Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How much meatballs for two people?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 3:51 pm
I offered to send someone supper. I never know how much to send though so looking for help with that.

How much meatballs is the right amount to send for two people? I will also be sending a starch and a veg, not sure yet exactly what.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 3:53 pm
To actually just serve for one meal, 1/3 lb of meat per person

giselle

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 3:57 pm
Personally I’d use a pound of meat. It will be more than enough. You want to send a generous portion. 3/4 is probably fine too, but I wouldn’t do less than that.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 3:59 pm
I think 3-4 meatballs, plus a starch and veggie is a good portion but it also depends on how big you make them. That is the main variable.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 4:01 pm
As giselle said, use 1 pound ground meat.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 4:02 pm
1qt including the sauce. Always round up, it’s better to be generous than stingy with food.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 4:12 pm
Ok thanks all. That does sound a lot though. Do people really eat half a pound per person?

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 4:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok thanks all. That does sound a lot though. Do people really eat half a pound per person?

The best part about meatballs is how well they reheat and freeze. Ground beef is cheap... send one pounds worth and let them decide what to do with leftovers.

mha3484 wrote:
I think 3-4 meatballs, plus a starch and veggie is a good portion but it also depends on how big you make them. That is the main variable.

Like you said, it depends on the size of the meatball. But giving only 3-4 per person will look absurd and stingy in a package of food. 6-8 good sized meatballs is really not mentchlich to send to someone.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:40 pm
watergirl wrote:
Ground beef is cheap.

Not where I live. Roughly $9-$10 a lb last time I looked which was a looooong time ago. And it's never on sale, even if it expired yesterday.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:49 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Not where I live. Roughly $9-$10 a lb last time I looked which was a looooong time ago. And it's never on sale, even if it expired yesterday.

I stand corrected. But I still feel that if you cant give a generous amount of food, please coordinate with someone else and make part of a meal, not the entire thing. Offer to make a side for a shabbos meal and let someone else make the main.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:54 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
To actually just serve for one meal, 1/3 lb of meat per person

I disagree, that’s very little and very cheap looking. I’d give at least 4 large size meatballs per person. Better they should have extra than not enough.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:56 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

That’s a ripoff. The very expensive store near me charged $5 and change per lb.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 6:49 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I disagree, that’s very little and very cheap looking. I’d give at least 4 large size meatballs per person. Better they should have extra than not enough.

I posted as amother because I knew someone would say this. But honestly how much meat do people eat along with starch and veg at a meal? A half a pound per person? That sounds terribly unhealthy. I said for one meal--as in no leftovers, just an appropriate amount. If you want to send with built-in leftovers, send over twice as much.

I have never seen beef at $5/lb ever. Pretty sure $8-$9/lb

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 6:52 pm
4 meatballs per adult is very little. My kids eat 4 meatballs each. I'd send at least 7-8 per adult.
Using 1 lb meat is a good idea. If meat is too expensive for you, you can use dark ground chicken.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 6:54 pm
I'd send between 12 &14 meatballs. I think 5 or 6 is a portion but I wouldn't want to send exact.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 6:59 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

Of course it's a ripoff but we have no kosher butcher and only one store that carries kosher meat and poultry. They charge what they like because they have a captive audience and they know it.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 7:00 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

$5 a lb is very cheap for ground meat. I live in Monsey and it's about $11 a lb.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 7:04 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I posted as amother because I knew someone would say this. But honestly how much meat do people eat along with starch and veg at a meal? A half a pound per person? That sounds terribly unhealthy. I said for one meal--as in no leftovers, just an appropriate amount. If you want to send with built-in leftovers, send over twice as much.

I have never seen beef at $5/lb ever. Pretty sure $8-$9/lb

Yes, someone would eat that much in one meal. Also, their health and eating habits are not for you to cheshbon. Always send too much so you know the person will have enough for their appetite and err on the side of too much. Like, meet the needs of the lowest common denominator. That may mean they have leftovers, it may mean they have just enough.

And remember, many people who are receiving meals are getting them for a reason. They need help. Who knows if they had lunch that day and if your dinner is the only real meal they are going to be eating?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 7:11 pm
Wow, who knew such a topic could be so contentious!

- Meat costs between $4 and $11 per lb, depending on where you live
- Meatballs vary in size (so number of meatballs is an imprecise way of measuring)
- People vary in appetite
- There is a big concern that one should not look stingy
- There is a temptation to send enough of everything so that even if they eat nothing else, they will be full
- Whatever you do, someone will disagree with you.

Very sweet of you to offer, OP! There is really no way to know if they are the type to each eat 1lb of meat or if they'll get full after 2 meatballs.

I'm sure they'll appreciate your food either way!

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 7:14 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
$5 a lb is very cheap for ground meat. I live in Monsey and it's about $11 a lb.

For what its worth, I just checked the current listings where I live. Ground chicken/beef mix is $3.49/lb, organic lean ground beef is $7.99/lb, and regular ground beef is $6.69/lb.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen