Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Rhode island

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 7:08 pm
what are some exciting stuff to in rhode island with older children

doctorima

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 7:20 pm
Block Island is lots of fun in the summer. In Newport you have the mansions and Touro synagogue. Lighthouses. Providence will have standard fun stuff that every city has - bowling, mini golf, probably an indoor trampoline place. If you're driving I-95 to get there, then you must stop at the indoor ropes course in New Haven called It (weird name, I know). But check to see what's open this summer and what restrictions may apply.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 8:09 pm
Railway tours in Newport is beautiful and great for older kids.
Some sort of sailboat/cruise tour excursion could be fun

raich

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 8:16 pm
Biking along the coast is absolutely stunning. The mansions are interesting, especially with the headphone "tour guide" option. There's also whale watching.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 8:57 pm
I live in Rhode Island.
Depends what you and your kids like to do! How old are your kids?
Right now the only mansions that are open are the breakers and the Elms. The elms has the servant life tour- that’s fun.
Coggeshall farm museum in Bristol
Take the ferry from providence to Newport
Beaver tail state park in Jamestown- walk on the bluffs
Lots of easy and scenic hiking in Rhode Island— the Audubon society of Rhode Island maintains about 15 nature preserves with hikes.
Biking along the east bay bike path
North of providence is the southwick zoo—- really good zoo if you and your kids like zoos. Also about 25 minutes NW of Providence is purgatory chasm, a cool rock formation for climbing/hiking.

Please note that BH our COVID rates have been going down. People tend to be careful about masks and social distancing. Wearing a mask in stores, etc... is required and enforced.

Do your kids like to read? If so, definitely stop at the book barn in Niantic CT on the way up from NY.
I’ll let you know if I think of anything else......

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 9:02 pm
doctorima wrote:
Block Island is lots of fun in the summer. In Newport you have the mansions and Touro synagogue. Lighthouses. Providence will have standard fun stuff that every city has - bowling, mini golf, probably an indoor trampoline place. If you're driving I-95 to get there, then you must stop at the indoor ropes course in New Haven called It (weird name, I know). But check to see what's open this summer and what restrictions may apply.

We went last summer and did these things. We enjoyed the tours and views from the mansions more than I thought we would. It was one of the best vacations we took last year, beating Martha's Vineyard. We stopped in Plymouth on the way.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 9:35 pm
all of the above, just want to add the cliffwalk (in newport) beauful hike along the cliffs/water. Also in Providence we rented bikes and biked in a beautiful park (woods/water views)

rikkabella

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 10:44 pm
Looking to travel in August.
Is there regular minyan at this point 3x daily? Open to visitors? Men's Mikvah?
Appreciate the help!

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 4:35 pm
rikkabella wrote:
Looking to travel in August.
Is there regular minyan at this point 3x daily? Open to visitors? Men's Mikvah?
Appreciate the help!

Yes, there are regular minyanim in providence 3x a day, open to visitors. Masks required. Mikva for men not open at this time.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 1:02 am
Do you know if there are any frum kids day camps in Providence?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:46 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Do you know if there are any frum kids day camps in Providence?

Yes- Torah Day Camp at the day school. Ends the day after tisha bav. May or may not have room, because of RI COVID guidelines

For a few weeks in August, Chabad of west bay runs a camp. Not in Providence, but about a 20 minute drive.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 9:18 am
If I was looking for an Airbnb which area would I look at to be within a 15 min drive to the shul? And how far is that from the mansions and other attractions ?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 12:19 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
If I was looking for an Airbnb which area would I look at to be within a 15 min drive to the shul? And how far is that from the mansions and other attractions ?

Providence or Pawtucket. How many bedrooms are you looking for?

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 12:26 pm
Thanks! Do you know how far providence is from Wakefield?
I’m looking to rent an airbnb and I would love to be in an area with frum people. Which area would you recommend?
Thanks so much

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 12:29 pm
35 minutes maybe? Don’t know exactly. This is where google maps is your friend! Very Happy

if you want to stay in an area with frum people....the east side of providence, or the Oak Hill neighborhood of Pawtucket. But this is not Brooklyn or lakewood with tons of frum families on each block.....

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 12:55 pm
I

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 4:52 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
35 minutes maybe? Don’t know exactly. This is where google maps is your friend! Very Happy

if you want to stay in an area with frum people....the east side of providence, or the Oak Hill neighborhood of Pawtucket. But this is not Brooklyn or lakewood with tons of frum families on each block.....

I'm having no luck with finding an airbnb in/near Providence. Do you have any ideas for me? Or would you know any family who would rent their home for a few weeks?
Thanks so much - sorry to keep bothering you!

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 1:36 am
what is the closest to Newport, RI to get Glatt Kosher Fleishig takeout food?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 2:40 am
Zaydes market in Sharon MA has a v lery small takeout counter.

Ahava catering in Providence can do meals for you: :Ahavacaterig@gmail.com / 201-397-0817
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics