Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
TV Show/Film about us?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:46 pm
Which TV show or film portrays the orthodox and/or Chasidim in a right and good way.
I was asked by a non Jew. She watched "unorthodox" which I don't think is the best perception to have.

malki2

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:48 pm
Shtisel. Definitely.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:52 pm
malki2 wrote:
Shtisel. Definitely.

not so much

But there was an article in one of the publications about a film and the portrayal of chassidim, especially Belz

QueensMama

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:54 pm
There are none. Until we start creating our own media, this is impossible.

Give her a stack of Jewish magazines instead.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:55 pm
The best one is Srugim. But that is not chassidish. Still a good intro to Orthodox Jews, an accurate and positive portrayal.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:58 pm
https://www.kan.org.il/program/?catid=1531

The above is the link to the documentary on chassidim. Mostly Belz but also others. It's beautiful, but it's in Hebrew. I think they have it translated in English, but it costs something like $30 to watch.

In English it's called "Kingdoms"

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 1:24 pm
Fiddler on the Roof LOL LOL

Goldie613

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:03 pm
What about "The Wedding Plan" ? I think it might have been called something else originally, this is the version in Hebrew with English subtitles.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5991206/

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:11 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
What about "The Wedding Plan" ? I think it might have been called something else originally, this is the version in Hebrew with English subtitles.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5991206/

Depressing and demeaning towards women. Certainly won't make someone feel that ultra Orthodox women are happy and satisfied with their lot in society. Hated that movie.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:12 pm
I dont know if you would consider it positive but it looks like Menashe is based on his life experience and did not exaggerate the events that happened so it may be an accurate depiction of the chasidishe world.

shanie5

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:16 pm
A stranger among us.

Ushpezin

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:18 pm
shanie5 wrote:
A stranger among us.

Ushpezin

A Stranger Among Us is fun and campy. But hardly an accurate portrayal, lol.

Goldie613

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Depressing and demeaning towards women. Certainly won't make someone feel that ultra Orthodox women are happy and satisfied with their lot in society. Hated that movie.

Oy! I guess everyone is different - I thought it showed really well how maddening the shidduch scene can get, plus I thought the Kallah's faith was sweet. Terrifying for the those around her to watch, I'm sure, but sweet none the less. I thought it showed the Kallah as a brave and spiritual woman who refused to be humiliated by a break up or forced to put her dreams of marriage and a family on hold any longer.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:24 pm
Sorry, I watched it as an older single and it was horrible. Compounded the feeling of isolation, being socially outcast, as well as humiliating.
Hated the way she had to humiliate herself. The way it portrayed her desperation.

#Happymom

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:24 pm
Wow, I think I know the woman who produced 'the wedding plan.' She's an amazing lady!!

Goldie613

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:39 pm
What about books?

Faye Kellerman has a series of books (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus series - she has stand-alone ones as well) about a Jewish woman who helps a police officer solve crimes. Technically it's about the cases, but there's always a side plot about the woman's life. It's really good about explaining Jewish concepts and halachot, and a good read in general if you like that genre. The first one was about a crime at a mikvah, which is how the officer and the woman met.

The first book - https://fayekellerman.net/book/ritual-bath/

The series in order - https://www.bookseriesinorder......rman/

malki2

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:43 pm
I’m curious to know what some of you guys had against Shtisel. I found it to be so tastefully done, and the characters were so accurately portrayed, not like caricatures. I felt like they really went out of their way to portray the Chareidim as real people. And the acting was so good that it was hard to believe that none of the actors was religious. At least that’s my opinion.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:54 pm
I thought Shtisel and Srugim were both humanizing and positive.

What about Shababnikim? I haven't seen it myself, but have heard good things.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 4:03 pm
There's series and videos on youtube, like Ofrah with Chassidism and Refinery29 documenting a frum wedding

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 4:21 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
not so much

But there was an article in one of the publications about a film and the portrayal of chassidim, especially Belz
Why not? Everyone I have talked to has only the best things to say about Shtisel and how on target the producers were with the yerushalmi charedim in Israel.

What was "not so much"? Just curious to hear because I thought it was great. Very respectful and nothing with se%, drugs and rock and roll.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics