Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
What shirts are "in" for jr high boys in MO schools?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 10:29 am
We're switching our kid to a more modern school and aren't sure what clothes to buy him. The staff members we talked to said that really anything goes (they have to wear a collared shirt for school but no one cares what type it is), but I know how junior high kids are and I suspect there really are things he could wear that would be considered uncool/cool. I know every community's different but I'm just curious, if your kids go to a MO school in the U.S., what your boys like to wear. Do the boys wear button-down shirts with a button-down collar or prefer no button-down collar? What about polos? What kind of shoes? Please don't mock this post and say clothes don't matter. We want him to feel comfortable and we're not part of that community so we really don't know the unwritten norms. We looked at the pictures the school posted on Facebook but there weren't enough to really tell. Thank you!

simcha2

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 10:32 am
Definitely a polo rather than a button shirt. I would look at their website and look at pictures of the kids (not picture day, pics, but the candid ones) and see what they're wearing.

Shoes- sneakers, either Nike or Adidas.

But best to speak to a parent who has kids in the school.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:15 pm
My kids are in MO schools in Bergen County. When my son was in middle school the boys all wore short sleeve polos all year round. Theirs had to be solid colors with no logos. He did't care about brands. No one wore button downs and everyone wore sneakers.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We looked at the pictures the school posted on Facebook but there weren't enough to really tell. Thank you!

If you know some names of other families, you should also look for pictures of other students under their parents' profiles or their own personal profiles.

By the way, I am MO, and I think this is a perfectly reasonable question.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 1:17 pm
In our middle school, it was solid polos, but that was dress-code. (You could wear a button down, but that was too formal).
Do you know anyone who sends?
Each school is different.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 2:44 pm
In my son's school definitely short sleeve polos all year round, with a hoodie or zip up sweatshirt over it in the winter. All of the boys wear sneakers. If you want to spend big bucks, whatever sneakers are considered very "cool" in general/secular society will be very cool in school. In my community it's not at all necessary though, any typical nikes/adidas/under armour etc. sneaker will be fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children