Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Pre 9 days laundry 🙄
Previous  1  2  3  4

thatworn

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:10 pm
My 8 month old made a tidal wade of vomit on my bed around 9PM. Literally, every drop of milk that he had imbibed was all over my sheet. That was a sheet that we were not going to sleep on, 9 days or not. TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI

cbsp

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:14 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Talking about my teens... my son came home 6:00 drained, and he is supposed to be trying on clothing? He is not interested.

For a few minutes or half hour? Stomping on it is enough? Im pregnant myself, so do I need to be busy trying on clothing on top of all my kids ironing, supper, bathing, housework....?

Im reading on this thread that everyone does things their own way. Noone really knows if its the right thing to do. Learning that showering or clean isnt allowed, doesnt help as majority of people do shower...I wish the halachos was clear cut, and feasible as well. Even asking a dayan, each one will say something else...

There are clear halachos. It's not that "noone really knows" - there be been numerous resources posted to this thread.

Of course, if you're going to ask it should be a dayan that your family follows. And yes, a sefardi posek will give a different answer than an ashkenazi and so on for the different sub categories. But that doesn't mean "noone knows"!

Colorpop

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 6:42 am
Usually I put my clothing on the floor a bit before I got dressed...just saw this thread and realized that I totally forgot this morning and put on new clothes!! Feeling a bit guilty now that I didn't wear my clothes for a bit yesterday.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 7:27 am
thatworn wrote:
My 8 month old made a tidal wade of vomit on my bed around 9PM. Literally, every drop of milk that he had imbibed was all over my sheet. That was a sheet that we were not going to sleep on, 9 days or not. TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI

Things that will smell or stain if not dealt with are allowed to be washed.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 8:03 am
cbsp wrote:
There are clear halachos. It's not that "noone really knows" - there be been numerous resources posted to this thread.

Of course, if you're going to ask it should be a dayan that your family follows. And yes, a sefardi posek will give a different answer than an ashkenazi and so on for the different sub categories. But that doesn't mean "noone knows"!

Lets rephrase and say MOST people don't know the exact halachos..It seems like everyone does their own thing.
Is there a source for throwing clothing on the floor? Anyone?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 8:05 am
I didn't read the whole thread but PSA: whether you do laundry or not, it will still pile up. You are allowed to sort it.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 9:55 am
cozyblanket wrote:
Please tell me more about not starting new projects. You mean big things? Kids starting a new hobby?

I Asked a whole list. And was given lots of no s.
Was told can only do home repairs if necessary for home to be livable or safe.
I had a whole list of home repairs for now - big and small and furniture repairs. Was told cannot do them even if for kids entertainment.
Cannot finish building project kids are doing outside.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 10:01 am
Does anyone know if buying something that is "davar ha'aved"- i.e.the store has a sale- permitted?

cbsp

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 10:21 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Lets rephrase and say MOST people don't know the exact halachos..It seems like everyone does their own thing.
Is there a source for throwing clothing on the floor? Anyone?

Yes, there is a source as I posted on the previous page quoting the entire discussion.

Here's the relevant paragraph :

Third, although one is not permitted even to wear freshly laundered clothing, just as a mourner may wear clothing which was previously worn for a short period by another person (Tosafot, Mo’ed Katan 24b; Orchot Chayyim, p. 584; Rama, Yoreh De’ah 389:1), it has similarly become customary to wear one’s freshly laundered clothing for a brief time before Rosh Chodesh, and to then wear them during the Nine Days. R. Yitzchak Ya’akov Weiss (Minchat Yizchak 10:44) cites those who permit throwing laundered clothing on the floor, as this is similar to wearing them before Rosh Chodesh. Seemingly, when garments are packed in a suitcase they also lose the freshly laundered quality, and one should be permitted to wear them during the Nine Days.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 10:32 am
cbsp, I was taught that pre-wearing is a custom. It's not something my family has ever held.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 10:33 am
WitchKitty wrote:
Does anyone know if buying something that is "davar ha'aved"- i.e.the store has a sale- permitted?

Ask a sheila. We were told not to buy.

cbsp

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 10:37 am
ra_mom wrote:
cbsp, I was taught that pre-wearing is a custom. It's not something my family has ever held.

Ok, wanted to just put it out there that there are plenty of sources that say it's halacha.

In the long section that I quoted earlier it goes through the whole halachic discussion... (with some paskening that is not necessary) but for those who do (according to the Rema) its halacha, not minhag

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 10:49 am
https://ohr.edu/1097

It is forbidden to wear freshly laundered clothing during the nine days. This includes all clothing except that which is worn to absorb perspiration.
Therefore, one must prepare before the nine days by wearing freshly laundered suits, pants, shirts, dresses, blouses and the like for a short time so that they may be worn during the nine days. Socks, undershirts and underwear need not be prepared.
Here too, the prohibition of using freshly laundered items applies to linens, tablecloths, and towels.
One may wear freshly laundered Shabbat clothing, as well as use clean tablecloths and towels. Changing bed linen though is prohibited.
Since one may wear freshly laundered garments on Shabbat, if one forgot or was unable to prepare enough garments before the nine days, he may change for Friday night and then change again on Shabbat morning. These garments may then be worn during the week.
This will apply only to clothing that is suitable to wear on Shabbat, since wearing a garment on Shabbat for the sole purpose of wearing it during the week is forbidden.
Fresh garments and Shabbat clothing may be worn in honor of a mitzvah for example at a brit milah for the parents, mohel, and sandek.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 11:01 am
To add to above - I got engaged during the 9 days. Chosson and kallah at lchaim/vort could wear fresh Shabbos clothing. Everyone else had to wear pre-worn weekday. The Halacha was pretty strict we were told.
My MIL told my mother this. My mother asked her own rav and was told the same.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:17 pm
WitchKitty wrote:

It is allowed. Though once you have brought it you should put it aside until after Tisha b'Av.

That is fine when it is a random sale that happens to coincide with the Nine Days. I get rather irritated by frum shops advertising 'Special offers until Tisha b'Av!' I tend to avoid those sales on principle.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:35 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
https://ohr.edu/1097

It is forbidden to wear freshly laundered clothing during the nine days. This includes all clothing except that which is worn to absorb perspiration.
Therefore, one must prepare before the nine days by wearing freshly laundered suits, pants, shirts, dresses, blouses and the like for a short time so that they may be worn during the nine days. Socks, undershirts and underwear need not be prepared.
Here too, the prohibition of using freshly laundered items applies to linens, tablecloths, and towels.
One may wear freshly laundered Shabbat clothing, as well as use clean tablecloths and towels. Changing bed linen though is prohibited.
Since one may wear freshly laundered garments on Shabbat, if one forgot or was unable to prepare enough garments before the nine days, he may change for Friday night and then change again on Shabbat morning. These garments may then be worn during the week.
This will apply only to clothing that is suitable to wear on Shabbat, since wearing a garment on Shabbat for the sole purpose of wearing it during the week is forbidden.
Fresh garments and Shabbat clothing may be worn in honor of a mitzvah for example at a brit milah for the parents, mohel, and sandek.

Quote:
It is forbidden to wear freshly laundered clothing during the nine days [even if they were laundered prior to the nine days. [The above prohibition only applies to one who changes for pleasure purposes, although it is permitted to change into fresh clothing if one’s clothing is dirty or smelly. Thus, those clothing that become overly dirty and sweaty, such as all undergarments and towels, may be worn even if they are freshly laundered from before the nine days. Furthermore, those who are accustomed to change their shirts constantly due to being overly sensitive to sweat, may do so even during the nine days, even if the shirt is freshly laundered from beforehand. However one may not change his pants or jacket to a fresh pair, unless the pair is unwearable. Furthermore, the meticulous are particular to not change any of their clothing throughout the week, not even their undergarments. All clothing which are permitted to be laundered during the nine days, as explained in Halacha 8, are likewise permitted to be worn in their freshly laundered state.

Bold is mine. https://shulchanaruchharav.com.....days/

So it does seem that there's tons of wiggle room.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days