Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Help me overcome writing resistance

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 9:32 pm
About six months ago I had an idea for a book. (Non-fiction.) I started researching it and wrote a full outline. That was before corona and I had a very busy schedule and still fit in time for writing. Now with corona I’m only working part time and I have plenty of time, but I have so much resistance! Every time I try to write I feel so much anxiety. I wouldn’t call it writers block back know exactly what I plan to write, I just keep getting stuck over my words and I can’t move forward.

I submitted the first few chapters to a magazine, thinking if I published as a serial it would give me a push to produce a chapter every week. It’s a small magazine and I’d written for them before so I thought for sure he’d be interested. Well, he said it needed more personal examples ( which I agree with) and also that someone had already done something similar. So Obviously now I feel even more discouraged even though I don’t need to let the opinion of one editor stop me.

mamma llama

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 10:26 pm
The trick is to NOT sit down to write. I mean, don't just sit in front of a computer and say "Okay, I really have to continue this story..." because then you put yourself under too much pressure and it just won't flow. Wait until inspiration strikes and THEN sit and write.
That's what I do and it really works. I actually do my best writing between 2-4 AM! Very Happy

Also, do not get discouraged by one editor! Like you said, you've written to magazines before, so you know you can write well Wink

Hatzlacha with your book and I hope you post when you finish so we can all read it!

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 10:28 pm
mamma llama wrote:
The trick is to NOT sit down to write. I mean, don't just sit in front of a computer and say "Okay, I really have to continue this story..." because then you put yourself under too much pressure and it just won't flow. Wait until inspiration strikes and THEN sit and write.
That's what I do and it really works. I actually do my best writing between 2-4 AM! Very Happy

Also, do not get discouraged by one editor! Like you said, you've written to magazines before, so you know you can write well Wink

Hatzlacha with your book and I hope you post when you finish so we can all read it!

Totally agree with the bolded. It's so ready to get into your own head. The trick is to figure out how to get out of it
Something I've found helps me, is also putting on headphones and playing the same song over and over. Bc that creates a static/white noise in my head and it's easier to not think and psyched myself out.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 10:43 pm
Quote:
That's what I do and it really works. I actually do my best writing between 2-4 AM!

Thanks! Good advice! That’s probably why I made more progress when I was working full time and had NO time.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 10:57 pm
Another tip is to do "morning pages" - basically you write 3 pages of drivel every day, just to get into writing mode. Don't write your story, don't attempt to write anything useful, just aim to fill 3 pages. (I use 750words.com)

Later when inspiration strikes you'll be ready to catch it!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 4:58 pm
Update--still haven't made much progress.

I HAVE made progress in the research and organizing department but not in the actual writing! It's like, I know the ideas I'm trying to express but not how to get them across in an interesting and readable way.

I kept having an excuse to push it off--like there was the yomim tovim, then I had another project to finish. But now I really have NO excuse and it's so frustrating to sit home day after day not filling my time, feeling so unaccomplished.

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 5:16 pm
I was actually just thinking about this thread this morning

I recently heard a tip change your font to comic sans when you type because you won't look back and edit it it'll you tricks you're bringing into thinking it's not important or something

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 5:20 pm
https://twowritingteachers.org...../amp/

Link to article with testimonials

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 17 2020, 6:12 pm
singleagain wrote:
I was actually just thinking about this thread this morning

I recently heard a tip change your font to comic sans when you type because you won't look back and edit it it'll you tricks you're bringing into thinking it's not important or something

That’s cool.

I’ll try it, thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club