Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
Showing pictures of other but hiding yourself

Leahh

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:12 pm
I noticed a phenomenon on social media (Instagram in particular) that people won't show their own faces or those of their children but will show other people's faces. Why is that ok? If you don't want to be plastered all over social media who says the next person does!? And its not as though they asked permission.
One blogger went on a family vacation. She does show herself but not her children. She took a picture of the men davening Mincha at an amusement park. She covered her children with emojis but all other children were left to be seen. Why is that OK?
Another popular blogger has never shown her face on Instagram. Yet, when she's in a public place she posts pictures of others. She was just in the airport and while talking about her trip had the camera positioned to show all the people on line ahead of her. Just so that she didn't have to show her face. Why is that ok?
If you won't show your own face, or your family's, then don't show others!

aliavi

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:21 pm
I don’t think it is okay. I assume people aren’t blurring others’ faces because the photo doesn’t identify the bystanders.

Leahh

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:35 pm
There are definitely pictures that clearly identify others.
I even messages a blogger about it once and was ignored.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:44 pm
That was my first ques when I joined Instagram...

Leahh

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:45 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
That was my first ques when I joined Instagram...

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one bothered by it.
For the record, I do not post pictures on Instagram. Not of my family or others.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 11:51 pm
Never thought about it but you have a great point.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 12:11 am
Can I naively ask why you are asking us, instaed of the people who are actually doing it..

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 12:55 am
Simple.
People only care about themselves.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 1:01 am
Unfortunately I don't think anyone can have any expectation of privacy while out in the world anymore. I'm not saying I agree with it or like it -- but rather this is just the world we live in. With my kids doing 3 months of Zoom school, I couldn't even have an expectation of privacy in my own home!
I remind my kids all the time, that every time they set foot out the door, someone can be taking pictures or recording video. So always make sure you're not doing anything embarrassing.

As a side note, I recently and unexpectedly found a wedding photo of DH and I plastered on FB. It had been damaged when my ILs moved and they gave it to a photographer to restore. He then went ahead and used it for before and afters to promote his business. I don't know if my MIL gave permission for him to do this but I sure didn't. And I was very, very upset about it. But this is the world today.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 2:24 am
It is 1000% not ok and we should call out people who are doing this

Leahh

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 8:28 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Can I naively ask why you are asking us, instaed of the people who are actually doing it..

I did message one of them about it and she ignored me.
But I was also wondering if maybe its something silly that bothers me but isn't really a big deal.

Classicookie

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 9:07 am
It not OK but I think it has to do with if I share my name with Pic it's my identity but if I show outhers it's more anonymous bec it's just random people. I don't do Instagram but I do share family pics on my social media but try not to post outher people unless I know its OK

Leahh

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 9:11 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Unfortunately I don't think anyone can have any expectation of privacy while out in the world anymore. I'm not saying I agree with it or like it -- but rather this is just the world we live in. With my kids doing 3 months of Zoom school, I couldn't even have an expectation of privacy in my own home!
I remind my kids all the time, that every time they set foot out the door, someone can be taking pictures or recording video. So always make sure you're not doing anything embarrassing.

As a side note, I recently and unexpectedly found a wedding photo of DH and I plastered on FB. It had been damaged when my ILs moved and they gave it to a photographer to restore. He then went ahead and used it for before and afters to promote his business. I don't know if my MIL gave permission for him to do this but I sure didn't. And I was very, very upset about it. But this is the world today.

This is very true. But if you want privacy for yourself then extend that same courtesy to others.

Leahh

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 9:12 am
Classicookie wrote:
It not OK but I think it has to do with if I share my name with Pic it's my identity but if I show outhers it's more anonymous bec it's just random people. I don't do Instagram but I do share family pics on my social media but try not to post outher people unless I know its OK

Could be but its not like they're giving their address and personal phone numbers. Its their name and face.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 12:45 pm
I know a blogger that shows her kids but not herself or her husband. I find it kind of hypocritical.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media