Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
DD seems ready but

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 9:55 pm
My dd is almost 3. She seemed interested in using the potty, and on her first try she made a poop in the potty. It kind of scared her I guess because since then she is nervous to use the potty. But if I take her diaper off she is able to hold it in and she won’t make on the floor. She will just ask for a pull up eventually. Should I just give on trying to get her to go?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 10:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My dd is almost 3. She seemed interested in using the potty, and on her first try she made a poop in the potty. It kind of scared her I guess because since then she is nervous to use the potty. But if I take her diaper off she is able to hold it in and she won’t make on the floor. She will just ask for a pull up eventually. Should I just give on trying to get her to go?

Give up on trying to make her go- this is one aspect of life that she has complete control over and you don’t need the power struggle. Start incentivizing like crazy- prizes, candy, whatever so that it becomes her choice. And pretend that you don’t care either way so that she doesn’t have your stress to deal with as well as her own. Good luck!

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Jul 18 2020, 10:52 pm
Don't pressure her but don't give in either.

what I did for poop in the potty fears was
-let go of all the pressure. no bribes, no asking every five minutes "do you need to go?" etc
-give a treat as soon as they sit on the potty. not for making, just to give them positive association. A tiny treat like one chocolate chip.
- give lots of juice and water, prune juice if you can, throughout the day
-bananas, blueberries, avocado, watermelon, pears (ds likes the pear puree baby food jars)
those foods will make it so she won't be able to hold it in. You do not want her to become backed up and constipated
-do not berate her for accidents. she is learning how the urge feels so accidents actually help. after an accident just put her straight on the potty and repeat "poop goes in the potty"
-don't overdo the praise once she goes in the potty

good luck!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 1:04 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Don't pressure her but don't give in either.

what I did for poop in the potty fears was
-let go of all the pressure. no bribes, no asking every five minutes "do you need to go?" etc
-give a treat as soon as they sit on the potty. not for making, just to give them positive association. A tiny treat like one chocolate chip.
- give lots of juice and water, prune juice if you can, throughout the day
-bananas, blueberries, avocado, watermelon, pears (ds likes the pear puree baby food jars)
those foods will make it so she won't be able to hold it in. You do not want her to become backed up and constipated
-do not berate her for accidents. she is learning how the urge feels so accidents actually help. after an accident just put her straight on the potty and repeat "poop goes in the potty"
-don't overdo the praise once she goes in the potty

good luck!

Thanks! The thing is she doesn’t have accidents, she is able to hold it in, both poo and pee. That’s why I feel she’s ready. But she doesn’t want to make in the potty. I’ll try giving more drinks and treats for sitting.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 3:27 am
How about letting her go on the toilet, with a kid seat( the kind with a ladder attached) on top?
Some kids prefere that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training