Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Bare basics vegetarian Shabbos menu
1  2  Next

Petra

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 11:19 am
Requesting ideas that don't have 20 steps and 20 ingredients, half of which are hard to find.

Busy week and don't feel like fleishig pots/pans, dinnerware, etc.

banana123

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 11:25 am
Challah, chumus, and techina, olive spread or matbucha if you want.

Vegetable soup (blend if you want, add lentils if you want) for Friday night, with aforementioned challah and dips.

For Shabbat day, tuna patties or tuna salad, egg salad, fresh lettuce/ Israeli salad, mashed potatoes (to fill you up).

If you don't want mashed potatoes, you can make macaroni and cheese, or lasagna, and serve that too. Or just pasta with olive oil and spices - that works too. Or tuna pasta salad, or a parve sweet kugel. You can make majadra, that's easy to do. Or lentil patties. When we do this we either do mashed potatoes or we make lasagna - lasagna is kind of expensive but it is so easy, yummy, and filling that sometimes it's worth it.

Buy a cake or cookies for desserts.

Seuda shlishit use leftovers from the other meals.

Last edited by banana123 on Thu, Jul 09 2020, 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Debbie

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 11:25 am
Petra wrote:
Requesting ideas that don't have 20 steps and 20 ingredients, half of which are hard to find.

Busy week and don't feel like fleishig pots/pans, dinnerware, etc.

Just to confirm do you mean proper vegetarian, no meat or fish or pescatarian, fish but no meat?
If someone eats fish they are a pescatarian not a vegetarian, a vegan eats no animal products or by products.

A nice vegetable soup, I know it's summer but I just love soup; a chulent using vegetarian sausages instead of meat, shepherd's pie with soya or other alternative to minced beef, vegetable risotto, stuffed peppers.
If you search on 'vegetarian Shabbos meals' there are a few options.

Debbie

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 12:00 pm
www.wearesovegan.com has a really delicious sausage stew recipe as well as other recipes that might be useful.

Last edited by Debbie on Thu, Jul 09 2020, 12:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 12:05 pm
Brown rice and lentils; I use Daiya faux cheese to make it vegan. Add a green salad, and you're done.

https://www.fromachefskitchen......bake/

Easy, very filling minestrone for Friday night

https://www.dinneratthezoo.com.....soup/

Petra

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 12:15 pm
Debbie wrote:
Just to confirm do you mean proper vegetarian, no meat or fish or pescatarian, fish but no meat?

We are not vegetarians but we do not eat a lot of meat anyway.

We do eat plenty of cheese and if the fish is not fishy, then I will prepare it, though generally, most of my family are not fish fans.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Keep em coming.

Debbie

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 12:23 pm
Petra wrote:

We do eat plenty of cheese and if the fish is not fishy, then I will prepare it, though generally, most of my family are not fish fans.

Keep em coming.

Sounds similar to my house except that we are big fish eaters, aside from my vegan daughter.
I love cheese but my waistline doesn't approve!

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 2:25 pm
For Shavuot I made a really good quinoa and tuna casserole. I actually don't remember the recipe, but I found it on line. I know it started off with sauteeing onions, garlic, mushrooms and a bunch more vegetables. Then I added a couple of tins of tuna and let it all cook together for a few minutes. The seasoning was very simple. It might just have been salt to taste.then mixed it with a couple of cups of cooked quinoa and baked it. The recipe was parev but I added a layer of grated cheese.

It was far more moist than a similar recipe with pasta, because the quinoa fondant absorb all the liquid, and it tasted really great. It would probably be just as good, though with a different flavour, if you wanted to leave out the tuna.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 3:26 pm
Buy long, skinny, sweet potatoes.

Roast them whole until the juices are dripping.

Leave them to cool in their juices. The juice will get caramel sticky.

Serve as is. Children and adults love the sweetness, and the shape makes it like a long finger food. You won't even notice the skin.

banana123

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 3:28 pm
Rappel wrote:
Buy long, skinny, sweet potatoes.

Roast them whole until the juices are dripping.

Leave them to cool in their juices. The juice will get caramel sticky.

Serve as is. Children and adults love the sweetness, and the shape makes it like a long finger food. You won't even notice the skin.

Reminds me of this...

Wrap an eggplant in tin foil. Turn on the stove and put the eggplant over the flame. Turn it over when it starts getting soft so that it can cook on both sides. When it is soft and smushy, it's ready. Turn off the flame.

Let the eggplant cool, cut it down the middle, and pour techina on top. Serve. (But you don't eat the skin, you scoop out the inside.)

Tzedek Tirdof

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 3:40 pm
Petra wrote:

Keep em coming.

Next time it might be more helpful if you had said “Parve” vs “vegetarian” as the latter means no fish, so no Tuna.

Pedantic about this because: It is awkward for a vegetarian to go to someone’s house and then turn down a fish dish that the hostess has made especially.

Debbie

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 3:43 pm
Tzedek Tirdof wrote:
Next time it would be might be more helpful if you had said “Parve” vs “vegetarian” as the latter means no fish, so no Tuna.

Pedantic about this because: It is awkward for a vegetarian to go to someone’s house and then turn down a fish dish that the hostess has made especially.

There's a fair bit of misunderstanding about this; a lot of people think that if someone eats fish but not meat they are vegetarian, they are in fact pescatarian.
My daughter was vegetarian a few years ago and her 'vegetarian ' meal on a flight was a fish meal,fortunately she had snacks with her; she's vegan now and at least it's understood-no fish!

Last edited by Debbie on Thu, Jul 09 2020, 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tzedek Tirdof

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 3:45 pm
Debbie wrote:
There's a fair bit of misunderstanding about this; a lot of people think that if someone eats fish but not meat they are vegetarian, they are in fact pescatarian.

Yes, and that is why I felt it important to mention even though the OP herself eats fish.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 6:03 pm
Do a sheet pan dinner for Friday night containing baby potatoes, green beans and salmon. Takes 5 minutes to prepare and 45 minutes to bake (start with baking the potatoes, then during the last 18 minutes add the salmon and green beans).

For shabbos day, put up a vegetarian cholent. Just layer in the crockpot, plug in, turn to low, and leave it to cook on its own all shabbos.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:17 pm
Split and eggplant and roast it. Top with techina, chickpeas and lemon and honey. DELISH

Make a green rice. Steam basmati rice with oil, tumeric, dill, whole garlic and Lima beans (or cut string beans)

Roast s piece of salmon simply with lemon and salt pepper.

Make homemade chummus. Top it with whatever you like

Petra

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:17 pm
Tzedek Tirdof wrote:
Next time it might be more helpful if you had said “Parve” vs “vegetarian” as the latter means no fish, so no Tuna.

At the risk of derailing my own thread, Laugh, I purposefully avoided the term vegan and wouldn't use the term parve because we like a lot of cheese and thus milchig recipes are fair game for me. And didn't say pescatarian because, like I said, not big fish fans but sometimes I'll make it.

I take your point though and understand that many people mistakenly think of the terms interchangeably yet a vegetarian will not eat fish and pescatarian will eat fish. Many think vegetarians will eat fish.

My family is omnivorous.

Petra

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:19 pm
Eggplant recipe clarification: what is expected for families when this is served. Do people just get a big spoon and scoop the eggplant/tehini mixture onto their plates?

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:24 pm
Petra wrote:
Eggplant recipe clarification: what is expected for families when this is served. Do people just get a big spoon and scoop the eggplant/tehini mixture onto their plates?

I give half an eggplant per person. I make medium sized eggplants. Maybe diff if you use large ones.

Rappel

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 12:23 am
Petra wrote:

Yes.

Tzedek Tirdof

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 5:33 am
Petra wrote:
At the risk of derailing my own thread, Laugh, I purposefully avoided the term vegan and wouldn't use the term parve because we like a lot of cheese and thus milchig recipes are fair game for me. And didn't say pescatarian because, like I said, not big fish fans but sometimes I'll make it.

I take your point though and understand that many people mistakenly think of the terms interchangeably yet a vegetarian will not eat fish and pescatarian will eat fish. Many think vegetarians will eat fish.

My family is omnivorous.

Yes for me the only issue is that someone who might want vegetarian Shabbos meals may open this thread and then see that some of the meals are unsuitable as they have salmon and tuna in them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus