Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What chesed can my 20 yr old ds do?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 11:11 am
My 20 yr old son is in college and works part time. But, he has free time on mondays

From around 9 to 1. Unfortunately, he will not push himself to learn by himself as his

Chavrusa is working during the day and is not available until night.

I dont want him doing nothing. He will just sleep or go on internet which is not good
To "train" him for the real world ( when he will have to get up early every day and work).

I live in queens and was thinking if he can volunteer somewhere as a chesed starting in September.

I know about masbia which says on their website that they only take volunteers
From 2 pm and on which is when my son is not available.

Of course, he would want to find a job for Monday's 9 to 1 but since he was not successful,

Does anyone know of any organization that can use help/volunteers or has ideas
For what he can do to spend the time productive as a chesed?

Thank you.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 11:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 20 yr old son is in college and works part time. But, he has free time on mondays

From around 9 to 1. Unfortunately, he will not push himself to learn by himself as his

Chavrusa is working during the day and is not available until night.

I dont want him doing nothing. He will just sleep or go on internet which is not good
To "train" him for the real world ( when he will have to get up early every day and work).

I live in queens and was thinking if he can volunteer somewhere as a chesed starting in September.

I know about masbia which says on their website that they only take volunteers
From 2 pm and on which is when my son is not available.

Of course, he would want to find a job for Monday's 9 to 1 but since he was not successful,

Does anyone know of any organization that can use help/volunteers or has ideas
For what he can do to spend the time productive as a chesed?

Thank you.

You can try this place-- https://www.nycservice.org/organizations/913

Or you can look through New York Cares for projects in Queens then apply to the applicable places (or sign up through NY Cares)-- https://www.newyorkcares.org/s.....n=761

chestnut

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 11:40 am
Contact your local JCC? They might have a program for holocaust survivors where he could visit someone

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:02 pm
Great ideas so far.

Thanks so much.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:11 pm
Maybe he can drive people to hospitals?

Tzippy323

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 1:32 pm
Call the local shuls and get lists of people who are unable to do grocery shopping for themselves. He can do the shopping, figure out unit pricing for Best Buy’s if brands are not specified, and learn to pick out the best produce. What an amazing mitzvah!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 1:42 pm
Does he have any handyman skills? He could donate his time helping people do small repairs, hang pictures, put together Ikea furniture, and stuff like that.

We have a volunteer here in Beit Shemesh, and he's booked out two months or more in advance, with a waiting list in case of cancellations. It's a very important mitzva!

teachkids

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 2:05 pm
Is he the type to be great with older people? Special needs kids? Does he drive? What does he enjoy? What is he going to college for? We need a slightly fuller picture.

advocate

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:08 pm
Create captions for Torah videos to allow Deaf Jews access. Happy to explain more.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:10 pm
Can you find out if any parents of kids in the LIJ pediatric ward (Cohens?) can use a few hour break in the morning? The boys there would be so happy to have a guy vs a girl come stay with them. Though with COVID I'm not sure how it would work...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics