Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Paper or real dishes for shabbos?
1  2  Next

RedVines

Post Fri, Sep 16 2005, 1:15 pm
I know this has been brought up before but I have too much stuff on the stove to look it up! I am struggling with this because I want my shabbos table to be beautiful but this week I am haveing 7 people...Once I use up all my dishes I will barely have any to serve and I hate to wash during the meal...So, If I got really pretty plastic plates and Everything else was real I.e the serving, utensil, glasses...does anyone think that is less "bad"

Tovah

Post Fri, Sep 16 2005, 1:59 pm
I personaly use real hardly ever use paper, just the first 2 months when I had my second, but people do it all the time. I think it's fine this way u get to enjoy the meal too.

RedVines

Post Fri, Sep 16 2005, 2:00 pm
Thanks!

queen

Post Fri, Sep 16 2005, 3:49 pm
we're married almost a year and still haven't picked up our shabbos dishes yet from the store. (they are paid for, but the store is out of the way....)

and my husband is very easy going and doesn't mind our using fancy paper plates.

it wont last forever, but I'm enjoying the ease of serving and desposing!!!!!!
we do however have fancy shabbos silver-wear which I use, and shabbos glasses.

so between all of the above, fancy napkins and silver on the table- looks fine.

go for it and enjoy the rest for this shabbos!!!!

supermom

Post Sat, Sep 17 2005, 2:29 pm
I would just use fancy plates, cups, silverware, napkins everything plastic this way I have nothing to wash besides pots and I can relax after. done it a lot of times and people really complimented on how great of an idea it is.

technic

Post Sat, Sep 17 2005, 4:46 pm
I LOVE how americans say silverware, even if its plastic!!! (we say cutlery, so u can have silver cutlery or plastic cutlery...)

nicole81

Post Sat, Sep 17 2005, 8:49 pm
if you want it to look nice but don't want to bother with the cleanup, you can get the hard plastic plates and cups.

happymom

Post Sat, Sep 17 2005, 9:42 pm
mommyoftwo its fine. many people do it and even if they didnt... I dont see anything wrong with it.

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Sep 17 2005, 10:27 pm
Plastic wins! The table looks nice with glowing candlesticks, beautiful Challah board and fancy velvet Challah cover, silver bechers, napkin holder, bentcher holder. I use china serving platters, crystal salad bowls.

Everything else is plastic. Nobody minds. Maybe I don't have such choshuve guests? Confused

Sometimes I'll use the clear (not hard) plastic bowls and plates, more expensive, but nicer than regular plastic. Sometimes people have a hard time finding their plate though! Very Happy

It takes me about an hour to clear off the table, and find/make space in the fridge to put everything away. If I had to wash all the dishes,cutlery it would be another hour. During the summer that's too exhausting.(As it is I'm not finished till 1:00 am the longer Shabbosim)

ASinger

Post Sat, Sep 17 2005, 11:25 pm
An added point for tthos who want the easier way but also want their shabbos table to look beautiful..
You can get some relaly fancy hard plastic dishes and silverware that look like the real stuff (only once u touch them or come close enough... u realize the diff.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happymom

Post Sat, Sep 17 2005, 11:27 pm
I sometimes get nice paper plates and put a clear one on top as the fish plate. It look really pretty.

raizy

Post Sat, Sep 17 2005, 11:36 pm
I say plastic . my family always used to use real dishes even bye pashack seder then one day we all girls kinda snapped (our hands that is) my sister who was very wise asked everyone politely are u gonna wash the dishes after the seder and I mean tons of dishes 30 pple minuim we all said no . so she said then in that case I am serving in plastic. since that day it has been a non issue in our house . plastic for big simchas. the table is clean afterward in 5 mintes.

We still use real cups bechers etc for everything else their plastic.

supermom

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 3:27 am
technic wrote:
I LOVE how americans say silverware, even if its plastic!!! (we say cutlery, so u can have silver cutlery or plastic cutlery...)

LOL I didn't even realize that I wrote that.

adorable

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 10:40 am
if you insist on serving on real, but are afraid of the washing, try filling up your sink, with hot hot water and soap and cover it.
after every course just slide it in the sink. that should cut the washing
I only use real, evern if there are 10 of us around the table, and doing it this way, is mush easier

happymom

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 11:02 am
adorable it stays hot for such a long time? You mean put the hot water in b4 shabbos right?

supermom

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 3:14 pm
do you boil the water before shabbos? how does it stay hot for so many hours? or is it somewhat warm

adorable

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 3:41 pm
I dont boil the water, b4 shabbos I fill it up with the hottest water from the sink. it remains cover and by the time I do the dishes, it is luke warm.
this is alos greta for teh winter, who likes washing dishes in freeeeeeeeeeezing water? Scratching Head

Rivka

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 5:31 pm
I would use plastic if I had a good few people round, simply because I don';t have a dishwasher and I have only one little sink and not much room to pu the drying dishes. So if we have more than 3 guests I would use plastic.
But cups I would use normal.
I have seen really nice plastic stuff that looks really real and it seems a shame to throw those away...but I went to a sheva brochos and they used those, I thought it was a great idea.

shanie5

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 10:44 pm
I heard a rebbitzen say that paper enhances her shabbos- cuz the cleanup is so much easier!!!

curly

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 10:52 pm
It depends sometimes I serve with real plates etc. and sometimes I just use plastic. For example for shuvous we had lots of guests so I went and bought those plates and bowls that are plastic but look so real. It was great and very easy to clean up after.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note