Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Best way to store digital photos?

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 7:54 pm
For all you photography gurus out there, what's the best way to store all my family photos?

Right now I have older pictures on CD's, and my newer pictures on my computer's hard drive - something is telling me that there's a new, more efficient way to store and organize my pictures.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Bleemee

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 7:57 pm
You should have two locations- a hard drive and a cloud.

cheerios

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:20 am
Which is the best place to store them online? Google photos? I've already used up all my storage. Is it worth it to pay for storage?

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:30 am
cheerios wrote:
Which is the best place to store them online? Google photos? I've already used up all my storage. Is it worth it to pay for storage?

How much would you regret losing all your photographs?

One should have two separate storage for anything important. Actually your computer, phone and iPad should all be backed up - preferably with an automatic backup program. One should be OFF SITE - which means on the cloud somewhere.

I pay for extra iCloud storage because it is the simplest way for me to make sure everything is backed up automatically I also have a separate external hard drive which backs up automatically EVERY HOUR.

Why is this critical. At some point I can guarantee you will lose your data on one device - either it will be stolen, lost or it will just die. All computers have a useful life and over the years some of my computers just died mysteriously with no warning.

Having my entire computer backed up meant that when I brought the new computer home, all I had to do was set it up and copy my backup to the new computer. A few hours later I had a new computer with everything that was on my old computer including setups, applications etc.

The same is true of your phone. When I got a new iPhone, all of my important data including contact, notes was just copied from my backup and I was good to go without anything but a momentary blip instead of a catastrophe.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:43 am
Is anyone not worried that your data can be hacked at any time? That whoever it might be has access to all your pictures? This is what is stopping me from using an online cloud service.

giselle

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:47 am
I use iCloud and Shutterfly. My photos get uploaded from my phone automatically, and I can order them directly from Shutterfly.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 10:49 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Is anyone not worried that your data can be hacked at any time? That whoever it might be has access to all your pictures? This is what is stopping me from using an online cloud service.

If I were famous and had nude or otherwise compromising photos, maybe.

My photos are worthless to anyone else LOL LOL LOL

cheerios

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 2:57 pm
What I meant is it worth paying for say google storage as opposed to shutterfly which I believe has free storage.

mom4many

Post Tue, Nov 03 2020, 4:17 pm
Amarante wrote:
How much would you regret losing all your photographs?

One should have two separate storage for anything important. Actually your computer, phone and iPad should all be backed up - preferably with an automatic backup program. One should be OFF SITE - which means on the cloud somewhere.

I pay for extra iCloud storage because it is the simplest way for me to make sure everything is backed up automatically I also have a separate external hard drive which backs up automatically EVERY HOUR.

Why is this critical. At some point I can guarantee you will lose your data on one device - either it will be stolen, lost or it will just die. All computers have a useful life and over the years some of my computers just died mysteriously with no warning.

Having my entire computer backed up meant that when I brought the new computer home, all I had to do was set it up and copy my backup to the new computer. A few hours later I had a new computer with everything that was on my old computer including setups, applications etc.

The same is true of your phone. When I got a new iPhone, all of my important data including contact, notes was just copied from my backup and I was good to go without anything but a momentary blip instead of a catastrophe.

How is this done? Lets say I get external storage, how do I get it to back up automatically even once a day?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics