Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
SLP scared to go into peoples homes due to COVID...
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 4:29 pm
Hi. I'm in my CF (SLP). Dont want to give too much ID info about my niche....

Sessions are resuming in person but DOH is mandating us to wear masks, SD with parents etc. My agency is not Jewish at all, I work with families from low SES...

Im expecting (still in first trimester). I havent told my boss yet... btw when should I be telling her??

I just got a new case near my house. Its many hours a day. Im scared to go into their house due to COVID even though Ill have to wear scrubs and a mask.

Any suggestions of what I can do? Is my only option to tell my boss that I can't go in person bc Im expecting? I really wasnt planning on telling her till I was showing and quite obvious...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:08 pm
anyone?

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:14 pm
I think you can just say you are high risk and because of that want to continue teleworking and see what she says. Be prepared that you might lose your job over it depending on the agency.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:15 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
I think you can just say you are high risk and because of that want to continue teleworking and see what she says. Be prepared that you might lose your job over it depending on the agency.

I can't really risk it. Im in my CF and need the next year to get fully licensed
When do people usually tell bosses about pregnancy?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:46 pm
I hear you.
My friend was let go of because she was unwilling to go to peoples homes for Home Care and she is a PT and her agency did not do telehealth.
I have been working this whole time. I have high risk family. It has been horrible.
I get so angry when the general public can't be bothered to wear a mask in a store.
There are a few choice people here who will tell you that you picked the allied health field and therefore they have no rachmanus and it's your problem.

Back to you.
It really stinks. They can't fire you if you tell them you are pregnant. But they can still make you go into homes and not give you any preferential treatment. If you can't afford to lose the job, I would consider telling them that you are pregnant and maybe they will be compassionate people. They are not required to be. I personally, if you need to go, would get your own N 95's, face-shield, gown, gloves, and separate work shoes. They will tell you at this time only a mask and gloves are necessary and will likely not provide the rest of the PPE and will discourage, however if you provide your own you have every right to wear it.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi. I'm in my CF (SLP). Dont want to give too much ID info about my niche....

Sessions are resuming in person but DOH is mandating us to wear masks, SD with parents etc. My agency is not Jewish at all, I work with families from low SES...

Im expecting (still in first trimester). I havent told my boss yet... btw when should I be telling her??

I just got a new case near my house. Its many hours a day. Im scared to go into their house due to COVID even though Ill have to wear scrubs and a mask.

Any suggestions of what I can do? Is my only option to tell my boss that I can't go in person bc Im expecting? I really wasnt planning on telling her till I was showing and quite obvious...

You should think very carefully because pregnancy is now one of the high risk categories.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:59 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I hear you.
My friend was let go of because she was unwilling to go to peoples homes for Home Care and she is a PT and her agency did not do telehealth.
I have been working this whole time. I have high risk family. It has been horrible.
I get so angry when the general public can't be bothered to wear a mask in a store.
There are a few choice people here who will tell you that you picked the allied health field and therefore they have no rachmanus and it's your problem.

Back to you.
It really stinks. They can't fire you if you tell them you are pregnant. But they can still make you go into homes and not give you any preferential treatment. If you can't afford to lose the job, I would consider telling them that you are pregnant and maybe they will be compassionate people. They are not required to be. I personally, if you need to go, would get your own N 95's, face-shield, gown, gloves, and separate work shoes. They will tell you at this time only a mask and gloves are necessary and will likely not provide the rest of the PPE and will discourage, however if you provide your own you have every right to wear it.

I can't stop crying about this. I am so worried about the baby. Its my first Sad and Ive been married such a short time as well im so overwhelmed with life in general. We've been very careful about SD and covid and now they expect me to go into people's homes and I have no idea how clean they are and if they had the virus or not

part of me wants to take this home case b/c he ages out end of august and I feel like I should just suck it up for the next month and a half but idk....

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 6:11 pm
Can you work outside to reduce exposure?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 10:29 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Can you work outside to reduce exposure?

I observed a session with him today over zoom. He is mostly nonverbal and has a diagnosis of autism. He also flees a lot. I'd be nervous to take responsibility to work outside with him in case he runs and something happens cv"s.

morahmommy

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 10:34 pm
I believe if you get a doctors note saying you are high risk and need to continue with tele health rather than go into people’s homes, legally, that would have to be honored. You should realize, though, that they may decide that this particular child is not a good candidate for tele health and give the case to someone else.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 10:39 pm
morahmommy wrote:
I believe if you get a doctors note saying you are high risk and need to continue with tele health rather than go into people’s homes, legally, that would have to be honored. You should realize, though, that they may decide that this particular child is not a good candidate for tele health and give the case to someone else.

I really dont mean to shoot everyones ideas down, Im sorry if I come across that way!!

I spoke to my OB last week about her opinion on going back to work in peoples houses and I dont really think she understood my question bc she said I cant file for disability (I didnt even know that was a thing) and the only thing they could do is write me a note...im just scared to get my supervisor mad at me because 1) shes scary 2) she never ever gives me cases so the fact that shes giving me a 4 hour case 5x a week is great 3) I really need the hours for my licensing

has there been a link with corona and pregnancy? am I being neurotic?

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 12:26 am
They are now calling pregnancy a risk factor, however a lot of what they are saying is very inconsistent and who knows. If you go on disability, you are unable to work. Are you allowed to get extra time to complete your cfy for medical reasons? Otherwise you are between a rock and a hard place because you can't do that line of work but cannot afford to not work and complete your licensing requirements...

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 12:36 am
As a fellow health professional I feel your pain. But many other pregnant health professionals have been working this whole time. If your OB thinks it’s ok, with proper PPE then it should be fine.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 12:53 am
Isn't it better to take a case with so many hours in one home rather than expose yourself to many homes?

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 1:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I really dont mean to shoot everyones ideas down, Im sorry if I come across that way!!

I spoke to my OB last week about her opinion on going back to work in peoples houses and I dont really think she understood my question bc she said I cant file for disability (I didnt even know that was a thing) and the only thing they could do is write me a note...im just scared to get my supervisor mad at me because 1) shes scary 2) she never ever gives me cases so the fact that shes giving me a 4 hour case 5x a week is great 3) I really need the hours for my licensing

has there been a link with corona and pregnancy? am I being neurotic?

Idk about filing for disability, but just get a signed note that you are high risk.

Yes there has been a link. You are considered high risk. Would you rather harm your baby to get your hours?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 1:31 am
TMK, if you get a note for high risk, you may be told that you need to take disability.
Supervisor may be sympathetic or not or it may be out of her hands. She has a responsibility to provide optimal care for the patient and in-person may be better for the patient. I also don't know if one is billible by insurance and the other not.

I would consider reaching out to your licensing association and seeing if due to COVID, the time frame during which you need to complete your hours can be extended. They might be able to offer an extension. That might be your best bet.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 1:39 am
You could switch jobs midway through your CF. I've known plenty of people who did because they were in unethical situations or had terrible supervisors. Call ASHA and ask for specific guidance about how to do it. There are lots of teletherapy places hiring right now. But, I wouldn't leave your current position until you have something in writing from the new place. It's a tough job market overall right now.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:24 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
You could switch jobs midway through your CF. I've known plenty of people who did because they were in unethical situations or had terrible supervisors. Call ASHA and ask for specific guidance about how to do it. There are lots of teletherapy places hiring right now. But, I wouldn't leave your current position until you have something in writing from the new place. It's a tough job market overall right now.

my supervisor is the worst....no supervision and she just signs off on our papers but I already signed that A1 form that they sent off to the state and I looked into different teletherapy places but havent had much luck or the pay is terrible....
I was sucked into this place bc two of my friends are also with me and we have over 80k in loans to pay back I just saw the potential money and got excited. I assume from your post that youre an SLP. are you working now? do you think majority of my CF will be teletherapy?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:25 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
As a fellow health professional I feel your pain. But many other pregnant health professionals have been working this whole time. If your OB thinks it’s ok, with proper PPE then it should be fine.

my doctor basically told me that. she cant really give me advice b/c shes been working this whole time.
what constitutes sufficient PPE gear?
do you think its unethical for me to ask the parents if anyone in their home has been exposed to COVID? im just scared they'll lie. also I spoke to the current therapist of this new case and he told me that the mom is really not involved and just wants a babysitter basically...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:26 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Isn't it better to take a case with so many hours in one home rather than expose yourself to many homes?

didnt think of it like that! but thats only if my other clients also agree to stick to teletherapy...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics