Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Cloth masks may increase risk of infection??

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 8:09 pm
This is likely old news but I somehow missed it.

This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection.
From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....0971/

So it’s either n95 masks or nothing, right? The surgical masks are easier, cheaper and they’re socially appropriate but if they’re making things worse then what is the point.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 8:41 pm
What this study says is that there was a relatively higher rate of respiratory infections among those who wore cloth masks as opposed to those who wore surgical masks. Your “socially appropriate” surgical mask is just fine. Cloth masks weren’t being compared to N95 masks, and they were also not being compared to no masks at all.

RuralIma

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 9:29 pm
This study was for healthcare workers, not Joe Schmoe at the grocery store. Even without the study it would be logical to assume that a homemade mask isn't going to cut it in a setting with actual patients. Plus a N95 mask worn improperly isn't going to help anyone and is unnecessary unless you're in a hospital setting.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 10:17 pm
Cloth masks vary in effectiveness depending on material used. The best ones are made from quilting cotton or 600 thread bed linen and have two layers of cloth with a pouch to put in a disposal filter. Even a coffee filter helps in terms of filtering.

A surgical mask is better than a cloth mask - a KN95 or N95 is better than a surgical mask.

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Jul 12 2020, 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 10:22 pm
Ty. The n95 masks I got are too big for me so I haven’t been going anywhere

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 10:25 pm
I sewed mine with 3 layers of fabric and the middle layer is nylon from panty hose. I spray them with bleach before washing them.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 10:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ty. The n95 masks I got are too big for me so I haven’t been going anywhere

The KN95 masks are as effective as the N95 masks and don't seem to have the same sizing problems. I have a relatively small face and mine fits fine. They also now have KN95 masks with the headband style which is supposed to have a tighter fit.

Surgical masks can be adjusted to fit more tightly at the sides if that is a problem.

Face shields and a good cloth mask with a filter would provide a lot of protection.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 10:31 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I sewed mine with 3 layers of fabric and the middle layer is nylon from panty hose. I spray them with bleach before washing them.

Since you are a sewer, I read that a layer of silk chiffon works great as well as flannel as a layer - probably the one next to your face. Evidently these fabrics have small bumps that catch smaller particles than other cloth material.

The least effective materials are stretchy type of t-shirt material - if you can see through the material, it is less effective than a denser cloth that you can't see the light through.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 1:06 am
Is there an advantage to silk? I have some and we need masks.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 1:14 am
Iymnok wrote:
Is there an advantage to silk? I have some and we need masks.

It’s the combination of dense cotton layer with silk that provides the best materials for a cloth mask.

https://www.futurity.org/cotto.....6712/

Here’s an explanation

According to their results, one layer of a tightly woven cotton sheet, combined with two layers of polyester-based chiffon—a sheer fabric often used in evening gowns—filtered out the most aerosol particles (80% to 99%, depending on particle size). Substituting the chiffon with natural silk or a polyester-cotton flannel, or simply using a cotton quilt with cotton-polyester batting, produced similar results.

Though the study does not attempt to replicate real-world conditions, the findings are a useful guide. The researchers point out that tightly woven fabrics, such as cotton, can act as a mechanical barrier to particles, whereas fabrics that hold a static charge, like certain types of chiffon and natural silk, can serve as an electrostatic barrier. The electrostatic effect serves to suck in and hold the tiniest particles, which might otherwise slip through holes in the cotton. This is key to how N95 masks are constructed

Here are a lot of articles on best materials for cloth masks.

silk chiffon face mask Google

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 5:27 am
I’m asking about comfort and breathability. IMO it’s fine as long as you’re covered. I’m walking the streets and shopping, I’m not a healthcare worker.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 9:48 am
Amarante wrote:
Since you are a sewer, I read that a layer of silk chiffon works great as well as flannel as a layer - probably the one next to your face. Evidently these fabrics have small bumps that catch smaller particles than other cloth material.

The least effective materials are stretchy type of t-shirt material - if you can see through the material, it is less effective than a denser cloth that you can't see the light through.

Thanks for the tip!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 1:07 pm
Amarante wrote:
The KN95 masks are as effective as the N95 masks and don't seem to have the same sizing problems. I have a relatively small face and mine fits fine. They also now have KN95 masks with the headband style which is supposed to have a tighter fit.

Surgical masks can be adjusted to fit more tightly at the sides if that is a problem.

Face shields and a good cloth mask with a filter would provide a lot of protection.
I just ordered a shield from Amazon. I haven’t noticed anyone wearing them though. But like I said, I haven’t been out.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 1:28 pm
You can use swifter under the masks

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 1:33 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
You can use swifter under the masks

Also coffee filters.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 1:53 pm
Btw, the KN95 does NOT provide the same protection as the N95.
I have an immediate family member who performed hundreds of fit testing for N95 across multiple locations during this outbreak as part of their job. They were not able to get even one passing result using the KN95 when testing.
There is a reason health care workers are using the N95 on the COVID wards.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics