Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Seminaries and yeshiva Opening in Israel ???!!
1  2  3  Next

happyone

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:20 pm
This was announced on various news sites as well as emails received.
How in heavens name can they be getting approvals with so many unknown variables and rising Covid case? On 9ne hand Israel is threatening full lockdown and in same breath giving approvals for overseas visitors studying there ??

chestnut

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 8:22 pm
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html
I agree, a bit strange

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 9:06 pm
Even if they’re allowed to open, I wouldn’t feel comfortable sending a child there to be quarantined and locked into the dorm for a year.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 9:08 pm
I feel the same. Not sending my daughter as of now and didn't hear anything from her seminary. Is this info even accurate?

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 9:50 pm
Just my opinion but any parent who sends their kid to a foreign country during the pandemic is crazy. There are plenty of places to learn in the US if that is the point.

People aren't sending their kids to college fairly close to home in the US because they don't think it is safe. Better to take a gap year or take classes close to home.

I might be cynical but I would imagine they are opening because they want to make the money and the government is giving in to pressure. Just because they are open, doesn't mean that a parent should send their kid half way around the world to a foreign country in the midst of a pandemic. How is this even such an enjoyable experience for the kid?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:01 pm
My dd was in seminary this year and had to come home for Pesach. They got the go ahead to fly back sometime after, but a couple days after we booked the ticket, Israel changed their mind and didn't let students in. My point being that the situation seems unpredictable and you don't know what can happen from one day to the next.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 10:52 pm
I have a dd who's supposed to be going to seminary this year. We didnt hear from her seminary since a few weeks ago. I wish they would just push off the opening until mid Oct/Nov and say they will make a definite decision after Sukkos. The situation in Israel is too uncertain right now to risk sending.

But if they do open I would be really conflicted. I dont want to deprive my dd of the experience, but the experience also wont be anything like a regular year. So is there reallly a point in going?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 11:11 pm
I have a DD planning to go, and I'm very happy about this news.

Her seminary has a good setup for 2 week quarantine, and has been working hard to come up with ways for the experience to be educational and meaningful, no matter what.

I think the kids who go this year will have a different experience than in previous years, but no less meaningful, and probably more meaningful.

And even with the spike, Israel is still safer than the US.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 11:51 pm
As I understand it, charedi parties threatened to pull out of the government if yeshiva students didn't get entry visas.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 12:06 am
I live in Israel and always host seminary girls and yeshiva bochurim.
Not this year
Sems better have a plan for every sueda those girls need

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 3:38 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
As I understand it, charedi parties threatened to pull out of the government if yeshiva students didn't get entry visas.

Really? Where did you hear this?

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 3:53 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:

There's a large group of yeshivas and seminaries who have been working on getting permits. They have been having zoom meetings to discuss. One of the charedi yeshivas has an in with a certain chaver Knesset who said in a government meeting that they would bolt if yeshiva students didn't get visas. This is third hand information, though I trust the sources.

banana123

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 3:57 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:

I don't know her sources but it is totally believable.

They won't really bolt but they like to threaten.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 4:18 am
I actually think the affect of covid on the sem world will be a positive thing.

People who can't afford seminary will no longer feel the social pressure to go.

On the other hand the girls who do will have a truly trans formative year with more actual learning/ programming and relaying less on the experience of Israel. I know some of the mechanchim and they are working very hard to make sure the girls have an amazing (if very different then usual) year.

Seminary changed my life, and I am a much emotionally healthier, spiritually healthier, and happier individual because of it.

I am so happy that the option will be available - but the pressure to go is off.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 4:45 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:

On the other hand the girls who do will have a truly trans formative year with more actual learning/ programming and relaying less on the experience of Israel. I know some of the mechanchim and they are working very hard to make sure the girls have an amazing (if very different then usual) year.

Seminary changed my life, and I am a much emotionally healthier, spiritually healthier, and happier individual because of it.

I am so happy that the option will be available - but the pressure to go is off.

Seminary was very good for me BUT it was the experience of being in Israel and meeting people and gedolim and traveling to the mekomos hakodishim that were amazing- the classes? They were good but not exactly transformative.

You can learn anywhere. The whole point of seminary in Israel is the israel part. If you are going to be locked in a dorm than I don't really see the point.

Ridethewaves

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 4:52 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:

Thanks for the positive attitude! Also know some amazing staff doing their best to give girls this opportunity. Obviously we’ve all been effected but I think we have to do our best to make it work. So many girls have been waiting years for seminary, it would be such a shame to miss!

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 4:52 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Seminary was very good for me BUT it was the experience of being in Israel and meeting people and gedolim and traveling to the mekomos hakodishim that were amazing- the classes? They were good but not exactly transformative.

You can learn anywhere. The whole point of seminary in Israel is the israel part. If you are going to be locked in a dorm than I don't really see the point.

It seems highly unlikely that kids will be locked in dorms all year long.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 5:09 am
I have a relative high up in meuchedet and it seems that they believe they will have a covid vaccine by dec./jan - so the 2nd half of the year will be the reg. israel experience hopefully.

Also while you could learn anywhere - leaving home and being in a dorm is a huge part. The sem's are still planning on taking them all over the country - just in groups with no contact with the locals.

But the biggest thing for me was the mechanchim who transformed my life and while I've met special people in the USA the infrastructure and experience that they have is not comparable to people who have been teaching, inspiring, and mentoring girls their entire life.

They have their fingers on this generations pulse in a way I have not experienced where I was from in the US . I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just that I wouldn't have had access to these type of people without sem.
Contrary to popular believe they really don't make a lot of money (the sem OWNERS do - but the actual mechanchim don't), and they really (mostly) are doing this lesheim shamayim. I am happy that other girls will be exposed to these really special people.

On the other hand I am happy that the pressure to go even if you can't afford is off - and hope it sticks post covid. Seminary always and is a luxury

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 5:16 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:

Depends where you went - my guess is a very bais yaakovy place - the mor BY the less transformative IME. For me it was the classes and the relationships I developed with staff

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 5:20 am
I was asked to host an American sem girl who I didn't know, plus her friend, plus their non-religious 'hosts' (a couple, the husband was the sem girl's cousin, and they neither slept in their house nor ate their food, so not sure if they're even 'hosts' anymore). No way. With the covid situation in the US I'm not welcoming into my home perfect strangers and risking my health and that of my family. As someone mentioned, I hope the sems have a plan B.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics