Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
What do you prefer as gift from guest?
Previous  1  2

banana123

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:13 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I've hosted alot because I live right near a Simcha hall. I don't expect a gift, but honestly will say that most vases/trays/etc..get regifted.

Of course, as a veteran chocoholic, that is the gift I enjoy the most.

But I'm glad to do the mitzva when I'm able, and gifts are not necessary.

I actually love getting things that I can regift. It saves me money on wedding presents. Smile

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:14 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
You can come be a guest at my house anytime!

Thanks! Sour sour grapes are in season now. They're meant to be cooked with. But they're fun to sneak a tart taste. Also currants and gooseberry. Mmmmm

Fave

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:53 pm
banana123 wrote:
If you can, come a bit early and help with the crazy hour just before Shabbat.
If you don't want to help clear the table or do dishes, no problem, just keep the kids busy so that we can do it. Smile

Please don’t come too early. We don’t need guests underfoot when we’re trying to get the kids bathed and the house in order.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:13 pm
Fruit, wine, good chocolate is always appreciated. Household items may or may not be needed (I must have a dozen challah covers and netilas yadaim towels) Good games for kids may be appreciated but again its hit or miss. We have received some amazing games our guest introduced us too. (and taught our kids how to play and played with them - even more appreciated!)

banana123

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:17 pm
Fave wrote:
Please don’t come too early. We don’t need guests underfoot when we’re trying to get the kids bathed and the house in order.

Bottom line, ask what time you should come, and if coming early to help would be a help. Smile

mereparfaite

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When hosting guests (family with kids) for shabbos do you prefer that they bring something for the house (nice vase, tray, etc.) or rather toys for the kids?

toy for the kids!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:26 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Chocolate and/or wine for the hosts, unless you know that they don't drink, are diabetic, etc. Sometimes you just need to check with them first, even though it will spoil the surprise.

NEVER bring candy for the kids. You have no way of knowing what the parents' rules are, and it's best not to go there.

A toy that everyone can play together is great, but check first. If the kids already have more toys than they can take care of, the parents might not appreciate one more.

Instead, sit down with the kids after the meal, and play one of their games with them. The gift of your time and attention is better than any new toy, and it will give the parents a chance to relax a bit. Priceless!

I wouldn't say NEVER. Most people in my circles would appreciate a nosh for the kids as a Shabbos party treat. I guess that depends. But I usually send an inexpensive nosh alongside a toy for the kids.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:29 pm
Sometimes a guest will tell me in advance that they will pick up a dessert. I appreciate that because it saves me a job and makes them feel they are bringing something that we will use.

happy12

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:48 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I wish my guests would realize that we don’t expect anything at all

I am constantly putting up people for neighbor s simchas. Please dont bring me anymore chatzkes onle consumables.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics