Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Paint tutorials
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:19 pm
I don't know the first thing about paint, but it looks so relaxing, I'd love to learn some basic techniques, and be able to complete small, beautiful pieces. I don't have much free time. Most I can manage at a chunk is probably 20 min (at a stretch).
Can anyone recommend short YouTube tutorials, or paint nights, with clear step by step instructions for beginners?

Thank you!

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:22 pm
I have taken a class with someone who teaches using very professional colored pencils. You can pick them up for even 10 minutes but no paint to dry up or make a mess.

(If you're in Lakewood you can join our class!)

miami85

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:50 pm
Bob Ross videos are on youtube and Hulu and you can buy "Bob Ross kits"

There's a frum woman who does classes via Whatsapp.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:53 pm
So cool! I’d like to learn acrylic, watercolor and charcoal

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 9:33 pm
miami85 wrote:
Bob Ross videos are on youtube and Hulu and you can buy "Bob Ross kits"

There's a frum woman who does classes via Whatsapp.

Thanks!
What's app classes sounds interesting... how exactly does that work?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 9:37 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I have taken a class with someone who teaches using very professional colored pencils. You can pick them up for even 10 minutes but no paint to dry up or make a mess.

(If you're in Lakewood you can join our class!)

Aw thanks:) I'm not in Lakewood.

I'd also like to learn colored pencils, but it's not the same as paint... (correct me if I'm wrong... it seems like it is more exact drawing work, than fluid forgiving paint?)

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 9:46 pm
Quote:
I'd also like to learn colored pencils, but it's not the same as paint... (correct me if I'm wrong... it seems like it is more exact drawing work, than fluid forgiving paint?)
Can't tell you exactly, it's been many years since I painted.

Paint is not too practical if you only have a short time.

With our colored pencils we first draw the outlines in erasable pencil, and of course teacher critiques and helps us get it right. Most start with simple pictures like fruits & flowers where if you're off a bit it still looks nice. (Most progress to landscapes, portraits etc.)

Then you learn to blend colors. It does take longer than painting but very relaxing. We have some members who painted too but they're enjoying this. (We do sometimes cheat e.g. use paint in background or even black marker in a large area of black like a rabbi's suit Smile

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 9:53 pm
I followed a couple of tutorials by the Art Sherpa on YouTube but I actually found that I paint better and enjoy the process more by doing it on my own and using my own creativity.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 10:30 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Quote:
Can't tell you exactly, it's been many years since I painted.

Paint is not too practical if you only have a short time.

With our colored pencils we first draw the outlines in erasable pencil, and of course teacher critiques and helps us get it right. Most start with simple pictures like fruits & flowers where if you're off a bit it still looks nice. (Most progress to landscapes, portraits etc.)

Then you learn to blend colors. It does take longer than painting but very relaxing. We have some members who painted too but they're enjoying this. (We do sometimes cheat e.g. use paint in background or even black marker in a large area of black like a rabbi's suit Smile

Sounds fun Smile

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 10:32 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I followed a couple of tutorials by the Art Sherpa on YouTube but I actually found that I paint better and enjoy the process more by doing it on my own and using my own creativity.

Thank you! I'll look it up.
Doing it on my own does sound nice - but I'm scared ( perfectionist alert Very Happy) ! Any tips?

asmileaday

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 10:34 am
Watercolor is pretty quick. My kids did a lot of that over quarantine.
We just you tubed "watercolor for beginners". Lots of pretty sceneries and so easy. Hardly any drawing required.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 10:34 am
This person has tons of paintings online. She shoes you how to blend colors. We really enjoyed it.

Simple1

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 10:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you! I'll look it up.
Doing it on my own does sound nice - but I'm scared ( perfectionist alert Very Happy) ! Any tips?

Watch and/or follow tutorials on your own until you get the basics. Then you can graduate to doing it on your own. I do agree that doing it on your own releases more creativity but first it helps to have a solid foundation.

Last edited by Simple1 on Fri, Jul 17 2020, 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 10:38 am
Go to YouTube and look up "One Stroke Painting". It's so easy, and the results are very professional looking! https://onestroke.com/

You'll want to paint everything in your house after watching it. The woman who does the videos is a single mom with a bunch of kids, and she needed to figure out what she could do from home to make money. She went viral, and now has her own line of paints and kits, and makes a fortune. She's super sweet, too.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 10:41 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
This person has tons of paintings online. She shoes you how to blend colors. We really enjoyed it.

Sounds great! I don't see a link though..

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 11:22 am
asmileaday wrote:
Watercolor is pretty quick. My kids did a lot of that over quarantine.
We just you tubed "watercolor for beginners". Lots of pretty sceneries and so easy. Hardly any drawing required.

Thank you. It's interesting because watercolor is the most intimidating to me. I'm curious now though! Did you use watercolor paper? Or is there a cheaper alternative that I may have around the house already?

Wife1

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 11:45 am
Try painting with Jane. Very easy and fun

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 11:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sounds great! I don't see a link though..

Sorry
https://stepbysteppainting.net.....ting/

4thebooks

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 12:07 pm
I discovered paint pouring a couple of months ago and I have not stopped ever since! So relaxing so easy so many diff techniques to try. Go on YouTube you’ll find million tutorials!

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 12:09 pm
4thebooks wrote:
I discovered paint pouring a couple of months ago and I have not stopped ever since! So relaxing so easy so many diff techniques to try. Go on YouTube you’ll find million tutorials!

Funny question, what do you do with your paintings afterwards?

I watch the tutorials and it looks like so much fun, but I know I'm not the type to hang them up. It feels like a lot of money to spend just to throw out the finished product.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics