Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Parents/ in laws over involved in marriage

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 11:24 pm
Do any of you have parents or in laws who are over involved in your marriage? What do you do about it?

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 11:27 pm
I don't, but the best advice is to move away and not be financially dependent. Take time to invest in each other. The marriage comes first.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 11:32 pm
My marriage start out like this. We are both oldests with very hands on parents. We learned to classify everyone's orders as opinions and then sit down and decide what we wanted to do. If they got upset, we just replied, everyone is entitled to state their opinion and then we decide what to do. It wasn't easy the first time (or second) but they got used to it pretty quickly.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 1:26 am
Yes, we have this problem and it causes many shalom Bayis problems unfortunately.dh believes they should be so involved, I feel they need to take 5 giant steps back to their side of the boundary line. We struggle

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 1:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do any of you have parents or in laws who are over involved in your marriage? What do you do about it?

Both my mother and mil are very contolling and have boundry issues.

I don't let them interfere. We make our owb decisions. I dont let myself be controlled. We have a beautiful happy peaceful marriage

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 8:30 am
My Mil loves to give her opinions about most decisions which should only be up to us and not only that, she also tries to persuade us that hers is the right way. She can get very insulted and very upset if we don't agree with her. I tend to just nod my head but then I do whatever I want (usually)

The problem starts when she realises that we did things differently and then wonders why as we just about agreed that her opinion is correct!

So awkward

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 9:04 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I don't, but the best advice is to move away and not be financially dependent. Take time to invest in each other. The marriage comes first.

This.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics