Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Would u take away his paci?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 6:54 pm
My 7 month old is very not attached. Im tempted to just be done with it bec I know the struggle of trying to take it away later on.. however, hes at an easy stage now and bh hes generally happy. I know there are harder stages to come when im going to regret him not having it. Some of my other kids didnt have a paci or thumb and they were my hardest kids...

Stars

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 6:58 pm
Yes I would, but I would try to replace it with another comfort item.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 6:58 pm
When I saw that my baby didnt need it I just took it away. He hardly uses it anyway so it just drags around. He only has it in the crib

RuralIma

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:00 pm
If he's done with it, I would just take it away while it's easy. I can't remember how we did it but our son stopped using one before his 1st birthday and it wasn't a big deal.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:11 pm
No I would still push it... I know I’m the odd voice out.
I let my kids have pacis until they’re about 5 and it’s a lifesaver.

Their teeth are fine....

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:19 pm
I wouldn't take it away. Many times it's more important in the toddler stage.

lucky14

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:36 pm
I was in a similar situation and did not take it away.
(I do try to limit it to just sleep time though).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:43 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

This is exactly what im concerned about

RuralIma

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:46 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

If it's gone for good there's nothing for a toddler to go back to or ask for. How could it be important for them all of a sudden if it wasn't there for such a long period of time?

*I don't know how this is coming across but I apologize if it seems rude. That's not my intent. Genuinely curious

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:49 pm
My kids just sort of gave it up when they wanted to, one at about 6 months, she replaced it with her thumb and one at about 9 months. My baby still has one and she's almost two. Take the cue from them. Can they sleep without it? Do they cry for it? Or do they just pop it in when they see it, but wouldn't notice if it's not there?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:49 pm
RuralIma wrote:
If it's gone for good there's nothing for a toddler to go back to or ask for. How could it be important for them all of a sudden if it wasn't there for such a long period of time?

*I don't know how this is coming across but I apologize if it seems rude. That's not my intent. Genuinely curious

Sometimes a toddler will be tantruming or crying none stop because of something they cant verbalize.. its not to "shut them up" more to calm them down so they are more managable. It can be very hard when they dont have anything to help soothe them..

RuralIma

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sometimes a toddler will be tantruming or crying none stop because of something they cant verbalize.. its not to "shut them up" more to calm them down so they are more managable. It can be very hard when they dont have anything to help soothe them..

Interesting. Thank you. Smile

tweety1

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:01 pm
The only time I took away a pacifier is when dc had a major speech delay and wasn't gonna get approved for therapy if I didnt take it away. Otherwise I never take away.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:43 pm
I was thinking the same as you when my child was younger. I didn’t take it away because I was pregnant again when he was an infant and needed the backup. Now he’s 2 and I’m so happy he still has it. sometimes he just needs it to soothe himself. Sometimes he’ll get into a funk and cry hysterically and that’s literally the only way to “reset “ him. When he’s older and understands more I’ll work on taking it away.

silverlining3

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 5:07 am
I don't think I would take it away.
2 kids stopped taking Paci at around 5 6 months and both replaced it with thumb. My 2 yr old toddler didn't do that, has Paci, and I'm thrilled. It's easier to wean a Paci than a thumb. Maybe don't encourage/push it, just leave it to baby, to take it when he-she feels.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 6:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That's why I nurse my toddlers. I don't do pacifiers anymore, it was WAY easier to wean my kids than to get rid of the pacifier on the kid I tried it on!

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 8:17 am
Paci by me is a must. Both wheaned themself at 4-5yo. Bh for this. It's important for them to have something to self sooth. I also had int till 4years. No damage there Very Happy I hope. As my friend says she would put flowers on the person's grave who invented this. Best invention ever!

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 11:55 am
Personally I wouldn't. My son had his til almost 3. We had no issues weaning because he was ready. I just think it is so good for comfort/soothing, especially a child sent to daycare at a young age.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 12:03 pm
I can't say if you should or shouldn't, because I don't know your child like you do.

I can say that if you give the paci, only give it in the crib.

I know a lot of toddlers who have had speech delay and social issues because they had the paci in 24/7, and tried to talk around it. Nobody could understand them, and they couldn't pronounce words properly until they were weaned off. At least at night they aren't acquiring language skills.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics