Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How much to serve?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 5:12 am
Hi Ladies,
I’m just curious to know how much portions of food to give me 18 month old. I’m a first time mother, so I’m not sure. Yesterday’s meals consisted of
Breakfast: scrambled egg, a piece of whole wheat toast, and some blueberries and 7 oz of milk
Snack: cheese stick & watermelon
Lunch tomato/avocado salad about 2 tablespoons, one small lachmagene ( meat pizza) on a mini Aaron’s pizza dough, and a kibbe ( meat torpedo) I’m Sephardic lol
Snack a few peanut butter crackers and about 2 tablespoons of ice cream
Dinner 1/4 piece of grilled salmon, cauliflower rice with chick peas, and a few steamed carrots
Snack watermelon and 3 tea biscuits

Am I over feeding? Underfeeding

He’s Bh 18 months and weights 22 pounds and is on the taller side. In weight, I’m very petite and small built. We have our apt next week for his 18 month

Just want to make sure he isn’t super underweihhtb

watergirl

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 5:18 am
At this age, your child can not easily be overfed. They typically stop eating when they are full. But why not run this by the pediatrician (and not us) to make sure?

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 5:28 am
I was going to say the same thing. They eat till they are full and then come back for more in their own when ready. I have two kids that eat big breakfasts, they want the eat as soon as they wake up. But then aren't interested in food the rest of the day.

Anyway my doctor says they make up for their calories on the week as a whole. Meaning they could have days when they eat nothing and then want to eat all day another day.

Stars

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 5:29 am
Your menus sound amazing. Echoing everyone else to say that your kid knows exactly how much nutrition he needs. Don't worry too much about it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 5:30 am
watergirl wrote:
At this age, your child can not easily be overfed. They typically stop eating when they are full. But why not run this by the pediatrician (and not us) to make sure?

I was just asking what kind of portions you give, that’s all

keym

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 5:32 am
At this age, toddlers will eat until their full.
My pediatrician tells me two things about this age.
1) they are becoming real people and asserting their independence. Give them a variety of food and nutrition. But what really matters is their weekly food intake, don't worry about their daily intake. If one day he eats cheese, the next day whole wheat pasta, then peas and carrots, and the last day chicken- don't worry so much.
2) this is the age to encourage healthy habits by teaching them to trust their body signals. As long as the food offered is mostly nutritiously sound, don't push them to eat more and don't stop them from taking seconds. Let them eat until they feel full, and let them learn to trust themselves.

Also at this age, the rapid weight gain slacks off. Don't be surprised if he starts gaining only a pound or two every 6 months as opposed to the first year of his life.

With that said, the meals sound healthy and full of variety. Wow.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 5:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was just asking what kind of portions you give, that’s all

I dont think most people are so exact with porion sizes with a toddler. Don't make yourself crazy with specific portion sizes.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 5:42 am
Kah! Sounds like your baby has a healthy appetitive and a wide palette! Doing great, mama!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 5:49 am
Thank you everyone for listening and guiding me! I know I probably sound so silly, I just don’t have that mother support like a lot of women do. I’ve had issues with my mom since I’m a kid, and we hardly speak and if we do, it’s nonsense. She isn’t the type of person I can go to for advice, not is involved in my life at all. so sometimes I have to resort to coming here to get advice from others just to keep me sane.
So I appreciate everyone’s opinions tremendously!

banana123

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:01 am
Just count your child as an additional adult when you cook, and put smallish portions on his plate (so that when it's "done" time, or if the plate spills, only a small amount goes to waste). Then offer refills until he rejects more food. When he says no more, he's done. Smile

And whatever you have left over can be saved for later.

Frumme

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:07 am
There are some guides online but they're suggestions, not the rule. For example, I've commonly seen suggested for 18-24 months to have 3 tbsp protein, 1/4 cup of carbs, and 2 tbsp each of fruit + veg at each meal.

But like I said, it's really just a guideline. They might be really interested in more toast one meal and not eat their PB or banana. The next they might want to eat a ton of broccoli but not the fish. Or they might devour everything in sight and want seconds!

Just be sure to offer and not rush them or force them. Don't drive yourself crazy. Your baby sounds very well fed! As long as his growth is consistent with his growth chart, don't worry about how many inches or pounds he's gained.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics