Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to get infant to go to sleep without the paci?
Previous  1  2

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 10:39 am
nchr wrote:
Before 9 months there is no emtional attachment to a pacifier. Even the American Association of Pediatrics advise one should stop pacifiers at 6 months of age.

This.
Use it for newborns - 6 months for soothing and reducing risk of SIDS while sleeping, and then take it away before they get attached.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 10:50 am
I always remove a pacifier from a content child. A baby or toddler only needs it when they are really upset or tired. Some children just need to suck. My children who didn’t have a pacifier are thumb suckers. The orthodontic costs exceed any cons.
Around three we offer a prize for putting it in the garbage. For a couple weeks they need help going to sleep, but a good bedtime routine handles that. Sometimes a book in bed as well.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 10:55 am
I disagree with the hysteria above, but I would wait till 4/5 months and sleep train without it.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 10:56 am
stillnewlywed wrote:
What does that have to do with breastfeeding? It's just that she's been home with her kids their whole life so they are not used to going away. It's a personality thing also.

It doesn't have to do with breastfeeding, it has to do with being adamant about no soothing other than mom. Her kids are screamers and she refuses to give them a paci.
It's probably more of a personality thing because many babies are content without a paci. But in this case when the baby screams all day and is so attached to the mother, I think it's important for the baby to have something else to calm them.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:46 am
Babies need to suck. They suck for comfort, they're created that way. I would much rather give a pacifier than have the baby find his thumb. Pacifiers can be thrown out and thumbs can't.
3 of my kids had no interest in pacifiers and I wish they did. It makes going to sleep and comforting them much easier. Also the sucking reflex needs to be outgrown not forced on them or it can affect them later on as sensory issues. They need that oral input, it's good for them.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 12:22 pm
banana123 wrote:
I did this with nursing, but I don't remember when I did it.

Think it will work with a 10 month old? I haven't slept in 3 nights... I can handle him staying in my bed as long as he isn't tugging at my nipple all night

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 12:27 pm
Yikes. I do feel very judged

I just want her to be Abel to fall asleep without depending on it since she can't reach out and grab it yet. I don't want to have to keep putting it in her mouth.

But I guess I will.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 12:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I just want her to be Abel to fall asleep without depending on it since she can't reach out and grab it yet. I don't want to have to keep putting it in her mouth.

But I guess I will.

Does she wake up and cry when the paci falls out of her mouth? A paci doesn't stay in the mouth all night, it usually falls out when the baby is in a deep sleep.

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 12:45 pm
You don’t have to keep replacing it if you don’t want to. Teach her somehow (whatever way you feel comfortable with) to fall asleep on her own without the paci, and then she won’t wake up for it in the middle of the night. No guilt necessary!

tothepoint

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 1:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

But I guess I will.

Please, OP. You are the mommy and you know what is best for yourself and your child. If putting in the paci keeps you up at night then by all means teach her to self-soothe so she can fall asleep without it.

I can't tell you any proven methods how to go about this, but checkout some sleep training blogs to get an idea
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics