Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Any way to prevent eczema?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 11:39 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Did you not have IV abx during labor ever?

What happens if you’re strep b positive? Not take antibiotics?

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 11:44 am
If it's genetic (related to autoimmune diseases) I don't see how you can prevent your baby from being born eith that gene.
That said, it runs in my family. Some have it bad. Some don't have it at all. I never got any till I was in my 30s, and it's triggered by stress. My mother didn't do anything different while pregnant, so it's just luck of the draw.
It can come from the father, too. My brother (who had bad eczema as a kid) has a baby with eczema, his wife never had any.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 12:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What happens if you’re strep b positive? Not take antibiotics?

It's an option. Arrive late to hospital with not enough time to get abx. plenty ppl do it by mistake so if it's important to you, you can do it intentionally. they'll monitor baby instead. but if baby does show signs of gbs, baby will get way more abx than if you'd have gotten via iv, so it's a risk you gotta be ready to take.

Another option is to do your best to be strep b negative. there are many options out there.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 12:19 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
If it's genetic (related to autoimmune diseases) I don't see how you can prevent your baby from being born eith that gene.
That said, it runs in my family. Some have it bad. Some don't have it at all. I never got any till I was in my 30s, and it's triggered by stress. My mother didn't do anything different while pregnant, so it's just luck of the draw.
It can come from the father, too. My brother (who had bad eczema as a kid) has a baby with eczema, his wife never had any.

You can't control genetics, but you can control epigenetics, if the gene is turned on or off.

Miri1

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 1:27 pm
It's an option. Arrive late to hospital with not enough time to get abx. plenty ppl do it by mistake so if it's important to you, you can do it intentionally. they'll monitor baby instead. but if baby does show signs of gbs, baby will get way more abx than if you'd have gotten via iv, so it's a risk you gotta be ready to take.

Another option is to do your best to be strep b negative. there are many options out there.

Why would you want to risk that?
Sometimes less intervention for the mother means more for the baby (as you just pointed out above). Untreated group B strep could also ch"v cause serious illness in the baby - far more serious than eczema.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 1:30 pm
OP, also keep a log of what you eat.
Discuss with an allergist (I'm not sure how long the mother's ingested foods are retained in the milk, not how long the eczema would remain after the original trigger).

I noticed for example that when I accidentally ate a salad dressing with raw egg, my baby's eczema worsened significantly.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 1:55 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
OP, also keep a log of what you eat.
Discuss with an allergist (I'm not sure how long the mother's ingested foods are retained in the milk, not how long the eczema would remain after the original trigger).

I noticed for example that when I accidentally ate a salad dressing with raw egg, my baby's eczema worsened significantly.

That’s after they already have eczema. I’m trying to avoid that.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 1:58 pm

I don’t consider this an option, but my worst eczema baby was the one that I had strep b. I don’t think I had much of a choice, so I guess it’s just what Hashem wanted.
Also, how can make sure I am not strep b positive?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 2:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t consider this an option, but my worst eczema baby was the one that I had strep b. I don’t think I had much of a choice, so I guess it’s just what Hashem wanted.
Also, how can make sure I am not strep b positive?

It's an option though I don't judge those who don't want to choose that option.

There are many ways. Do an imamother search or I'll let others chime in.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics