Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Dining room chairs - leather or performance fabric

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 12:05 am
Which is most durable for a house full of kids?

BA

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 1:45 am
I've debated the same thing! I hope someone has answers

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:04 am
I had my dining room chairs recovered in vinyl. I know, sounds tacky. But it's very attractive vinyl that looks like leather and I get so many compliments, everyone asks me for my decorator's number to recover their chairs with vinyl too - and they are so easy to keep clean.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:50 am
I got faux leather and my 1 year old bites them and ruins them. I'd imagine he'd do the same to real leather. Luckily they were cheap and I can buy covers for them when I want to make them look nicer. I'd only get fabric if you can get it covered with heavy duty clear plastic to protect it, or if you don't have any little kids who make messes.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 1:27 pm
It depends on the quality of the leather. A top grain solid piece is definitely easier to care for and will last yeeeeears. My parents have med/light grey leather chairs for 20+ years. Looks great.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 10:36 pm
Thanks for the responses. Has anyone had experience with both?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:14 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I got faux leather and my 1 year old bites them and ruins them. I'd imagine he'd do the same to real leather. Luckily they were cheap and I can buy covers for them when I want to make them look nicer. I'd only get fabric if you can get it covered with heavy duty clear plastic to protect it, or if you don't have any little kids who make messes.

Faux leather or bonded leather cannot be compared to real leather. Real leather is expensive, and cannot be easily ripped. It's animal hide and you cannot poke a whole in it unless you are using a sharp instrument. I have a leather couch for 25 years, and the leather is still perfect. A little rubbed out in the back since it was against the wall, but that's it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics