Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
I hope he gets sued
1  2  Next

SisterSix

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 8:41 pm
What an obnoxious breach of privacy.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/16/.....exts/

tweety1

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 8:44 pm
Wow just wow. The lowest of the lowest. How dare he?!

-Sunnygirl

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 8:52 pm
That's insane! a complete breach of privacy... you never know who is reading over your shoulder!
but that book would probably be fascinating lol

Petra

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 9:06 pm
People think they can do all kinds of things just because they have a phone and nobody can tell.

Reminds me of an incident that happened to me.

I just boarded my 2 hour flight, heading to a conference. It was the end of my work day and I was tired and spent. Was in my work outfit and a snood. Sitting in the aisle seat.

This approaching middle age guy one seat in front of me, wearing jeans, flip flops and a cabana shirt, and on the other side of the aisle was holding his phone kind of awkwardly.

A few minutes later I looked up and realized he had taken a picture of my face and sent it to somebody with the caption, "this woman looks like an angry man". (He must have had a big phone because otherwise I would never have been able to see that).

Anway, I was pretty miffed. At the end of the flight when we all get up to leave, I was standing right next to his seat because he was trapped in it.

I looked him in the eye and told him, "I saw you took a picture of my face and sent it to someone. If you have an ounce of decency, you will delete it".

He turned beet red and said "what..." and started to stammer. I got shocked looks from those surrounding us and they all started looking at him. Then I walked off the plane.

Later, I looked up whether it was illegal to take someone's picture without consent. Unfortunately, in public space, it is not. They can do whatever they want.

Still, it's just not a nice thing to do. Some people are just a back end of a donkey!

number

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 9:15 pm
Anyone know if it’s legal? The article didn’t discuss that at all.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 9:53 pm
Oh my that is horrible and not "harmless street photography" at all.
I hope this isn't legal.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 10:14 pm
Petra wrote:
People think they can do all kinds of things just because they have a phone and nobody can tell.

I just boarded my 2 hour flight, heading to a conference. It was the end of my work day and I was tired and spent. Was in my work outfit and a snood. Sitting in the aisle seat.

This approaching middle age guy one seat in front of me, wearing jeans, flip flops and a cabana shirt, and on the other side of the aisle was holding his phone kind of awkwardly.

A few minutes later I looked up and realized he had taken a picture of my face and sent it to somebody with the caption, "this woman looks like an angry man". (He must have had a big phone because otherwise I would never have been able to see that).

Anway, I was pretty miffed. At the end of the flight when we all get up to leave, I was standing right next to his seat because he was trapped in it.

I looked him in the eye and told him, "I saw you took a picture of my face and sent it to someone. If you have an ounce of decency, you will delete it".

He turned beet red and said "what..." and started to stammer. I got shocked looks from those surrounding us and they all started looking at him. Then I walked off the plane.

Later, I looked up whether it was illegal to take someone's picture without consent. Unfortunately, in public space, it is not. They can do whatever they want.

Still, it's just not a nice thing to do. Some people are just a back end of a donkey!

Good. For. You.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 10:16 pm
Does anyone know if having a privacy screen on your phone (the kind where you can only see what's on your screen from directly above and not side) would prevent such photographs from being legible?
I'm so unnerved by this guy and the way he's so proud of this despicable thing he's done.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:09 pm
Petra wrote:

Bravo to you!

turca

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 12:36 am
Petra wrote:

Well, some Jewish publications do the same.
A few years ago, my parents spent sukkot with us. A few days before YT, my father went to 13th ave in BP to search for an etrog etc. Erev Tov, one of my boys brought over one of those Yiddish magazine that has pictures. He opens a page, and shows a bunch of pictures of men looking at etrogim. We obviously don’t speak Yiddish but we could figure what “ sepharadishe kik etrog” means. It was a picture of my father holding an etrog. We were happy that they figured out my father as a Sephardic Jew because he was wearing denim and a colored shirt and a large black kippah, even my father/family has light skin. Lol

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 8:33 am
The most obnoxious aspect is that this fotog is PROUD of his despicable activity, and, evidently, so is the NY Post. No surprise there: it always was a rag and always will be.

DrMom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 8:59 am
zaq wrote:
The most obnoxious aspect is that this fotog is PROUD of his despicable activity, and, evidently, so is the NY Post. No surprise there: it always was a rag and always will be.

Assuming this is all legal, it is very disturbing.

OTOH, the screenshots in the NYPost article were very interesting. It's actually an interesting idea for an art exhibit.

So curious about the cantaloupe.

I thought his comments about NYC becoming less photogenic were spot on.

Rappel

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 9:03 am
Lol. This is the modern upskirt shot. It's definitely going to generate discussion

avrahamama

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 9:32 am
DrMom wrote:
Assuming this is all legal, it is very disturbing.

OTOH, the screenshots in the NYPost article were very interesting. It's actually an interesting idea for an art exhibit.

So curious about the cantaloupe.

I thought his comments about NYC becoming less photogenic were spot on.

I think after the last 6 months NYC has become photogenic again... Just I liked living in NYC when the photos were of people peacefully enjoying themselves...

imasoftov

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 10:55 am
tweety1 wrote:
Wow just wow. The lowest of the lowest. How dare he?!
Rappel wrote:
Lol. This is the modern upskirt shot. It's definitely going to generate discussion

Now that you mention it, that's lower than taking pictures of someone texts (unless they include intimate photographs ...) There might even be lower things than that, as Bob Dylan wrote, “The ladder of the law has no top and no bottom”

DrMom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 11:43 am
avrahamama wrote:
I think after the last 6 months NYC has become photogenic again... Just I liked living in NYC when the photos were of people peacefully enjoying themselves...

Good point! Confused

HelloG

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 2:27 am
he is uncomfortable posting with names and is cropping the photos
aha

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 2:36 am
SisterSix wrote:
What an obnoxious breach of privacy.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/16/.....exts/

Can you summarize the article please? My filter is blocking it...

asmileaday

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 2:46 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Can you summarize the article please? My filter is blocking it...

A photographer went around zooming in on people's cellphone screens and taking pictures of their texting conversations they were in middle of.
He's publishing it in a book.
Claims it's the same as street photography.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 2:50 am
Quote:
Did you ever ask permission to shoot their phones?
No. It’s just so not my methodology. I’m interested in the real.

Qoute from the article.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics