Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
$490 electric bill!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 1:34 pm
Omg, it's insane! We live in a s/d 1200 sq ft home in Brooklyn. Does this amount make sense?

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 1:45 pm
Is this for one month or two?

Is this a place. you just moved into or is the bill suddenly higher than you usually get.

I am not that shocked by the bill. If you have been home and using air conditioning all day, that runs up electrical quite a bit. My bills in the summer for a two month period when A/C is running constantly can be almost that for a smaller condo.

Otherwise, you can have the electrical company come out and verify that there isn't an issue in terms o the meter or someone tapping your line. Or some other kind of electrical use you are not thinking of - the equivalent of how much a leaky faucet can drive up a water bill.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 1:46 pm
Is this your first bill in a new house? Do you run the AC day and night? Do your kids leave the front door open all the time?

Sorry, electricity is crazy expensive. Turning off lights is not going to make much of a dent. Check to see if your electricity rate is cheaper during the night hours, and do your washing and drying when the rates switch over. Better yet, line dry your clothes. Sunny Electric dryers take up a ton of energy.

You might want to consult someone to give you advice on insulation. You'd be amazed what a difference double glazing and weather stripping can do. If you are in a private home, look into getting extra insulation in the attic as well.

Come winter, you'll be even more happy.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 1:48 pm
Our small starter home in Brooklyn 1200 square feet we use about 150 to 200 in electricity in the summer
We do not have central, so during the day only downstairs gets cooled, by night only the bedrooms upstairs

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:01 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Our small starter home in Brooklyn 1200 square feet we use about 150 to 200 in electricity in the summer
We do not have central, so during the day only downstairs gets cooled, by night only the bedrooms upstairs

How many units? Do you run it all day/ all night? On timer etc?

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Omg, it's insane! We live in a s/d 1200 sq ft home in Brooklyn. Does this amount make sense?

It is definitely crazy but if you are running a few a/c units 24/7 it is sadly what it will cost you.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:10 pm
We live in a tiny apartment and are extremely careful about shutting off lights and minimizing AC use because even our con Ed bill to go up to $150 in the peak of the summer. we almost never sleep with the AC (except for Friday night) so if you’re not careful then yes your bill can get super super high

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:21 pm
our bill is close to $300 a month in the summer.
During the day I usually have one (sometimes 2 AC units running) At night we have 4.
If you're not running central I don't see how the size of the house matters (AC wise).

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:25 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
We live in a tiny apartment and are extremely careful about shutting off lights and minimizing AC use because even our con Ed bill to go up to $150 in the peak of the summer. we almost never sleep with the AC (except for Friday night) so if you’re not careful then yes your bill can get super super high

How do you sleep without a/c when its very humid and hot?

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:26 pm
Are you sure u paid your electric bill last month? Maybe it's for 2 months combined?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:29 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:

We have windows above our beds. We shower right before bed. We have fans. If it’s very humid we leave it on but otherwise the temperature usually drops to the 70s overnight and it’s not terrible. Money is tight so we have to cut corners

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:07 pm
We make a monthly payment agreement with con ed. So let’s say 250 Every month. Winter months are of course less so it balances out. But yes 450 for june If your ac was constantly running makes sense. I live I a 1200sq ft attached, top floor and have hit 450in the summer.
If is also possible that its an estimate. Did they read your meters?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:22 pm

Under a ceiling fan.
Take a cool shower before bed, use cotton sheets, and apply powder to yourself, the sheets, or both.
If you have a box fan or table fan, place a big bowl of ice cubes topped with a wet cloth in front of it so the fan blows chilled air your way.

silverlining3

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:27 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
We make a monthly payment agreement with con ed. So let’s say 250 Every month. Winter months are of course less so it balances out. But yes 450 for june If your ac was constantly running makes sense. I live I a 1200sq ft attached, top floor and have hit 450in the summer.
If is also possible that its an estimate. Did they read your meters?

We also bh have a flat rate for the year. I like it better.
$490 I do think is insane. Or I don't know what regular a/c cost runs at. I have central, but am not specifically careful with anything else. Our highest, in the summer, before flat rate, was $270.
OP, sometimes they don't have access to meters and make an estimate. Once they're able to properly read they send you A BILL. Or maybe you missed 1 payment? I'd call them to check.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 5:11 pm
Insulation is everything

One house we had was built like a card board bungalow

Three rooms , one level , central a/c over 2000 a summer , oil 1500 a winter

Another house, solid brick house , built well, 2 floors, liv room , 4 bedrooms, den, dining room

Central a/c. 400 for the summer...

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 1:31 am
Yup yup we also have 3 bedroom mansion (lol) in Brooklyn 1300 sq ft and central AC ...runs that price range .... can't be stingy on AIR Everyone becomes kookoo and wacky when it is HOT . God provides. Im stingy with getting a bigger home
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries