Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Cuomo announcement re: school reopening

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 9:48 pm
If anyone saw Cuomo’s guidelines for school reopening (schools can reopen if average daily infection is below 5%), what exactly is the daily infection rate? Is that the rate of daily positive tests? It seems unclear

Motherhood

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 9:52 pm
Seems so. They take about 50,000 tests a day, and only 1% is coming back positive right now. If it stays this way, we should be able to open.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 9:56 pm
I just don’t get it, if they test more people per day they will keep getting very low rates of positive cases, and the opposite is true as well. The percentages are really inaccurate unless every single New Yorker is tested.

Motherhood

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 9:59 pm
Their goal is to test at least 50,000 per day. If they continue the same amount, the numbers will (hopefully) stay the same. My question is: how long will they still test people?

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 10:03 pm
Haven't the schools been open for weeks already, irrelevant of the law?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 10:10 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

No. Our kids' school closed early March and never reopened. They follow the guidelines. We need to pray for good guidelines so the kids don't suffer.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Jul 13 2020, 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 10:20 pm
Also, what exactly does it mean that schools will reopen. Full time? Or the bridged remote/school plan deblasio discussed

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 10:24 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Also, what exactly does it mean that schools will reopen. Full time? Or the bridged remote/school plan deblasio discussed

It is my understanding that schools need to present opening plans to the governor, and then they will go from there. Hopefully there will be full, in person school, in a way that works for everyone. I don’t understand how having kids home will work for parents who need to work and already not making ends meet. I mean, even for parents who are it’s going to be hard, but even more so for those who are suffering financially and will now have the added burden of child care costs because they NEED to work.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 11:07 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Nope. Daycare.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 12:38 am
ra_mom wrote:
No. Our kids' school closed early March and never reopened. They follow the guidelines. We need to pray for good guidelines so the kids don't suffer.

Daycamps haven't reopened?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 1:22 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Daycamps haven't reopened?

Some have, some haven’t. Some kids don’t want to go to camp because of the rules, which camps may or may not be following. Others can’t go to camp because many camps raised their prices, and families can’t afford to send one kid, let alone multiple kids. Still others can’t go to camp because many camps wanted full payment, whether or not your child ends up going the entire session. (That last one was my kids, by the way)

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:44 am
My point was if daycamps are open and folloing guidelines or not and so far there aren't any cases amongst the daycamps why cant school open?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 3:34 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
My point was if daycamps are open and folloing guidelines or not and so far there aren't any cases amongst the daycamps why cant school open?

It's very political. Day camp could be open, but school cannot. My child's school couldn't open for July because they're a Head Start Program and cannot classify as a daycamp. If they open, they are at risk of losing their head start grants! It's as if they (whoever makes the rules) thinks that the germs discriminate based on what a program calls themselves...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics