and picky dh?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:46 pm
Divorce!

giselle

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:47 pm
Teach him how to cook.

amother
Lawngreen

Let him figure out his own meals. Prepare something you know he likes when you're in the mood of doing so.

amother
Khaki

amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Divorce!

Just kidding!!😉

challahchallah

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:48 pm
Shift more of the cooking responsibility to him?

Have him go through and list out with you as many suppers that you can think of that you’ll both eat. Use that list to help plan out menus so you can prep in advance more.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:50 pm
My ex only wanted meat and potatoes or rice. For every. single. meal. He also hid cakes under his bed, and didn't think I knew about them. Rolling Eyes

DD and I love fruits, veggies, salads, soups, fish, etc. so I just made his meals in a large amount, and then heated up portions. He didn't care if he had the same thing every day.

Then I made a tiny portion of meat for me and DD, and we had the yummy healthy stuff to go with it.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:52 pm
I. Am. So. Sick. Of. Cooking.
Since quarantine my husband has started to occasionally prepare food for himself. He literally didn't know how to boil an egg and now he knows how to make something when he's hungry. I think it's ok to let your husband figure it out here or there or just get takeout. When you do have the energy to cook I would reccomend filling your freezer with suppers so you can just take out a tray and put it in the oven on days you can't cook.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:58 pm
Oh my GOD I went into the basement to let out a primal scream this past erev Shabbos because I was just DONE with DH’s food preferences.

No dark meat chicken at all
No chicken breast on the bone
No BAKED or crock pot chicken breasts, only fried schnitzel.

And some days I just don’t have time to stand over a pan and fry stuff!! And I just want to put some chicken in the oven and walk away to do something else!

And roast beef is too unhealthy and expensive to have every Shabbos.

DH said “so... do you want to have vegetarian Shabbos meals?”

—

I put a whole chicken in the oven one day before I took the kids out for a long afternoon so he could work at home, and it came out moist and delicious and I carved it so he wouldn’t have to eat his white meat off the bone — and he didn’t touch it because he didn’t want to be fleishig. He would just have a bowl of yogurt for dinner.

—

And my kids all copy him so there is no such thing as a family dinner in this house. DS10 demands I buy bagels from one particular bakery and nowhere else. DS7 says he’ll just have a mug of chocolate milk every single night for dinner.

Aaaagh

Last edited by bigsis144 on Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:02 pm
PB&J
grilled cheese
burrito
tuna sandwich
fried egg sandwich
oatmeal
frozen pizza

He should be able to make all those things himself. No one's going to starve if you go on a cooking break for a while.

If I have time, I'll make large portions of food dh likes so he can heat it up whenever he wants something different from what we're having. Like a large pot of rice and some baked fish or chicken. Then I feel free to make stuff the kids eat but dh doesn't, because I know he'll have a filling meal available.

giselle

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:07 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
PB&J
grilled cheese
burrito
tuna sandwich
fried egg sandwich
oatmeal
frozen pizza

He should be able to make all those things himself. No one's going to starve if you go on a cooking break for a while.

If I have time, I'll make large portions of food dh likes so he can heat it up whenever he wants something different from what we're having. Like a large pot of rice and some baked fish or chicken. Then I feel free to make stuff the kids eat but dh doesn't, because I know he'll have a filling meal available.

Chicken
Meat
Potatoes
Salad
Roasted veggies

He should be able to make all those things himself.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:14 pm
Let him cook for himself. Make an option that he likes when it’s not a big deal, otherwise get him to join in the cooking

RuralIma

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:14 pm
When I get sick of cooking my husband and son figure it out between themselves what they want to eat and then they cook it and eat it. Sometimes that means they eat pasta, oatmeal, hot dogs, cereal, sandwiches, eggs, soup. Sometimes my husband will ask me for a recipe and tips and I will happily give them but otherwise he's on his own. Sometimes he will ask me to look at something he's making if he's unsure. Every adult, regardless of gender, should know how to make at least basic meals and feed themself.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:20 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Oh my GOD I went into the basement to let out a primal scream this past erev Shabbos because I was just DONE with DH’s food preferences.

And some days I just don’t have time to stand over a pan and fry stuff!! And I just want to put some chicken in the oven and walk away to do something else!

—

I put a whole chicken in the oven one day before I took the kids out for a long afternoon so he could work at home, and it came out moist and delicious and I carved it so he wouldn’t have to eat his white meat off the bone — and he didn’t touch it because he didn’t want to be fleishig. He would just have a bowl of yogurt for dinner.

—

And my kids all copy him so there is no such thing as a family dinner in this house. DS10 demands I buy bagels from one particular bakery and nowhere else. DS7 says he’ll just have a mug of chocolate milk every single night for dinner.

Aaaagh

I confess. I don't eat chicken with skin or bones. I don't do dark meat, ever. And the only things I can tolerate from a crockpot are cholent and chili. I don't consider myself picky; of course, I most of the cooking.

Make a healthful dinner available to the family, then let them eat whatever parts of it they want. You can also cook extras for people with food aversions, so they can pull out some veggie chili from the freezer when others eat chicken on the bone.

Or tell them to cook for themselves.

BTW, if you have room, go for an air fryer. It may make your life easier.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you do if you're tired of cooking and picky dh?

Make a list of the foods that he will eat. Anything that is easy to make, batch cook and freeze in portion sized containers.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 3:32 pm
There's no way I'd have married a picky eater. But if I had married one, I suppose that in the first blush of newlywedkeit I'd have catered to his tastes. That would have gotten old very fast, after which I'd have let the dear man know that I cook what I cook. If that doesn't suit him, the kitchen belongs to both of us and he is welcome to cook whatever pleases him.

But I knew this wasn't going to happen. Dh deplores picky eaters almost as much as I do.

mushkale

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 4:01 pm
When I run out of ideas for my very picky husband, the rule is that now he needs to come up with the menu. I'm happy to cook for him but he has to tell me exactly what and that includes main and sides otherwise he can have crackers and chummus.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 4:15 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

—

—

Aaaagh

I have never laughed so hard. We need to be best friends. I managed to get a couple of children to be healthy eaters, but a couple of my children reject my best efforts on the matter. I call it the white diet. Yogurt, bread, macaroni, ice cream, cereal and milk. That's it. I give up.

#Happymom

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 4:34 pm
Yikes!! Dont tell me!
Dh is super picky, no potatoes, no fish, no vegetables, no rice, no pasta, no cholent, no kugel, no chicken soup
Only chicken and shnitzel (one recipe)
But Im still hoping my dd will be okay...

silverlining3

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 4:45 pm
#Happymom wrote:
Yikes!! Dont tell me!
Dh is super picky, no potatoes, no fish, no vegetables, no rice, no pasta, no cholent, no kugel, no chicken soup
Only chicken and shnitzel (one recipe)
But Im still hoping my dd will be okay...

And I thought we're a picky family....
Kugel, potatoes, chicken soup, and cholent is husbands favorite. His favorite supper is chicken soup, fried schnitzel with mash potatoes.
Pasta and basic veggies I'm okay with. My oldest is super picky. While my other kids eat much better and more, some people still say they're pretty 'choosy'.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics