Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Forgetting to light shabbos candles

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 11 2020, 11:17 pm
I don't know how it happened, but it did! I completely forgot to light! I know I need to add another candle from now on. Curious as to the reason why and is it terrible that I forgot?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 12:28 am
Ask your Rav. Not everyone agrees on adding one, but once you do you may not be able to stop adding one.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 2:38 am
I went on vacation once, to a country in a different time zone. I was in the computer room in the lobby, and there was no window to the outside. I didn't realize it had gotten dark so fast, and I was an hour late to light!

I added a candle after that. Every time I light that candle, I remember how important it is to be on time.

If someone said they would give you one million dollars if you met them at their office at 6pm, I bet you wouldn't forget to make that appointment! You'd probably even show up early.

Meeting with Hashem on Shabbos is more important than any earthly reward. If you keep that in mind, and keep lighting that extra candle, you'll never make that mistake again.

The extra candle isn't to make you feel guilty. It's to bring you closer to Hashem, and to show Hashem how much you love the mitzva.

#Happymom

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 3:56 am
I did it also...
Have never forgotton since then.
Pls ask a rav because we were told that we must do something to make the mitzva more special, ie, extra candle, bigger candles or oil instead of candles.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 6:38 am
I forgot once and was told to give a large sum to tzidakah....
The rabbi told me to decide with my husband what was “large”...meaning it would be a different amount for another person.

Definitely ask a rav
You may be told to do something else.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note