Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Extremely overweight 5 year old

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 7:52 pm
My DD is 5.5 and she has always been on the larger side, but now she is dangerously large. This morning, she weighed 75 lbs.! That's the average weight of a kid double her age.
I have a really hard time getting her to eat well because she is so picky.
She doesn't like anything fleishig- no chicken, meat, cutlets, schnitzel, deli meat etc.
She loves challah, pasta, potatoes- so basically carbs.
I try to limit the amount of carbs she eats by simply not having them around. We never have soda or juice, and snacks are limited to Shabbos or special occasions.
I don't want her to feel deprived or make her feel like she can't eat the same things as her siblings, so I am very careful about how I redirect her eating choices.
But nothing I am doing seems to be working. I'm at a loss and very worried about her

lk1234

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:13 pm
Does she get physical activity? I think you need a pediatric nutritionist - your dr. should provide a recommendation for one.

Last edited by lk1234 on Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:15 pm
I think you should see a nutritionist on her behalf.

I also think you should see a psychologist on how to best educate her about healthy body image. I believe you can’t start to young. A child this age will pick up vibes from adults and children in her environment.

naomi2

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:20 pm
Seems like you are doing everything right. I would make an appointment to see an endocrinologist

Stars

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:42 pm
See an endo. If everything comes back normal dial back on the anxiety by a lot. Bodies come in different sizes and a person can be healthy at any size. Do try expanding her pallet in exciting ways. Would she go for a fruit smoothie?
For example a lot of kids will rather eat a dinner they helped make, and by helped I mean let them do a LOT. get child safe utensils and start getting her excited to be in the kitchen.

amother
White

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:53 pm
Definitely see an endo, make sure to get a copy of all results. But also look into seeing a functional medical doctor, they can help you get to the root of this. Very often, yeast, parasites and bacterial overgrowth can lead to carb cravings. Lack of certain gut microbes can also play into obesity. Living in mold can cause this. Could be a lentil deficiency due to various causes. And I hate to say this but her palate will not expand as long as she is getting her “fix” from carbs. I’ve heard of people using homeopathy to help with these kinds of addictions, but gut health will probably be the biggest piece.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 9:00 pm
If you want me to tell you what I wish my mother had known when I became obese at 6, you’re welcome to pm me.

momX4

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 9:10 pm
My son was about this age when his dr started talking about healthy eating. My ds was always off the charts weight wise.

At every exam the dr discussed healthy eating options (whole wheat, not rye. Home lunch, not school lunch) 100 calorie snacks and exercise. We never discussed the weight. Goal of a kid this young is NOT to lose weight, but to slow the weight gain.

Ds started playing soccer. He lost some weight by default. Ds attributed it to his snack options. He saw what his friends are.

As ds got older (12) the doctor discussed weight. We went to a nutritionist due to a concern. I learned alot, that ds was eating ok, he just needed more fruits, vegetables and bit more protein.

Ds went to camp right after. He had a growth spurt and lost 10 pounds. All baby fat is bh history and ds is very aware of what he eats. Ds also works out daily.

Edited to add that we went to an endocrinologist when ds was young to rule out any cause for weight gain.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 9:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My DD is 5.5 and she has always been on the larger side, but now she is dangerously large. This morning, she weighed 75 lbs.! That's the average weight of a kid double her age.
I have a really hard time getting her to eat well because she is so picky.
She doesn't like anything fleishig- no chicken, meat, cutlets, schnitzel, deli meat etc.
She loves challah, pasta, potatoes- so basically carbs.
I try to limit the amount of carbs she eats by simply not having them around. We never have soda or juice, and snacks are limited to Shabbos or special occasions.
I don't want her to feel deprived or make her feel like she can't eat the same things as her siblings, so I am very careful about how I redirect her eating choices.
But nothing I am doing seems to be working. I'm at a loss and very worried about her

are you me??
please take it from someone who has been there done that. I took Elisheva Weiner's course. it is a life saver. literally. check out her instagram page

momX4

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:09 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
are you me??
please take it from someone who has been there done that. I took Elisheva Weiner's course. it is a life saver. literally. check out her instagram page

Did your dc start eating chicken and meat. My ds eats all versions of pizza and eggs. He will eat a smoothie, yougurt and a salad occasionally. That's it.
Bh he is healthy, I just wish he ate a bigger variety of food.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:53 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Could be a lentil deficiency due to various causes.

What is a lentil deficiency??

amother
White

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:56 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
What is a lentil deficiency??
leptin
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics