Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Horseback riding at Jamaica Bay Riding Academy

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 10:03 pm
My daughter just had her first riding lesson at Jamaica Bay Riding Academy. She was really looking forward to it, and spoke about it all week, but she came home pretty disappointed. The instructor was not friendly, attentive or patient. She did not even bother asking her for her name. She did not give her feedback when she was doing something right, and she was on her phone some of the time during the lesson (This is not just rude; it is a safety issue!). When my daughter asked if she should let the horse smell her hand first, as a way on an introduction (this is common practice with animals), the instructor's response was: "NO, don't do that. He bites". The horse looked more like a retired donkey than a horse. And the lesson was not outdoors along the shoreline but in an inside ring instead. (That I can understand but not the lack of friendliness). I do not know what they pay their instructor per lesson, but I just shelled out $100 which is a lot of money for us and I did it because my daughter is not in camp this summer, and I wanted to give her something else to keep her happy and occupied instead.

My daughter does not want me to complain to them about the teacher because if she comes back for another lesson, it would be quite uncomfortable for her -- especially if continuing with the same teacher, but even just seeing her around the ring. Now she is not even sure she wants to go back. Did any of you have a positive experience with this place? They were not very nice or patient with me on the phone either when I called initially, and it made me wonder if they dislike Jewish people or are perhaps just rude to everyone in general.

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

PS Anon for this because I discussed sending her for lessons with others in 'real' life.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:28 pm
I took riding lessons there many years ago so my experience is not current. I have ridden at many places and taken lessons at different stables.

What you have described is unacceptable and you should request another instructor.

That said, I have sympathy with your daughter as my cousin and I had that kind of terrible instructor when I was very young and we were too intimidated to even tell our mothers that we were barely being taught. The instructor took advantage of us. It is hard to learn to be assertive and not think people will think you are obnoxious when you are young.

I don’t know if this helps. There are certainly good instructors who would give you value for the cost but you have to tell the owner Or manager of the stable that you think perhaps someone else would be a better fit. No need to be accusatory

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:37 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I took riding lessons there many years ago so my experience is not current. I have ridden at many places and taken lessons at different stables.

What you have described is unacceptable and you should request another instructor.

That said, I have sympathy with your daughter as my cousin and I had that kind of terrible instructor when I was very young and we were too intimidated to even tell our mothers that we were barely being taught. The instructor took advantage of us. It is hard to learn to be assertive and not think people will think you are obnoxious when you are young.

I don’t know if this helps. There are certainly good instructors who would give you value for the cost but you have to tell the owner Or manager of the stable that you think perhaps someone else would be a better fit. No need to be accusatory

Thank you for sharing your experiences. If she is still open to giving it another try, I think I will request another instructor. My daughter said that the instructor did teach her some important things despite all the above, and maybe it is just her style etc... But I explained that someone can be firm but friendly at the same time, and it just does not sound like this was the case here. I am hoping she will try again. She loves animals and I was hopeful this would be a good experience for her.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:39 pm
I did one lesson at Jamaica Bay a long time ago. My instructor was kind and communicative, not at all like you describe, though I came out of the lesson very confused. If you continue there, then take a different instructor.

I continued learning and riding in the stable near prospect park for the next year and a half. Less professional, but oh so much more fun. The stable culture there was very open and friendly, and I liked to just spend time there and saddle/groom the horses. By the end, I was assisting instructors in their lessons.

This was all easily a decade ago. So things may have changed. But I enjoyed riding and learning in prospect park.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 6:54 am
I watched a group lesson at prospect park- the kids were having a wonderful time and the instructors were attentive and caring

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 7:22 am
Horseback riding is not for frum girls

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 7:38 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:

Sometimes the reasons supporting horseback riding overrides you’re statement
Sometimes horseback riding helps frum girls stay frum girls

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 8:09 am
Not acceptable at all. For sure report the instructor. And if they don’t want to work with you getting someone else etc take her somewhere else. We happened to have gone there years ago once and I also didn’t feel it was the friendliest place.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 8:09 am

Can’t believe you came on to this thread to say This. Can't Believe It

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 9:30 am
As others have posted, stables do have "personalities" and some are just more easy going especially for an inexperienced rider. Riding - even on a casual level - is an an expensive sport.

I haven't ridden at the Prospect Park Stable for years either and never took lessons there but I did use them to ride in the park. I also took a few lessons at the stable near Central Park before it closed.

Unfortunately there aren't that many choices in the New York City area.

You might want to check out the stable near Prospect Park which I think is called Kensington Stables. I think it might be geared more to inexperienced riders and be less snobby. I suspect that Jamaica has a lot of people who board their horses and they might cater more to that kind of more affluent experienced rider. Prospect Park might be a better fit for a young rider who is not that familiar with horses.

How terrible that there are wonderful experiences that some people think from girls should not be allowed to participate in.

FWIW, perhaps you could get a book on horse behavior etc. so your daughter feels more familiar with how horses think and react. It was really stupid that the instructor admonished your daughter that the horse was a biter. Part of learning how to ride - versus just being plopped on a horse as if it is a merry go round inanimate object - is learning safety and how to approach and be around the horse safely so that there is mutual respect. Horses were prey and so their protective instinct is to react if they are startled - there are ways to safely maneuver and stroke horses and befriend them.

ETA - Also if your daughter is a bit horse crazy, there are some tween type of series that are horse themed which she might enjoy. There is the Canterwood Stable series. And Black Beauty which I loved and reread every summer along with Little Women.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 9:34 am

That’s like saying exercise isn’t for frum woman.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 9:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for sharing your experiences. If she is still open to giving it another try, I think I will request another instructor. My daughter said that the instructor did teach her some important things despite all the above, and maybe it is just her style etc... But I explained that someone can be firm but friendly at the same time, and it just does not sound like this was the case here. I am hoping she will try again. She loves animals and I was hopeful this would be a good experience for her.

Riding instructors do have different styles and even the "friendliest" have a style in which they are barking out instructions and corrections.

My most memorable riding instructor was an old man who had actually been in some type of cavalry in one of the European countries. If my posture wasn't correct, he would tell me to straighten up and remember the peasants who were on foot. LOL LOL

Rappel

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 10:07 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Riding instructors do have different styles and even the "friendliest" have a style in which they are barking out instructions and corrections.

My most memorable riding instructor was an old man who had actually been in some type of cavalry in one of the European countries. If my posture wasn't correct, he would tell me to straighten up and remember the peasants who were on foot. LOL LOL

I never had a barker, but he sounds amazing LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics