Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Pre 9 days laundry 🙄
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

salt

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 7:21 am
Cmon be nice wrote:
It says here even motzai TB u can do laundry

אם השעה דחוקה

With long Fridays, I don't know if I can use that as an excuse. But everyone can decide for themselves.

rivkam

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 7:24 am
So happy to be sephardi. At least we can do laundry till shabbat

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 7:27 am
salt wrote:
אם השעה דחוקה

With long Fridays, I don't know if I can use that as an excuse. But everyone can decide for themselves.

Given that Tisha B'Av always falls in the summer, when long Fridays are the standard (unless you're down under, but in Chazal's time they weren't), I think it's a given that if it says that, it includes long Fridays.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 7:34 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Given that Tisha B'Av always falls in the summer, when long Fridays are the standard (unless you're down under, but in Chazal's time they weren't), I think it's a given that if it says that, it includes long Fridays.

On the other hand, Chazal were also ruling based on an expectation of hand laundry (which takes time) and air drying, which takes a long time after hand washing. The intention seems to be to have clean clothes ready for Shabbos.

Still, laundry is permitted from Thursday night. Despite the different circumstances, we don't have to be frummer than Chazal.

top mom

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 7:53 am
Good for you, Elfrida!
Slightly j! Wink
Load #4 is in bh

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 8:46 am
salt wrote:
אם השעה דחוקה

But I'm pretty sure you don't have to wait for chatzos to do most things. Just not music/wine/meat. CYL halacha sheet/forward you're bound to see over the next week.

Success10

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:05 am
On to my 6th outfit today and the kids still haven't noticed.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:06 am
Success10 wrote:
On to my 6th outfit today and the kids still haven't noticed.

If it was your husband you'd really have a reason to complain.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:09 am
Success10 wrote:
Also, you might want to wear a few different outfits for half an hour each, so that you won't be wearing freshly laundered clothes during the 9 days.

Do you think of I sleep in the pile of unfolded laundry it can count as being preworn? I'm asking seriously. Is this a good hack?

Success10

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:15 am
avrahamama wrote:
Do you think of I sleep in the pile of unfolded laundry it can count as being preworn? I'm asking seriously. Is this a good hack?

LOL Ask a rabbi, if you have the guts.

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:20 am
avrahamama wrote:

Our minhag is to step on it.
I'm sure if you sleep on it after not showering for a week it should be okay Smile

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:21 am
It seems like there are so many versions in the nine days...noone knows the clear halachos of what is allowed and what not. Some ppl throw on the floor, some try on, some crumple their clothing.

I mean its nice to learn in school, or from a book with halachos, that showering is not allowed. But seriously, is it possible that people walk around in the heat without showers? Is it even possible to try on every outfit, for 8 kids, that we are going to be wearing? Do you think Im a machine that can make sure every child has enough for 9 days? (I have teens as well). All washed and ironed in time? I do the best I can, but seriously cant imagine squeezing in the trying on.

I have this every year....I wish I knew the actual halachos, not just what people say, or minhagim they claim to do.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:24 am
Success10 wrote:
LOL Ask a rabbi, if you have the guts.

I just texted him. I've asked him crazier questions. He's a tzadik. He will laugh and then answer me. I'll keep you posted.

jewishmom6

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:26 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
It seems like there are so many versions in the nine days...noone knows the clear halachos of what is allowed and what not. Some ppl throw on the floor, some try on, some crumple their clothing.

I mean its nice to learn in school, or from a book with halachos, that showering is not allowed. But seriously, is it possible that people walk around in the heat without showers? Is it even possible to try on every outfit, for 8 kids, that we are going to be wearing? Do you think Im a machine that can make sure every child has enough for 9 days? (I have teens as well). All washed and ironed in time? I do the best I can, but seriously cant imagine squeezing in the trying on.

I have this every year....I wish I knew the actual halachos, not just what people say, or minhagim they claim to do.

Why do kids need to try on clothes?

pause

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:29 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

Guess what. It is seriously possible to not shower. We hold that if necessary, one can wash body parts. So we'll wash underarms and privates with a washcloth, but not a full shower. L'kovod Shabbos regular showers.

We don't do the trying on outfits. DH claims that wearing an outfit for a few minutes doesn't undo its status as freshly laundered. He changes once during the day today, and uses these two shirts throughout the nine days (except Shabbos when he puts on a fresh one). Underwear gets changed daily regardless. Kids don't need to do this anyway. As for myself, I re-wear as long as I can and then step on a "new" one before wearing. A lot for me depends on where I'm up to in life (if I have my period, pregnant, nursing, etc.)

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:32 am
I really struggle with this. Do you all have enough clothes for 9 days???? (especially if pregnant) I only have 2 or 3 skirts that fit me and are tznius. I usually end up cheating and throwing something of mine in with my kids laundry.

Anyway I started sunday and have a huge machine...up to load 2 for today.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:52 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

There are def diff minhagim. That’s why you ask a rav. My parents do very diff then my DH - More lenient.

This is What we do.

Clothing - try on outfits minimum 10 min. Ages 9 and up. I have kids lay out clothing on their beds and try on for 10 min. At that age they are old enough to manage themselves. Well do this tonight like 5:30-7:00.
We do about 6-7 outfits if we have. Kids will wear things twice if clean.
Shabbos we wear fresh.
Tisha b’av we try to wear something worn a full day already.
Underwear, undershirts, socks we don’t try on.

Towels - we use fresh for Shabbos. So today I’ll put out a bunch of hand towels and after 1-2 hands put away. Everyone got clean towels last night for their showers and will get again for Shabbos. On Shabbos I try to use a few handtowels to have for next week new.

Laundry - I do for 7 and younger. For everyone else spot clean as necessary.

Showers - we do quick cold showers. Try to leave one limb out if possible. It’s not possible to take long cold showers anyways.

Other halachos: shopping, starting new projects, swimming, dangerous activities, trips, etc.

cbsp

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:54 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

Who's no one?

There are sefarim available and rabbonim to ask for clarification.

Here's a link to a publication put out by the Agudah.

Halachos of the Three Weeks - Agudath Israel of America

https://tinyurl.com/Agudah3weeks9days

(it'll download a .pdf)

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:07 am
sky wrote:
There are def diff minhagim. That’s why you ask a rav. My parents do very diff then my DH - More lenient.

This is What we do.

Clothing - try on outfits minimum 10 min. Ages 9 and up. I have kids lay out clothing on their beds and try on for 10 min. At that age they are old enough to manage themselves. Well do this tonight like 5:30-7:00.
We do about 6-7 outfits if we have. Kids will wear things twice if clean.
Shabbos we wear fresh.
Tisha b’av we try to wear something worn a full day already.
Underwear, undershirts, socks we don’t try on.

Towels - we use fresh for Shabbos. So today I’ll put out a bunch of hand towels and after 1-2 hands put away. Everyone got clean towels last night for their showers and will get again for Shabbos. On Shabbos I try to use a few handtowels to have for next week new.

Laundry - I do for 7 and younger. For everyone else spot clean as necessary.

Showers - we do quick cold showers. Try to leave one limb out if possible. It’s not possible to take long cold showers anyways.

Other halachos: shopping, starting new projects, swimming, dangerous activities, trips, etc.

Please tell me more about not starting new projects. You mean big things? Kids starting a new hobby?

sky

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:08 am
cozyblanket wrote:
Please tell me more about not starting new projects. You mean big things? Kids starting a new hobby?

We were told if kids wanted to start building something outside (not sure if they can continue - we have to ask). Or even told not to start new investments or bank accounts. I don’t know rules for specific cases.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days