Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Is there any data on WHERE ppl pickup corona?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:34 pm
I don’t mean geographic locations..... I mean settings. We live in an area that is currently experiencing a surge— not huge, but a surge.

I am trying to explain to my 2 very anxious teenagers that if they don’t hang out in bars, beaches, restaurants, etc.... AND they wear masks, practice social distancing, etc.... the likelihood of them catching anything is very slim.

Is there any data to actually back this up? Or is my gut feeling totally incorrect?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:35 pm
I think you are correct but I would love if someone has data to back it up. I also think it’s not just bars but any crowded location.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:39 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
I think you are correct but I would love if someone has data to back it up. I also think it’s not just bars but any crowded location.

Right. I just used bars as an example. But any crowded location.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 6:54 pm
Quote:
The majority (1,474, or 67%) of Israelis caught it at home.

In second place: schools (210, or 9.5%). Third place: events (123, or 5.6%).

Other places in which people became infected included religious establishments, such as synagogues; yeshivot or mikvaot ritual baths (106, or 4.8%); places of entertainment (including restaurants or coffee shops (89, or 4%); work (48, or 2.2%); senior-living facilities (28, or 1.3%); stores or malls (26, or 1.2%); medical establishments (25, or 1.1%); at a sports field (24, or 1.1%). At all other verified locations, fewer than 1% of patients caught the virus, including at swimming pools, where 0.2% of people caught the virus.

This is Israeli data tracing sources of infection for those who were diagnosed over the past week. It is incomplete data, since it only accounts for about two thirds of the cases within that period. Some of the others refused to be traced, and the rest they couldn't be sure of the source of infection (multiple exposures). I took this from the Jerusalem Post website, but it's the same anywhere else.

As far as it goes, it backs up the general understanding that transmission normally takes place in crowded indoor environments.

This was in Israel, but, allowing for differences in lifestyle, I doubt there is any significant difference in America.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 7:49 pm
Such a good question! Yes we need more fact based info like this!
Thanks!

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:19 pm
If are most at risk if you are in a small enclosed area.

Bars have been singled out because people don’t wear masks and don’t socially distance so if you are in an enclosed location there is going to be more virus in the air. Similarly churches have been super spreader events especially if there is singing or chanting. Again it is because it causes a lot of virus to be spread in an enclosed area.

At this point any enclosed space is more dangerous than being outside. Large stores are safer because you can socially distance better especially if you and everyone else is wearing a mask.

It is fairly safe to be outside in a park or even at a beach if you socially distance. The virus is dissipated in open air. What has caused breakouts is when people don’t socially distance and don’t wear masks as some of the kids on Spring break did. Also some people went to restaurants or bars at the beach and don’t forget that public bathrooms are potentially sources of infection and one should really either avoid or use extreme sanitation by avoiding touching sirfaces as much as possible and washing hands thoroughly. The air dryers are terrible since they can blow the virus around.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:24 pm
Amarante-- do you have any statistics to back up what you are saying? what you are saying makes sense to me, but if I had actual data to back this up, I think I would be taken much more seriously.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Amarante-- do you have any statistics to back up what you are saying? what you are saying makes sense to me, but if I had actual data to back this up, I think I would be taken much more seriously.

Why do you need statistics? How would that help you evaluate every risk.

Google anything on how the virus is spread and what precautions to take.

There are slews of articles on what are considered to be high risk situations and which are lower risk. Small enclosed areas are higher risk than outdoors whatever you call them. A bar, a classroom, a store of any kind, an elevator are all the same if they are small and enclosed.

If you are food shopping, a large supermarket which requires mask and where people socially distance is safer than a small store. But safest is to do it as quickly as possible since there are some studies indicating that viral load might be significant in terms of whether one gets infected or even how sick one becomes.

If one wants to be as safe as possible one avoids high risk situations and uses the best masks available and practices social distancing. However if one is walking outside with a mask and is socially distancing, it is extremely unlikely that one will become infected because there is someone on the street who is contagious.

soap suds

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:40 pm
Well, we all know where you CAN’T Catch it. Just let them go to a protest and they’re sure to be fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics