Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Application for tuition assistance asks for bank account #

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 10:46 am
I'm filling out a form for tuition aid and it's asking for my routing and bank account number. Is this standard? Why would they ask for this info if not to create an account and see what I'm spending on?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 10:50 am
I would not give out this info

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 10:55 am
A legitimate place does not ask for bank account information. I would not give my info and this is definitely a red flag. There's no reason a tuition aid organization would need your bank account info.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 10:57 am
I fill out a form for how I want to pay my tuition. I pay via bank withdrawal so I give them the routing and account number. It could be shady or not. I would ask them why they want it.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:02 am
It’s weird that they ask that but just so you know it is on the bottom of your check so it is public not private.
The series of numbers on the bottom of your check are your routing number and account number.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:02 am
mha3484 wrote:
I fill out a form for how I want to pay my tuition. I pay via bank withdrawal so I give them the routing and account number. It could be shady or not. I would ask them why they want it.

This. In what capacity are they asking for it? A school we used to send to asked for the last 3 months of credit card and bank statements. We said no. That was that. And we got it anyway. They basically want to make sure you don't have a vacation home, a boat, extra cars, and that you don't go on lots of vacations, etc.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:40 am
watergirl wrote:
This. In what capacity are they asking for it? A school we used to send to asked for the last 3 months of credit card and bank statements. We said no. That was that. And we got it anyway. They basically want to make sure you don't have a vacation home, a boat, extra cars, and that you don't go on lots of vacations, etc.

Interesting.

My school asks for bank statements, if I say no, I wont get deduction.

OP, my school has my banking number and routing number...and a lot of INFO....

The reason for this is because they want 3 months of everything. They want to see 3 months of bank statements, 3 months credit card statements, 3 months brokerage accounts...etc...

And guess what?? All these statements I give them have all the private information...so what? I trust the schools and need the scholarship. My kids schools wont give scholarship without giving all the documents.

In addition, 2 of my kids schools ask for these documents that have bank account info etc...on it....

But, they cant get into your account because
When you call up the bank, there are security questions...and an online account has a password that only you know.

(I'm wondering what the context is here. Are they asking for the bank info so you can pay from your checking account? If so, that's standard info given when paying. Or, are they asking because they want to see how much you have/spent in order to determine eligibility for deduction?? Then, maybe provide statements...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics